  • In total there are 48 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 48 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Beware the unskilled boater – he may be coming your way

by argonaut » 07 Aug 2019, 17:03

Read yesterday in local paper of “David” and his girlfriend, who having got fed up of high flat prices bought a yacht to live in.
David a landscape gardener from Swindon bought the 10m yacht “Sudana” off eBay.
He sees it as the answer to world housing shortage, taking to boats – and living on the water he is going to do it indefinitely.
He does miss only having a bath every 3 months and no hot water.
But boating community is fun everyone is happy and they all drink rum !

With the intent of sailing it from Swansea to Bristol (via Cardiff) for his first work location.….. looked at some videos on Youtube on how to sail and set off from Swansea Marina, despite the warning from the Coastguard he got 200m outside the harbour and ran aground on a mud bank ….. stuck fast until next High Tide.

Slightly worrying that you can buy a boat on ebay, and set off after only YouTube instruction …….. no need for any training, safety equipment or insurance.

If you see a yacht coming your way emblazoned with “SUDANA” on a blue canvas …. Would suggest you give it a wide berth.

PhotoScan.jpg
PhotoScan.jpg (754.78 KiB) Viewed 5787 times
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 09 Aug 2019, 07:42

Yes, we seem to be the only first world country which doesn't insist upon, at least, an ICC before you can jump in a boat.

by argonaut » 09 Aug 2019, 09:20

What concerns me is insurance ...... you can go buy a powerboat with 200+ hp and weighing 2 Tonne or more, and an hr later be in the water with no training and no insurance.
If 2 tonne of muppet hit me .... and no insurance, I'd be a bit peeved.

In my part of the world been a few deaths from Jetskis hammering around like lunatics in bathing water depths.

Local council put in place the requirement to register all boats that use public launch slipway ... pay a small fee and show insurance - you get a sticker, but its a one-off .... so my sticker for current boat 5 yr od .... no annual check for insurance, no check at all on training.

Jet Skis just launch at the other end of bay and avoid any registration.