• Boat Banter

It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:42
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 68 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 67 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 67 guests

Motor Boat Forum

New cover

by betty boop » 05 Jun 2019, 13:45

Whilst waiting for a new job offer and fitting bathrooms for a living I decided to finish making a trailer cover- no mean feet for a 22 footer with rails that shape- a few things got in the way , mainly the Bimini cover so it had to go and given the helm is walk around tailoring is a nightmare- so much in fact google has very limited pictures worldwide to use as example in most cases the fish area is left open even on moorings. Getting to launch with a wet living area really made it a necessity. Materials saulida pa costed waterproof etc not easy to handle as it’s very ridged but with a 99 year old singer industrial machine it was a breeze. I’m now expert at picking holes in cheap after market covers where they charge a fortune for a rubbish job. £280 of material- £40 probably of extras and enough material to remake the Bimini and its boot as well as part 3 not bad from a £2000+ quote still a few mods to do after a 600 mile trip to Torquay n back but now work is in the way -

IMG_3589.jpg
IMG_3589.jpg (370.34 KiB) Viewed 15170 times
ImageImage
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by shibbs » 05 Jun 2019, 13:59

Nice work!

A nice saving too. 8-)
Stu

Princess 286 Riviera
Twin Volvo Penta AD41’s
shibbs
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by lewlew100 » 05 Jun 2019, 16:33

That cover looks good Ian, especially as there are so many different contours. My boat is about ready for the cover now ( a bigger cover , but not so complex as yours although I have bow decided that I will definitely have a partition with a zipped opening between the back of the wheelhouse/saloon?) as well as a toneau behind that. I routed the opposite hand deck sheet today, but will not bother to post a photo as it is basically the same as the one on my last post. I hope to hear from you soon. Geoff.
lewlew100
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

by Ianfs » 05 Jun 2019, 19:50

A...maz...ing Ian.

How many hours? And do you think you may need a centre pole in the middle of the cockpit to fend off very heavy rain to stop it puddling?
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by Bigplumbs » 06 Jun 2019, 16:25

Lovely Job and having seen it in action I was very impressed... Even when it was put up seeing thick black clouds but not a spot of rain

Dennis
Bigplumbs
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by Bigplumbs » 06 Jun 2019, 16:52

Ian

You have inspired me to make a cover for Add2Cart

I am now on ebay looking at Old Singers. I assume your was electric what model was it as there seem to be rather a lot

Dennis
Bigplumbs
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by trailertrouble » 01 Jul 2019, 19:26

That does look really good.

And yeah better than what is offered at like 10 times the cost. Did it take long to master the old singer? A few practice runs on scrap / off cuts?

Did you have an previous cover to use as a template or measure up from scratch?
trailertrouble
Able Rate
Able Rate

by betty boop » 05 Jul 2019, 12:22

sorry for the late replies, cover is doing really well. been on and off a few times in anger and works well, a few improvements may be but mostly good,
it does need a centre pole which I have but it falls off in transit so not sure what to use for that. at home I have a worksite floodlight tripod with a lump of foam taped to it - it works and keeps the inside 100% dry all over which is great - black on the other hand means or have minutes to climb underneath to retrieve something before dying of heat exhaustion - on a mild day.

singer was easy to get to grips with simple old school engineer in practice, at 99 years old she is still going strong to start the bimini replacement this weekend. practice is the key here, by the 3rd cover you've got the sense of how the material will lay/stretch etc. trouble is who has 3 boats to cover........................except you 2 :lol: :lol: :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by lewlew100 » 05 Jul 2019, 16:09

That is a bit below the belt for two of us Ian, but I still think that you have done an excellent job on your canopy. As you were unable to fit making the canopy for my fastfisher I have bitten the bullit and put the boat in to have a SUPER (I hope) cover made and when I get the boat back will post some pictures. Geoff.
lewlew100
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Return to Motor Boat Forum

User Menu