  • In total there are 23 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 23 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Knot/launch advice

by Leighfro » 04 Aug 2019, 11:09

Hi, not sure if I have come to the right place for advice on my issue, I am still pretty new to this so bare with me.

I am having troubles launching my boat off the trailer, the issues is that we are unable to drive the car any further back onto the slipway as the water floods the car. So the issue is that the boat isn't going in far enough to float off the trailer. I have seen previously that people have tied a rope to the trailer and to the tow bar and used a knot that acts like a pulley, where you can unhich the trailer feed the trailer further down the slipway.

I was after some advice as to what type of knot woh ld be suitable for this?

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks
Leighfro
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 04 Aug 2019, 10:59

by argonaut » 04 Aug 2019, 20:37

If I come back and main slip is dry ... I need to use rope recovery on longer shallow slip.
I use my anchor rope ...
I have a short loop of rope I spliced in an eye splice at each end .. and have protective sleeve on it.

Loop it round the trailer winch post (at base,) 2 eye splices join together with a shackle ... and attach to anchor rope.

If you can’t be bothered to learn to splice (very therapeutic) .. just put figure of 8 knots either end of a short length of rope.

At other end of anchor rope I quickly knot in a Bowline ..and hook that over my tow hitch.

If you are unsure about knots .... learn 2 .... honestly the most useful 2 are. Clove hitch and bowline ...get an off cut of rope and practise at home.
Both shown here ... https://youtu.be/3X8drKsdf5E
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 07 Aug 2019, 09:41

I have seen previously that people have tied a rope to the trailer and to the tow bar and used a knot that acts like a pulley, where you can unhich the trailer feed the trailer further down the slipway.

Hi Leigh

I'm guessing you have a bunk trailer and therefore have to completely submerge the trailer to float the boat off. The pulley knot you've mentioned sounds like a simple truckers knot, which is basically a loop in a rope and the loose end around the tow hitch and through the loop in order to aid the moment of inertia.

I'm more simplistic with my approach though and have merely driven the trailer onto the ramp enough that it will roll backwards if disconnected. Chock the wheels or apply the brake, disconnect it, drive the car further up the ramp and attach a rope to the hitch and tow ball via bowlines either end. Then merely use the brakes to allow the car and trailer to roll backwards into the water. Recovery is the reverse.

Bowline knots are probably the most used knots because they can be broken when not under pressure but will take enormous weight almost to the breaking strain of a rope. Jobs they are not suited for are, for example anchors where its possible that the knot can come loose when not under pressure, under pressure it will never come loose.

There are loads of vids and websites describing how to tie them, but even after 50 yrs using them, trust me sometimes I have complete brain fade and have to think about it .

This is one of the best examples...………..

https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/bowline