  • In total there are 68 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 67 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 67 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Pilotage help...

by whiskeymac » 08 Feb 2019, 18:15

Hello everyone... I am a newbie here and in fact new to motor boating - but that is another story!...

I am taking delivery of a new (to me) boat in March - a Swift Trawler 34.
I have to bring it from Greystones Marina, Co Wicklow, to Brighton, E Sussex

I am happy to motor at night - slowly - I have full radar and chart plotter/AIS and I am familiar with using them :-)

However, I anticipate doing roughly 100 nm per day - I am not in a hurry; I would like to motor in daylight if possible - for the sake of my crew - and my learning curve!

At full throttle I should be able to do about 20kts and have a range of 166nm (with a 20% reserve.)
I hope to do about 15kts and get better fuel consumption than that, taking the range to around 200nm (with a 20% reserve)

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on where there are convenient ports along the coast from N Wales to N Devon, and as far as Falmouth. After that I am pretty familiar with ports of call.

all the best
whiskeymac
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 08 Feb 2019, 15:50

by shibbs » 09 Feb 2019, 09:24

Hi there,
That’s a hell of a journey, can I assume you are doing it rather than getting the boat road moved because you want to do the journey?
I think if I had the time I would too, he’ll of a long way though.. :D
Unfortunately I have no knowledge of the Welsh coast or northern Devon at all. Bruce may be along soon though as I believe he will be able to offer some valuable guidance..
I could assist with the south coast but sounds like you have that sorted!
Good luck and I hope it all goes well.

by betty boop » 09 Feb 2019, 11:03

cant help with the route advise but it does sound exciting if you think the vessel and master are up to the journey, I will volunteer as crew though if you are short handed ? :D
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by whiskeymac » 09 Feb 2019, 18:57

Hi Stu and BB

Thanks for encouragement... I need it.

In terms of crew - I have considered this seriously, since it would be my first motor boat trip as skipper..!

However, I have had many years sailing - inc 1200nm solo to Portugal - so I am telling my 66yr old and cranky self to "get a grip" and "stop being a whimp"....

If I can get a reasonable idea of a route - with convenient re-fuelling stops I should be ok...ahem...

Whats new to me is the idea of worrying about diesel... I only filled my sail boat up once a year... :-)
whiskeymac
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 08 Feb 2019, 15:50

by argonaut » 09 Feb 2019, 21:49

N.Wales ... Pwlheli would easily take your boat ... good access
S.Wales ... Swansea has full Port capability .... take any size boat, you can find all the marina details on the web page.

Both options also have fuel pontoons, check though they have what you need, Swansea for example only has Diesel pumps.

Milford Haven also has deep water berths, but no personal experience ,,, but all 3 locations have detailed marina websites.

Going across channel from Swansea to Ilfracombe is a good crossing, and another stopping point to consider ... then you can follow coast South ... can’t advise on Devon/Cornwall sorry.
Last edited by argonaut on 10 Feb 2019, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by betty boop » 10 Feb 2019, 13:23

Devon and cornwall would be pretty much as looking at google, theres not a lot between local harbour but whats the range from port to port? Im just thinking out load on the bit across north Cornwall to Padstow, assuming you go straight across once your out of milford haven theres not a lot to escape to if things go a bit pear shaped. Lots of spares lots of fuel/jerry cans etc. Definitely a life raft. With a bit of planning I dont see why you cant do it and good luck to you sir. I wish I was as brave :mrgreen:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by argonaut » 10 Feb 2019, 13:53

Hence my thought come around S.Wales coat .. plenty of drop in points if needed ..... fill up at Swansea - then simple straight run to Ilfracombe (~30 miles), time tides right and easy run into harbour.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by whiskeymac » 11 Feb 2019, 16:40

Just thought I would look back at the weather in March 2018... :(

"March began with an exceptionally cold easterly airstream, which brought widespread snow with daytime temperatures staying below freezing in many parts of the country. It then turned milder and generally wet until mid-month, then on the 17th/18th another exceptionally cold easterly brought further snow, especially for the north-east and south-west. After a few generally dry fine days, the unsettled pattern returned for the rest of the month, with low pressure dominating."

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk ... 2018/march

..... I may be waiting... :roll:
whiskeymac
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 08 Feb 2019, 15:50

by ian h » 13 Feb 2019, 15:33

If you are not in a hurry to move then I would be looking for the right weather window so you can both get to know the boat but more importantly (in my mind ) enjoy the trip.
ian h

by whiskeymac » 13 Feb 2019, 23:07

Hi Ian

Unfortunately I am in a hurry to move - since I am outstaying my welcome at Greystones - plus I would really like to have the boat nearer to where I live!

When I said I am not in a hurry - I meant the journey.

So, I can wait for weather windows ... its not a commercial delivery trip :-)
whiskeymac
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 08 Feb 2019, 15:50