  • In total there are 114 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 113 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 113 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Dash Gauge fixing

by argonaut » 04 Nov 2019, 18:44

I have bought a new 5" round Gauge for my boat ....

It has 2 threaded upstands at back to go through a mounting bracket ..... The issue is it does not come with a mounting bracket, and the manufacturer of said gauge does not supply them.

Does anybody know a supplier? ... or even the proper name for these.

Have seen 2 types .... the neat type as on Fariah Gauges ... which is a round nylon basket affair that gives 360 degrees clamping of the gauge/dial onto the dash.

something like 2 pics attached

Plastic basket.jpg
Plastic basket.jpg (90.97 KiB) Viewed 19106 times

Or the cheaper type I saw on old Smiths gauges for cars ... basically a C shaped bracket of flat bet metal .... only clamps at 2 points.

C bracket.jpg
C bracket.jpg (19.55 KiB) Viewed 19106 times
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by shibbs » 04 Nov 2019, 20:54

I can’t help with a supplier but if it was me.. I would be using a piece of aluminium of sufficient thickness and making one myself. It’ll be out of sight so only needs to be functional and not pretty..? Literally a 10 minute job.

by argonaut » 05 Nov 2019, 09:55

It's just the Alluminium 'C' brackets don't hold gauge as well as the 'basket type that presses down on full 360 ... and this is a big gauge.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by ian h » 05 Nov 2019, 21:06

Looking on other other boat forums the best idea is to email Faria direct - not sure who makes your dial

Just re-read post and looks like you already tried that route

Sales: Sales@FariaBeede.com
Orders: Orders@FariaBeede.com
Technical Support: techsupport@FariaBeede.com
ian h

by argonaut » 06 Nov 2019, 22:10

Yep no luck
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 07 Nov 2019, 11:55

Depending upon how much room you have around the gauge on the inside of the dash, what about good old fashioned 5mm plywood cut in a circle approx. 6" dia with a 5" hole cut into it. Fit two small angled brackets to the ply circle to take a [ shape bracket to fit the gauge?

by argonaut » 07 Nov 2019, 15:55

agree I could resort to woodwork ... just seems a Faff when there should be a simple bracket ..... bit annoying manufacturer just says go find own bracket
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by shibbs » 07 Nov 2019, 20:14

I completely get what you mean about the C brackets now by the size of the gauge.
Ian’s suggestion would be the route I would go down I think, but then as he’s already highlighted it depends on how much space you have to play with.
But, as you have said, you’d think that a professional ready made mount would be available from the manufacturer, odd that it’s not.
Good luck with whatever solution you choose though.

by argonaut » 21 Jan 2020, 23:15

Update ...
Gauge looked to big and changed to 3.5” version .... that came with fixing bracket/cage.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by shibbs » 21 Jan 2020, 23:56