  • In total there are 75 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 75 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 75 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Winter Boat Cover review

by Ianfs » 28 Nov 2018, 16:11

I seem to remember this subject has come up every so often so I thought I'd post my thoughts on the matter and talk about what I found.

Historically I've been using the properly fitted SeaRay Winter cover, which has been with the boat for years. Unfortunately it's old technology, but it's very breathable and can be watertight when treated. However its getting old now and has been patched in places so I've had a tarpaulin slung it over for the last two years whilst it's been outside (previously kept in a barn). The bespoke covers are very expensive but I suppose if I was to take into account how long this one has lasted not too bad and if you are considering keeping a boat for a few years probably worth the investment.
Tarps are great for airflow but look untidy and are a pain to tie down properly. They are also UV hungry and with the fine weather this summer it disintegrated over the bow section.

A new Tarp would cost about £50-70 depending who you buy it from and what weight the weave is, so I looked around at alternatives. I found a number of different shaped covers at Amazon, Ebay, Marinescene, Force Four etc all looking the same but with different prices and claiming to be extra tough, these ranged from about £30-50. I remembered someone on here bought a cheap cover and it fell apart quickly, so I read the reviews and sure enough loads said stay away.

I took a stroll around the boat park and several boats had covers which had been on for a few years and looked in good order, so I took a sneak peak and they were made by a company called Ducksback, I read the reviews and didn't find a bad one, so I bought one. I don't particularly like the bright Silver colour and they don't fit as well as a fitted cover but its fairly close. They looked as if they were made from very thick pvc or some sort of heavy plastic but when I opened the box it is like a tight weave and has a liner too. It comes with a bag and tie straps.

Cover unboxing.jpg
Cover unboxing.jpg (211 KiB) Viewed 9705 times

Tie Straps.jpg
Tie Straps.jpg (294.17 KiB) Viewed 9705 times

Cover close up.jpg
Cover close up.jpg (329.19 KiB) Viewed 9705 times

The tie straps don't get thrown over the boat and wrap around it, but instead the cover has 3 straps sewn into it which then attach to straps that go underneath the boat.

Straps close up.jpg
Straps close up.jpg (214.04 KiB) Viewed 9705 times

It has 3 attachments at the stern for tying down …

Stern View of Cover on.jpg
Stern View of Cover on.jpg (330.59 KiB) Viewed 9705 times

So here it is, not as neat as some but for the price not too bad.

Cover on boat.jpg
Cover on boat.jpg (375.9 KiB) Viewed 9705 times

And here is the old one...

SeaRay Canvas Winter Cover.jpg
SeaRay Canvas Winter Cover.jpg (379.3 KiB) Viewed 9705 times

We can only wait and see, if it rips apart in the first year, then it goes back.

by lewlew100 » 28 Nov 2018, 19:42

That cover looks like a really good fit - could be bespoke!!! Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by shibbs » 28 Nov 2018, 21:12

I think that looks great! Will certainly be interesting to see how long it lasts.
I know what you mean about old technology..
My cover does the trick water wise but it is so think it is ridiculously heavy because of it, and nowhere near as breathable as the newer ones.
But, that said, because of the cost of made to measure replacements I’ve stuck with it.
As soon as it strts to leak then I’ll have to bite the bullet and get something newer which will hopefully reduce the weight and more so, ease of fitting.

Looks good though Ian. :D

by Ianfs » 29 Nov 2018, 08:32

Thanks guys, we'll see what happens. It's so windy down here at the moment and wet. The sea was thundering last night.

by betty boop » 29 Nov 2018, 09:29

nice looking Ian - thats half the job done, I prefer a big black tarp for winter cut and tailored to fit better given the shape more than size of the boat as any cover would be destroyed in minutes with the exposed location and winds up here.

I think it was me with the opinions on the silver covers, they are good and worth the money, only the real cheap ebays ones seem to not last last a season. Your problem will be UV - nothing is UV proof its only the quality that will slow it down. There is a Bennett formula for cost / lifespan / reliability on this subject tested every year by those who count every penny ;) and you are pretty much on the mark with your purchase I'd say.

My investigations on tarps - they are all rubbish unless you buy from a UK dealer with a UK made product and pay the extra. Ive tried ebay/amazon etc. they are all chinese rubbish in disguise. Ive been to UK trade sellers not on ebay and they have packaged chinese rubbish on a shiney web site, you can put a goat in a tuxedo but its still a goat. :roll: I purchased 1 high grade no rip tarp - it lasted a week, with the refund I took a HEAVY duty one, its lasted 2 winters so far but now has UV holes appearing when I put it on a few weeks ago, so most likely its last year too. I kept the afore mention no rip tarp and tailored it fit Equinox - it is now DEAD and even the no rip weaving has gone bye bye. HOWEVER - that tarp would have cost me £55. yes I have a machine to tailer it/fit bungie cords etc. but at £50 I am quids in on saving by eking it out for 2.5 years summer use in the sun all day - no shade

The only tarp worth investment I found was UK made ones but they are costly for the risk, I seem to recall about £150 compared to £50 non UK ones. the seller in question will even shape it for you at a cost to fit a boat. Breathing isnt really an issue Im advised. I spoke to a major UK cover supplier of top quality fabric, his advice was the investment in breathable UV fabric was nonsense unless you make the boat completely air tight there will be airflow and not much benefit over the cost of UV proof to UV breathable.

this year I bought 25m of material for boat covers to make one from scratch, £100. although 1/2 away through the project Im not sure it was a good decision. the quality is reasonable but I dont think it will last 3 years for the amount of effort to tailor it to fit. - time will tell on that project - and what a ball ache trying to machine 3x 28 foot pieces of water proof fabric in your front room :lol: :lol: Mrs BB is not happy :oops:

Obviously most of this is purely cos I can, or need to, if the boat came with decent covers it wouldnt be an issue but for me at 28 foot up and over the bow rails and platform nothing will fit and the cost to have one made is not an option for me.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Bigplumbs » 04 Dec 2018, 07:35

I have been using ducksback covers for several years. I have 3 in total and they last typically 3 -4 years. Which for £75 to buy is a bargain at about £25 per year. The secret is getting them tight and making sure no water can pool. When you buy one if you are wondering about the size go for the lower size.

They are also very easy and quick to put on

I would never buy anything else now

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by ChrisH » 05 Dec 2018, 18:41

I've got a heavy duty cover in the shed I need to sell if anyone is interested.
Was on my Mariah bowrider. 21ft. But would not quite fit over the swim platform. So probably suit a 20ft bowrider or similar.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH