• Boat Banter

It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 03:32
  • In total there are 58 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 58 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Vovlo Aquamatic

by argonaut » 15 Jul 2019, 11:26

I'm starting to look seriously at changing my boat .... love ARGO 2 but can't get replacement from Monterey, ..... only options are the M22 or 218SS both have a very significant extra weight penalty of around 300Kg

So having decided on an alternative manufacturer ... looking at power plants.

Only had Mercruiser I/O previously, and if I did go that route it would be the V6 250hp + Bravo III
Looking into options .... Volvo Aquamatic seems to have good benefits, sealed freshwater cooling, a lot of history with salt water protection of its drives (Bravo III had hundred of claims for corrosion failures in early life, allegedly now fixed.)
Variable valve timing, Aluminium engine ... quoted as much lighter - but my search shows drive & engine packages both come in almost identical weight.

I could get the Volvo 240 DP or for not too much extra the 280 DP (same V6) which is definitely getting V8 power from a V6

Anybody experience of Volvo ? (or of the Merc 250), I'm not interested in Top end ... all about holeshot and mid range speed, and holding plane at low speed (benefit of DP drive)
One nice clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-0UDMmb2PI
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 17 Jul 2019, 14:57

Colin R had a Volvo engine in his Monterey 214 Cuddy. It was a 4.3 petrol 200 I think and I have to say it was very quiet and economical and he didn't get that clunk when putting her into gear that you get with most Mercruiser Stern Drives, although I think Bravo's have overcome it with a different clutch system rather then the earlier dog clutch.

by argonaut » 17 Jul 2019, 15:46

Yep Mercruiser have finally accepted people want smooth shifting and dropped the dog clutch on the Bravo III
Last edited by argonaut on 03 Aug 2019, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by shibbs » 17 Jul 2019, 20:10

I have to say, I really can’t comment on the newer stuff but my experience is that Volvo stern gear is far superior to mercruiser. Obviously just my opinion, I have an Alpha one at the moment and would switch back to Volvo straight away on my next boat. I worry that my stern drive will have corroded away each time I go to the boat. Saying that, there are such a huge number of them out there, surely that means hey can’t be bad!
And as for the clunk, I hate it every time I go into gear!

by shibbs » 17 Jul 2019, 20:12

Another point though, and again, can’t comment on newer stuff but the alpha one is so much easier to work on than a Volvo 280!

by argonaut » 29 Jul 2019, 21:41

Decision made it will be Volvo ... with Duoprop
Now trying to decide on whether to get 240 or 280
Same V6 ...same weight
You would think it easy choice go for larger HP .... but looking at performance there is no difference in power up to 4600rpm , and torque is almost identical .... difference only comes in 4600 to 5800 which is not the Rev band I normally operate in.

Thinking new boat would be same weight, length. & beam, Getting extra 40hp and duoprop in itself will be a big boost ... going 280 may not be worth extra cost.

Anybody any comments ?
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by shibbs » 30 Jul 2019, 05:08

I think you’ve answered it. Same performance up to a certain range and you don’t run over that range.
I wouldn’t want to pay the extra for what I wouldn’t be using or more importantly, be needing..
I suppose the question really comes down to what is the price difference?

by argonaut » 30 Jul 2019, 09:17

The delta is as follows

using 240 as base ..
The Mercruiser 4.5L 250 is +£1000 (over 240)
The 280 is +£ 1875 (over 240)

Wierd as Mercruiser cheaper than Volvo - but been triple checked with dealer
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by ian h » 30 Jul 2019, 20:15

How long would you plan to keep the boat for ?
Which engine package is better for holding its value = easier to resell ?
Maybe the bigger engine package resells better ?
ian h

by argonaut » 30 Jul 2019, 21:09

Answer to both is I don’t know.
For same reason it would be nice to have LPG conversion - but payback is around 5 years .... will I keep it longer ?
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

Next