  • In total there are 8 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Access ladder ?

by argonaut » 02 Jun 2019, 14:24

May boat has a nice telescopic boarding ladder built into the Swim Platform ...... makes getting back in boat in deep water easy.

However I would like to come up with a solution for bow entry .....
When boat is launched we only have access to bow (launch position on slip as it comes off trailer) .... no tie up pontoon or similar.
It can be difficult for kids and adults to get into boat, as you have to be capable of jumping up enough to lay on Gunwhale, and then scramble into boat.
(people not always there before we launch so can't get in while on trailer)

Started to look at some form of temporary access ... thought I had solution when I bought one of these ....

https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-hangin ... qr=ladder&

There are 2 issues the mount point (forward cleat is not ideal position) too far forward means you are trying to climb up at sharpest point on the bow ..... and the main issue, as soon as you put your foot on rung, the ladder swings in towards the keel ... making climbing up it too difficult.

Anybody thought about this and come up with a solution.

My only thoughts have been ... a rigid ladder with outset that I could hangover the bow ... but don't really have anywhere to stow that easily
One of these things:
https://www.force4.co.uk/aluminium-ladder.html

Or even a 'caravan step'
https://tinyurl.com/yxeabw8u

again storage could be an issue.

I did think about the simple plastic caravan steps :
https://tinyurl.com/yyympw9f

Issue with that would be it would probably float - OK I could weight it ...... but boat could be moving around and that may then not be in best position for boarding.

Anybody any thoughts >
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 03 Jun 2019, 14:10

This rings a bell, I think someone on here built a bow access ladder but can't remember who. I'll see if I can find something.

by argonaut » 03 Jun 2019, 14:58

Monterey (and some others) now include a bow ladder as an option.
Unfortunately mine doesn't.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 03 Jun 2019, 19:20

Is it an afterfit option?

by shibbs » 04 Jun 2019, 07:58

Ianfs wrote:This rings a bell, I think someone on here built a bow access ladder but can't remember who. I'll see if I can find something.

I too vaguely remember this being discussed before but also can’t remember when.... :?

by Ianfs » 04 Jun 2019, 11:19

Couldn't find the article, sorry.

However what about some of these for idea's, knowing you Argonaut, I expect you could fabricate something substantial yourself. :)

https://www.plastimo.com/en/echelle-d-etrave.html

Some idea's here from a US site...

https://www.boatingbuddy.com/

More idea's...

https://www.boatingbuddy.com/

Or even this attached to the bow will fold nicely. It looks like when the ladder is deployed it jams against the hinges in order not to swing under when weight is applied.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Telescoping-Folding-Marine-Ladder/dp/B06XHKPG4F?ref_=Oct_MWishedForC_548006031_3&pf_rd_r=164SJ2ZJ3J686XFD2N49&pf_rd_p=61d32996-94c3-563c-a7f8-ae40b8814dfd&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=548006031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

by argonaut » 09 Jun 2019, 20:02

The following style ....

http://boatingbuddy.com/img2/hook-ladder-DMT5.jpg
Might have to be the consideration. .... now if it folded, to half size, could be stored in compartment to side of engine.

Or maybe ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oceansouth-Lig ... XX0PMWJX1S

The issue is the stand offs will not suit ... would have to makes my own.

Maybe ... I just need to make one myself.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 13 Jun 2019, 16:22

knowing you Argonaut, I expect you could fabricate something substantial yourself.

Let us know when you make it. :)

by ColinR » 17 Sep 2019, 11:23

The bow ladder was built by Dominic (dbp101) for his Bayliner. Was a super job as I recall and very useful as he used to moor bows onto thebeach on an anchor buddy system.
User avatar
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap