  • In total there are 76 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 76 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 76 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Bureaucracy at it again!

by Ianfs » 04 Mar 2019, 15:37

Does anyone remember the proposal to make Studland Bay a Marine Conservation Zone? Which would have meant no anchoring. It was blocked in the end due to protests from motor boaters and sailors because of its historically safe anchoring. The area has a particular sea grass that is home to many species including our Sea Horses. It was thought that the number of boats anchoring there during the Summer was causing problems with the sea life but I couldn't find evidence to support it. The aim instead was to provide mooring buoys but I haven't seen that happen. The sheer fact that Marine Conservationists were hell bent on stopping boats mooring there because of damage to the sea bed and stopping a) a safe anchorage and b) enjoyment of the bay says to me that they want the area looked after and that it should be taken care of.

https://mcsuk.org/mpa/show-1477636

So when I saw a drilling rig being towed into the bay at the end of January I naturally thought it must be being taken elsewhere. However it stayed and they are drilling for oil! In an area which was supposed to be full of sea life and pleasure boaters were spoiling it!

All I can think about is that money talks and although we won the argument for our anchoring at Studland the fact is they consider the area a Conservation Zone. So bringing in a blooming great oil rig which potentially could spill chemicals into the sea killing all life around it is nothing more than farcical. Sorry everyone, rant over.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-47290198

by sprocker » 05 Mar 2019, 07:48

I guess the oil industry has more money than leisure boaters.......

I agree totally with you Ian, even though I'm not a Solent boater, we have similar issues in Devon. The whole thing makes my blood boil.
User avatar
sprocker

Location: Plymouth, Devon

by betty boop » 05 Mar 2019, 19:35

great Ian - B'rds thats typical

I could have murdered them in the summer, we moored on anchor just behind the oil field in Studland, I knew it was there but not how big it was, So imagine a lovely sunny bank hol, the sunsetting across the harbour, as soon as it set BOOM- what I can only describe as a 200watts of ear deafening rap/rave music (I wouldnt actually call it actual music. though) ALL BLO'DY night long until 2AM. Some idiot in the plant putting his Ipod though the tannoy system -we couldnt sleep with the boom boom boom. oh and the hammering as they changed drill heads etc. Quite surprising as the NT throw you off studland bay for having a BBQ or making noise on the beach after dark. HYPOCRITES is all I can say. I bet they pay a fortune to the NT for drilling rights and in donations etc. so its no wonder they do what they want. I was going to raise a complaint but as usual by the time we left it was a ruined night and we moved on. such a lovely spot ruined.

fun police and big money - we've got no chance.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 06 Mar 2019, 14:12

Agree with you both and we know there has been an oil produced at Wytch Farm, Poole since 1979 but it is far enough away from anywhere that it doesn't cause any problems, but this situation is a scandal.

But it gets worse!!! :shock:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/14/oil-firm-bids-to-extend-drilling-off-dorset-coast-despite-risk-to-marine-life-corallian-energy

It's a long article so in a nutshell, the oil company has by passed any laws and environmental issues.
An extract.....
"Corallian Energy has set up a rig visible from the protected coastline and in close proximity to 58 marine and coastal protected areas. Sensitive and protected species offshore include bottlenose dolphins, seahorses, rays and breeding populations of seabirds including sandwich terns and little terns.
Neil Garrick-Maidment, of the Seahorse Trust, said the waters were home to the UK’s two seahorses, the short-snouted and the spiny, and permission should never have been given for the drilling. The seahorses are protected under schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act, one of the strongest wildlife protections under law."

by betty boop » 07 Mar 2019, 19:37

whilst I totally agree Ian is it a bit of a 'not in my back yard' ? I bet the guardian readers would be OK with it if the oil price in the newly formed Republic of Dorset fell to £2 a barrel and everyone got rich from it, - seahorses? what sea horses. :lol: :lol: I dont see how they got by the laws though? powerful friends may be - which reminds me an acquaintance that was telling me how he was investing heavily in a new Fracking set up - as he was doing his Christmas card list to offices of XX in the House of Commons. Hmmm no conflicts there then either :lol: :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero