  • In total there are 66 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 65 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 65 guests

Motor Boat Forum

New Year - New Boat

by sprocker » 02 Jan 2019, 12:38

Following a rather hectic 2016/2017/2018, we decided to re-think our boating lifestyle. The larger boat was a fantastic experience, and we spent most weekends aboard over the past few of years, but there was something missing, the out and out 'fun' of running a sports boat!

The major problem for me was that I could not easily handle the larger boats by myself, which limited my cruising time, so towards the end of 2018 we decided to go back to basics and downsize.

Following a lot of research and sea trials, we decided to go back to a RIB. Following even more research and speaking to various manufacturers, we finally went with a local family run company (Ribeye), who impressed me with their approach-ability, willingness to please, and total confidence in their product.

We had three sea trials booked with three different RIB manufacturers on the same Saturday, in the same area, real 'back to back' trials. The weather was building during the week, and two of the manufacturers cried off on Friday as being 'too rough'. One even suggested that we would not get a decent trial of the boat if it wasn't flat calm......

Saturday saw 25mph winds gusting 37mph, and Ribeye calling to say we were good to go! The wind was howling, sea was big, the sea was the roughest I had been out on for a long time and I was out in a 6.5 metre boat. We had a lot of fun, we got soaked, but it was a real test of the boat which performed flawlessly. Needless to say an order was placed the following Monday.

I picked her up from the Dartmouth factory just before Christmas, and single handed her around to Torquay in more 25mph winds, getting soaked once again, but with a massive grin on my face and supreme confidence that the boat could handle the conditions.

I haven't had much time to take photo's but here are a few from the handover, and over the Christmas break.

Ribeye1.jpg
Ribeye1.jpg (160.1 KiB) Viewed 9883 times

Ribeye2.jpg
Ribeye2.jpg (179.22 KiB) Viewed 9883 times

Ribeye3.jpg
Ribeye3.jpg (226.3 KiB) Viewed 9883 times

Ribeye4.jpg
Ribeye4.jpg (135.06 KiB) Viewed 9883 times

Ribeye5.jpg
Ribeye5.jpg (167.52 KiB) Viewed 9883 times

Ribeye6.jpg
Ribeye6.jpg (221.22 KiB) Viewed 9883 times
User avatar
sprocker

Location: Plymouth, Devon

by lewlew100 » 02 Jan 2019, 15:56

Congratulations, that looks like a super fun boat and with 200hp to play with should be very exciting. Geoff. :mrgreen:
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by ChrisH » 02 Jan 2019, 19:05

Wow. Looks like loads of fun. Hope you get plenty of time and enjoyment from her.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by sprocker » 03 Jan 2019, 10:46

Thankyou gents, she is great so far, just running in the engine up to the 20 hour service (which is a little boring), but I expect to be able to really see what she can do
by Easter at the latest.
User avatar
sprocker

Location: Plymouth, Devon

by Bigplumbs » 08 Jan 2019, 08:59

Looks a lovely boat..... Someone spent some pennies :)
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by sprocker » 08 Jan 2019, 10:45

Bigplumbs wrote:Looks a lovely boat..... Someone spent some pennies :)

The first brand new boat I have ever had. It was a big decision, but a great feeling when I signed on the dotted line.

After recent friends and family illnesses, deaths etc I have decided that life is too short to waste it on 'what if'.
User avatar
sprocker

Location: Plymouth, Devon

by betty boop » 09 Jan 2019, 19:04

well done you deserve it and a good outlook on life - on life live it stop worrying about what you cant change etc.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero