  • In total there are 69 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 69 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 69 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Teak decking from EBay

by wrinklywideboy » 05 May 2019, 17:46

Yes I know we would all like the real thing when it comes to teak decking , but Teak-Tek cheaper alternative, but wow still very expensive ! I wanted to put teak on my swim platform, so decided to start at the other end of the spectrum, Eva foam teak decking on eBay. I ordered a roll in January 2400 x 900, I paid about £60 it arrived no problem. I put It on last week. After removing the swim ladder ( which was quite a palaver) I made a template out of cardboard and cut it to size ( 2 pieces )it is self adhesive with backing paper. It went down a treat and after sealing the edges with mastic, I think it looks brilliant. Its about 6mm thick and comfortable to walk and kneel on and of course non slip ( even the swim platform had a non slip surface, but still very slippery when wet ) time will tell how long it will stay looking good and how long it will stay stuck! I went on eBay the other day to see about ordering another roll for elsewhere on the boat, and now it’s about £35 a roll. A real bargain!
Photo attached
0AC70CD5-AEB0-40BC-826F-6173C0F3742A.jpeg
“Teak decking” on Mano Marine 22.52 swim platform
0AC70CD5-AEB0-40BC-826F-6173C0F3742A.jpeg (113.24 KiB) Viewed 16111 times
wrinklywideboy
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 03 Jul 2017, 16:03

by Ianfs » 06 May 2019, 07:23

You've made a great job of that, looks amazing.

by lewlew100 » 06 May 2019, 11:09

That looks very good. I might try that for the boat that I am building. On some of the 'bay pics they show an edging. Do you know if that is ordered in like that or is it a separate strip cut from the main sheet? Thanks for posting. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by ChrisH » 06 May 2019, 18:30

Looks great. There is a company around Southampton called Wasserdek. They laser cut a similar spongey deck material. Can do some cool designs and logos.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by lewlew100 » 06 May 2019, 19:14

Thanks ChrisH, I will check that out, although with blank material I could probably CNC rout it myself. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by wrinklywideboy » 06 May 2019, 20:53

Hi Geoff

We didn’t look to see if there was an edging strip, so I’m afraid we can’t help you on that front. We did consider cutting one ourselves and using a mitre finish on the corners. It would probably be very easy as the foam cuts with just a sharp Stanley knife.

Our thinking was that more edges may present more opportunities for water ingress, so we decided to go for the simplest finish possible.

Sorry can’t be more use than that.

Are you posting progress pics on your boat building endeavour?

Cheers Stuart
wrinklywideboy
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 03 Jul 2017, 16:03

by shibbs » 07 May 2019, 11:02

Looks good! Gives a really good looking finish.

by lewlew100 » 07 May 2019, 11:15

Thanks wrinkleywideboy, Some pics of my boat build on my "too many projects posts. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by betty boop » 10 May 2019, 07:17

lewlew100 wrote:Thanks wrinkleywideboy, Some pics of my boat build on my "too many projects posts. Geoff.

Hi Geoff

I have lots of info on the edging for this stuff - I'll try to remember to to you a call and we'll have a chat.

Pic looks nice though - Good Job Wrinkley.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by lewlew100 » 10 May 2019, 18:09

Thanks Ian, I may give you a buzz. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

Next