  • In total there are 12 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 11 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Just a thought

by Bigplumbs » 04 Dec 2018, 22:24

Ianfs wrote:10 boats :shock:
220 Model Radio Controlled Planes :shock:
3 Motorbikes
5 Cars
12 Drones....Did you say 12??? My goodness! :o

I also don't like people with loads of money trying to convince people with very little

So, when you said this you weren't talking about yourself then! :mrgreen:

All 10 of my boats cost less than many peoples one boat. Just because you have many does not mean they were expensive
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Ianfs » 05 Dec 2018, 12:52

Just because you have many does not mean they were expensive

I beg to differ dear boy, one of your boats is worth 4-5 times the value of mine and the Fletcher about twice as much maybe more. That's expensive to me, but not to you. There is no way I could afford 12 drones or even one Mavic Pro let alone 220 radio controlled aircraft. I would love a motorbike too but cannot afford one, let alone 3.

So you see Dennis, to me, you've got loads of money and I have very little, but just the same I applaud you for it and respect that its something you enjoy. :)

by Bigplumbs » 05 Dec 2018, 13:11

Ianfs wrote:
Just because you have many does not mean they were expensive

I beg to differ dear boy, one of your boats is worth 4-5 times the value of mine and the Fletcher about twice as much maybe more. That's expensive to me, but not to you. There is no way I could afford 12 drones or even one Mavic Pro let alone 220 radio controlled aircraft. I would love a motorbike too but cannot afford one, let alone 3.

So you see Dennis, to me, you've got loads of money and I have very little, but just the same I applaud you for it and respect that its something you enjoy. :)

You will see in my Previous post that we are unable to have children. I know not if you have any yourself but because so many people fail to understand why people with out children have seemingly more money than those with, I have many times worked out the average cost in lost earnings and direct cost of a single child and up to the age of 18 it is about £200,000 total. Now bearing in mind if you have more than one the loss of earnings is somewhat less for the second and third. The total cost of 2 is about £325,000 and for 3 more like £425,000.

This is the main reason I have the stuff I do. Also of course you have much more free time than those with Children and this is often spent on toys.

It is also of course true that wealth can be measured in many ways. I will leave it to you and others to put a value on Children.

Dennis

PS You can buy a DJI Spark on Gumtree quite cheap now
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by shibbs » 05 Dec 2018, 18:15

One thing I do have to agree with is the spare time theory... I am left with none!!! :lol:

by ChrisH » 05 Dec 2018, 18:38

I'll vote for kids being expensive.
Mine are 22,21 and 18 and still costing me an arm and a leg.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by Bigplumbs » 06 Dec 2018, 06:43

ChrisH wrote:I'll vote for kids being expensive.
Mine are 22,21 and 18 and still costing me an arm and a leg.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well if you do the maths and at those ages. Me and her indoors should have on the order of 500,000 more quids than you..... That will buy a few cheap fletchers.

So to the question would you rather have that extra £500,000 or those three Children and of course the possible grand children they might bring............ I think I might know the answer to that
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by ChrisH » 06 Dec 2018, 08:13

Bigplumbs wrote:
ChrisH wrote:I'll vote for kids being expensive.
Mine are 22,21 and 18 and still costing me an arm and a leg.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well if you do the maths and at those ages. Me and her indoors should have on the order of 500,000 more quids than you..... That will buy a few cheap fletchers.

So to the question would you rather have that extra £500,000 or those three Children and of course the possible grand children they might bring............ I think I might know the answer to that
Depends on which day over the last 22 years you asked me that question :-) lol

I have no idea what they have cost me. You just do the best you can for your kids with what you have.

I could have sent them to private school. But then I would not have the house I have now or the boat.. And more importantly the kids would not have the memories they have of the great holidays and other experiences we have been lucky enough to afford.

I feel very much for you and your wife. We had significant challenges in having children. If we had not been fortunate to overcome those I would have absolutely invested in the material things to make me and my wife happy and ensure we would have many happy memories together.

Of course... I still try to keep her indoors happy too :-)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by betty boop » 11 Dec 2018, 09:31

Dear oh Dear, Im almost sorry I left the UK to miss this exciting debate on Boat banter and haven't seen the post since coming back. I think it has got slightly out of hand from the original point of debate and it is sad to see in this day and age that we cant have a reasonable discussion without falling into argument between rich and poor, educated or not so educated, lucky or not so lucky. each to his / her own on what they do or don't do, why they do it /or don't is their own choice.

For the most part I agree with Dennis, there is argument for the work on engine care/prevention I believe it is ruled (as in my case) on ones own ability, wallet and the availability of resources to assist and of course your mental state for peace of mind. If I was rich I'd be too busy being a playboy to bother with doing it myself and would throw money away on service book stamps. (I have first hand experience of them being randomly stamped/forged). That said there is merit in a pile of receipts and the knowledge it may have been looked after BUT Ive been caught out on scam too. etc. etc. etc.

I also know people think I'm an idiot for wasting money by going on holiday when I've lost/due to loose my job, (not the first time) that enjoying my life a little when I've earned it is wasteful and irresponsible, that owning a boat (and having a hobby) is a waste of money and only for rich people and that rebuilding my own house(s) is a mugs game I should be ashamed of and left to the professionals.

Im now off to YBW forum to see who else Dennis is arguing with :lol: :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Dave57 » 24 Jan 2019, 09:42

Dennis, I am in awe of your collections of brilliant gear......always wanted a drone.....very nearly got sucked in with the initial Lily Cam one, and been tempted by its replacement and one or two from DJI. Thing is I want to film Voodoo Doll on the plane and berthing etc and theres a local company who will do all that for me with their drone for a very reasonable fee compared to buying, and in my case probably drowning my own drone.
In terms of "servicing" I had a very expensive time when I first bought our boat, and in the first 18 months needed a new motor on stbd side and two new drives and transom shields, thanks to some artful bodging by a previous owner, and I cannot afford not to keep all the machinery in good order, given that most of us use our boats in the harshest environment on the planet.
She is winterised and recommissioned every year, with oil / fiter changes etc, and drives have new oil and new impellor , props get acid dipped and all anodes changed etc.. This year the stbd engine came out to gain access for cleaning and lubrication after a core plug burst and sprayed salt water over the steering and a trim pump.....all this is documented, including lubricants used and I have a stack of paid invoices . I admit I'm probably a bit paranoid about the engines and drives, but it means I have the peace of mind that Ian mentioned and the support from Paul and Daniel at BBMS should anything occur, and good records for when the time comes to sell.
In a nutshell, we did very nearly 700 miles last summer, never missed a beat, and the only mishap was the core plug the week before she was lifted out for the winter anyway. Not too bad for old tech V6 Mercruisers in a 27 year old Sea Ray. Roll on April.
Dave57
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 10 Oct 2018, 08:10

by argonaut » 24 Jan 2019, 12:31

All for preventative maintenance.
Worst position is what I see regularly - guys take boats of trailer - sitting in water and engine wont start.
Days I can use boat are limited - so don't want (and have never had) a failure
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

Previous