• Boat Banter

It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:09
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Pilotage help...

by Ianfs » 14 Feb 2019, 14:24

Hello whiskeymac (what a great screen name) and welcome to our forum.

Those Beneteau Swift Trawlers are possibly one of the best boats to come out of the French manufacturer. I'm guessing from your fuel figures she has the standard Cummins 425hp 6cyl diesel.

I am a newbie here and in fact new to motor boating - but that is another story!...

From this intro line and the language you've used I kind of guessed you had a little more than some experience and a 1200 mile sail is not to be sneezed at. :) Trouble is, when we were younger we were a bit more daring and hadn't experienced as much danger, at our ages though we don't move as quick and we worry much more about anything. :lol: Not a bad thing though.

At about 7knts the Swift will be quite economical burning about 1 litre per mile so once in home waters you could take it easy. However the most obvious route from Greystones is a run down the East coast to Rosslare, then across to Milford Haven. It's about 114nm all in and at 15knts is about 7.5hrs. On the 4th March HW Dover is at 0826 so leaving at HW -1 will give you a bit of tide so SOG might be 16-17knts and then the stream crosses to Milford Haven to give you a good run in possibly with a bit of running against the ebb but not much.

From Milford Haven I would go to Padstow, its a great little Village and although the inner harbour gets a bit crowded in the Summer, they may have a berth for you. If not the outer harbour is a safe haven. It's only about 70nm so you could do a more sedate 12knts so 5.5hrs ish and be sparing on the diesel.

Padstow.jpg
Padstow.jpg (208.65 KiB) Viewed 11810 times

Padstow 1.jpg
Padstow 1.jpg (219.39 KiB) Viewed 11810 times

I would then do Padstow to Falmouth another 86nm rounding Lands End at a safe time.

I suspect you have a Reeds Almanac, but if not, get one. Its' got all the information about harbours for this passage and tidal streams based on HW Dover times and a very good write up about rounding Lands End. The Channel Pilot does cover Lands End and shows a TSS to the west, it is easily covered by a Racon buoy so no worries there. If you want more information just ask and I'll look up some more.

I would say the main difference between Yachts and Motor Boats is with a Motor boat you don't so much have to rely on Gravy Trains (Tidal Streams) since most of the tides in the UK even at springs don't run much over 5knts and are usually around 2-3knts. However wind against tide is a different matter. I crewed in my friends Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 to Alderney last year in a F6-7 wind against tide some of the way and although it was a tad uncomfortable at times, especially making tea in the galley :mrgreen: it wasn't as bad as if we had been pushing along in a Motor Boat, wind against tide. So even though you are semi displacement and a superb hull shape bashing into a wind against tide sea would be a tad uncomfortable.

Hope this helps a little. :)
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by whiskeymac » 14 Feb 2019, 15:35

Hi Ianfs

All very sensible and measured - very grateful for your insights.

I agree about wind over tide -I could easily cope in my old boat - but this hull shape will be a learning curve indeed.

The ST34 I have bought has the Cummins QSB6.7 which I am told is quieter and more economical than its predecessor. So the fuel table I have assembled from a variety of sources will be updated and improved upon over time - I hope.

I sold all my charts & books with my yacht in 2017.

So I am busy online, re-assembling the library ...it is not cheap!!

Admiralty Charts:
North West Wales including Menai Strait:SC5609 44.30
Bristol Channel:SC5608 44.30
Falmouth to Hartland Point: SC5603 44.30
Falmouth to Teignmouth: SC5602 44.30
Exmouth to Christchurch: SC5601 44.30
Solent & Approaches: SC5600 44.30
Chichester to Ramsgate: SC5605 44.30

Books:
Navigation West Country Cruising Companion 22.99
Navigation Shell Channel Pilot 26.55
Navigation Irish Sea Pilot 32.50
Navigation Reeds Channel Almanac 2019 31.50
Navigation Tidal Stream Atlas 11.03

Oh well .... these are not things you would regret - if/when you really need them... :)

Still aiming for end of March...

:shock:
whiskeymac
Able Rate
Able Rate

by whiskeymac » 14 Feb 2019, 15:43

Has anyone got a view on using Imray charts instead of Admiralty... I have always bought Admiralty before ...

but for the journey I am planning the equivalent Imray charts are about £100 cheaper...

IMRAY Charts:
Liverpool to Milford Haven and the East Coast of Ireland:2700 45.00
West Country Chart Pack:2400 39.50
Dorset & Devon Coasts:2300 39.50
Solent:2200 45.00
Kent & Sussex Coasts:2100 45.00

Any views ?... :|

All the best
whiskeymac
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 14 Feb 2019, 17:41

I shouldn't be suggesting this and absolutely should be advocating using raster charts along with electronic charts, but unless you plan on using them again in the near future they might be a waste of money. Although they can be updated, which as you know most of the time its because a buoy has been renamed, recalculating Variation after 3yrs becomes a real bore.

Imray charts are just as good as Admiralty charts for the leisure boater in my opinion and are more practical since Admiralty charts seem to think land is yellow and drying parts are green.

The Shell Channel Pilot book at £26.55 seems a bit cheap, check it is the latest version 8 and not an earlier one. I tend to buy mine from Tom Cunliffe as he always has the latest ones...….

https://www.tomcunliffe.com/

So since you may only be on the West Coast for a few hours the Reeds Almanac, The Shell Channel Pilot and your Electronic Nav should do the trick. Definitely get the South Coast charts and the Solent and Approaches, Imray do a pack for East and West Solent, well worth it, especially noting the Shingle and Bramble Banks and some of the shallower parts.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by whiskeymac » 14 Feb 2019, 18:46

whiskeymac
Able Rate
Able Rate

by whiskeymac » 14 Feb 2019, 18:47

Hi Ianfs

Thanks for tip off re latest Channel Pilot v8...

The link I was using is here

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/184623700 ... gshopuk-21

It does say 8th edition/......

Hate to do old Tom out of penny or two....

;)
whiskeymac
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 17 Feb 2019, 16:50

He probably doesn't realise they are being sold for 33% less and its certainly not to be sneezed at.

Have you ordered the charts yet?

Quite an exciting trip this.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by whiskeymac » 18 Feb 2019, 16:43

Hi IanFS

Im in Greystones at the moment - getting the boat ready. Will be flying home then returning on March 22nd for the hoped for delivery trip....

I will probably order the Imray set of charts when I get back to the UK... everything is pricey here - and the chandleries make your eyes water..

:-)
whiskeymac
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 21 Feb 2019, 09:51

chandleries make your eyes water.

It's that sign on your forehead…."I own a boat, charge me double" :roll: :lol:
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to Motor Boat Forum