• Boat Banter

It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:49
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 65 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 65 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 65 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Battery Isolator/ Selector

by wrinklywideboy » 31 Dec 2018, 11:19

Hello All,
I’m a new contributor to this forum. I have a Mano Marine moored in the Mar Menor, Spain. We use the the boat regularly not only for trips out ,but more for having a few beers with friends. When in the marina shore power is always connected ,although only powers the battery charger for the two batteries and the 12/24 v fridge.
I currently set my battery selector to all, so in my view both batteries are being charged, so is this right ? Because I don’t want to damage the batteries or worse still have warm beer !!!!!!
wrinklywideboy
Able Rate
Able Rate

by ChrisH » 01 Jan 2019, 01:18

wrinklywideboy wrote:Hello All,
I’m a new contributor to this forum. I have a Mano Marine moored in the Mar Menor, Spain. We use the the boat regularly not only for trips out ,but more for having a few beers with friends. When in the marina shore power is always connected ,although only powers the battery charger for the two batteries and the 12/24 v fridge.
I currently set my battery selector to all, so in my view both batteries are being charged, so is this right ? Because I don’t want to damage the batteries or worse still have warm beer !!!!!!
Good question. I have read a number of posts and I'm not sure if I should leave my batteries charging all the time or not.

When I last checked on my boat it looked like the battery charger was doing nothing. So I assume it is intelligent and stops charging when no charge is needed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by ian h » 01 Jan 2019, 10:56

I Leave my boat plugged into shore power all the time it is in the Rack.

This is for the Batteries all year but also for the Heaters over winter,

It really depends if you have an Intelligent Charger or not fitted to the boat though
ian h
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

by lewlew100 » 02 Jan 2019, 23:01

I have heard some horror stories about serious metal corrosion being caused by leaving a boat afloat and connected to shore power for longer periods of time, so it is important to ensure that sufficient and correct sacrificial anodes are fitted. Geoff.
lewlew100
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

by wrinklywideboy » 03 Jan 2019, 10:35

Thanks Chris,Ian,and Geoff.
Good point, Geoff, anodes in good condition. The boat is taken out and on the hard during July and August for a good clean and any maintenance which includes changing the anodes.
I must admit I don’t know if the battery charger is a smart type. The boat was commissioned in 2004, any ideas ?
Cheers Stuart
wrinklywideboy
Able Rate
Able Rate

Return to Motor Boat Forum

User Menu