  • In total there are 91 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 91 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 91 guests

Motor Boat Forum

New engine run in procedure

by shibbs » 27 Jun 2020, 07:00

Can anyone advise on what the process is for running a new engine in?
ie number of hours at what revs and so on? Does it vary from engine to engine?
Engine is a Merc 5.7 vortec.

by Ianfs » 27 Jun 2020, 14:32

You've got her back then. :D

by shibbs » 27 Jun 2020, 19:14

She is now safely tucked up back in her own storage spot, having had a couple of days cleaning and some new antifoul applied ready to hopefully, go in the water on Monday.

by Ianfs » 28 Jun 2020, 10:24

Great news.

Do these engines require running in any more?
Certainly cars don't need the running in that we used to have to do. Like running in oil and low revs for 500miles.
Argonaut and Colin are of only the best to give advice on this. :D

by wrinklywideboy » 30 Jun 2020, 08:48

I had a new Merc 4.3, shipped from the states, when I bought my boat - the boat didn’t have an engine when I bought it, but it was the perfect boat for us.
There is a running in schedule for the engine and it should be in your Operating & Maintenance Manual under Getting Started. If you can’t find it mine went like this - 20 hour break-in period
During whole of run in period frequently check engine oil levels and top up as necessary as it is normal for oil consumption to be high during the run-in.

FIRST 10 HOURS
- Do not operate below 1500 RPM for extended periods of time
- Do not exceed 3/4 speed
- Do not operate at one speed consistently.

NEXT 10 HOURS
- Occasionally operate at full throttle for up to 5 mins at a time
- Avoid full throttle acceleration from idle speed
- Do not operate at full throttle until the engine reaches normal operating temperature

AFTER THE BREAK-IN PERIOD
- Change the engine oil and filter

It’s important to remember to get the engine serviced one year from fitting or at 100 hours whichever comes first. I mucked up and thought it was one year from break-in and ended up nullifying the warranty - doh!!!

You’d think after 3 years I’d get fed up of looking at the engine - but no I can’t resist it :lol: :lol: . My excuse is I just need to let any residual fumes out of the engine.
Attachments
C465DF49-740D-434D-9F59-B090B8063546.jpeg
All fitted and ready to go
C465DF49-740D-434D-9F59-B090B8063546.jpeg (760.38 KiB) Viewed 11011 times
97FF398B-07E5-450B-A293-532BFF8E1EA5.jpeg
Still can resist show everyone the engine when they look at the boat - love of my life, just don’t let the other half know
97FF398B-07E5-450B-A293-532BFF8E1EA5.jpeg (738.64 KiB) Viewed 11011 times
wrinklywideboy
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 03 Jul 2017, 16:03

by shibbs » 30 Jun 2020, 21:49

That’s brilliant info, thanks very much!!

by shibbs » 11 Jul 2020, 21:53

6 hours in so far. Great first proper run out today, fantastic weather and good sea state.
Had a nice long steady run down river to check things over followed by a nice run to Langstone and back. A few frustrating teething issues but nothing i can't sort out so nothing to worry too much about.

by Ianfs » 12 Jul 2020, 17:41

Might seem a daft question but how did it feel, was it so much better or much the same?

by shibbs » 14 Jul 2020, 06:52

Much smoother, Tick over is very quiet and even, revs nicely and definitely feels like it’s got a lot more power. Time will tell with speed and where it will rev to. I’m just taking it nice and easy at the moment.
Had some really good runs out so far, almost at the 10 hour point so getting there.

by ian h » 17 Jul 2020, 17:46

Going out tomorrow , If you around be good to meet up
ian h

Next