  • In total there are 25 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 24 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 24 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Just a thought

by mlines » 20 Nov 2018, 12:11

Based on others retirements and breakdowns on a recent meet, I am more then happy that our preventative maintenance costs are a worthwhile expense, if only for peace of mind.
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Bigplumbs » 20 Nov 2018, 12:13

Not shoving anything down peoples throat. I just like to give the other side of the argument so that people think. Of course it is up to them

I also like practical/ factual arguments rather than ones based on loads of theory.

I also don't like people with loads of money trying to convince people with very little that they must do things that are not necessary because it is 'cheap'. This just worries poor people into spending what they cant afford on things they don't need.

I also dislike like words such as Servicing as it is non specific and just allows people to charge for what is just a word.

I once had a bloke claim several pounds for 'tiffelling into position'. Another made up word.

Have you herd of the 10th man theory
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by argonaut » 20 Nov 2018, 14:33

Sorry simply do not follow your logic or agree with you.

An engine & drive are complex mechanical items - I buy items that are in warranty (not always new) and to maintain that warranty I get them serviced.
I have a HUGE investment in my boat - and the modest cost of an annual service is worth it.

I would not buy a 2nd hand boat without a FSH (same as a car) so having the stamps in the book does have a great value - come sale time.

I would never buy an expensive boat without full main dealer service history - or the warranty is invalid .... that warranty has real value to me, if that doesn't suit you then fine.

In same way I could not bother with serving my car ... might save me a couple of hundred pound .. but would lose me warranty and affect resale price.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Bigplumbs » 20 Nov 2018, 16:57

I suppose the real difference here is at the age of 55 I have never bought any significant item that has a warranty and never intend to, and I also hardly ever sell anything. In the boating world as with many other products you can buy new or nearly new with a warranty (which later costs you in the required so called servicing work) or you can buy the same boat 10 - 15 years later for about 1/4th of the cost. It is not of course all shiny and new but why would you care about that. It will still do exactly the same as it did when new and if you ding it a bit or a seagull shits all over it, or your frind climbs on it with muddy shoes you don't need to cry too much into your soup.

If however it is a case of seemingly keeping up with the bloke next door then of course that is a different story.

I spent most of my working life faffing with theory and paperwork it has kind of taught me that it is all rather pointless but sadly people who like to sit in a warm office seem to think that it is important because it stops them doing anything real and useful for the world.
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Bigplumbs » 20 Nov 2018, 17:02

When you say modest cost of an annual service........ What do you feel is modest......... I know many people who are in such a position that £20 is a lot of money.

The problem is what is cheap to one person is way beyond the means of another person............ Very sad, getting worse and I suspect will never get better
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by argonaut » 20 Nov 2018, 17:45

If you own a £50k boat then you would not think £20 is modest ..... you are just being silly now
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Bigplumbs » 20 Nov 2018, 18:54

argonaut wrote:If you own a £50k boat then you would not think £20 is modest ..... you are just being silly now

Does not follow at all. Just because you own a £50k boat does not mean you are flush........... Think about it.... Also you rather missed the point
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by shibbs » 20 Nov 2018, 19:05

Bigplumbs wrote:
Does not follow at all. Just because you own a £50k boat does not mean you are flush........... Think about it.... Also you rather missed the point

I can’t help but think that you just enjoy an argument..?
That said, no more from me on this.

by Xboatboyx » 20 Nov 2018, 19:23

shibbs wrote: I can’t help but think that you just enjoy an argument..?
That said, no more from me on this.

+1
Regal 2250 - 350mag Mercruiser
User avatar
Xboatboyx
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Location: Thames, Poole, Southampton, wherever

by argonaut » 20 Nov 2018, 19:40

I’ll say no more on this thread.

Feeding Trolls is pointless.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

PreviousNext