  • In total there are 26 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 25 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 25 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Just a thought

by ian h » 20 Nov 2018, 21:18

I have a 20 year old boat and at start of this season I had all the Heat exchangers off each engine. They were taken away for cleaning where it was discovered that 1 oil cooler was about to fail - Sea water and oil not good.

Yes I had it changed and had to swallow the bill for the part. The total labour time was 4 full days . I know this as I was helping my engineer take the old parts off and put them back on again. When we put every thing back together we replaced "EVERY" jubilee clip on the cooling circuit on both engines. - Was this worth while ....... For my peace of mind YES . Some had never been taken off and on the surface looked fine with their green Volvo paint on. But when checking the torque 2 of them failed - just fell apart. so the other engine had these replaced regardless,

I can now use the boat knowing that what I have done should not fail.

Do I change impellers each year. yes as for me the boat is dry stacked and they can dry out. Plus the engine bay gets very hot. What I do not want to happen is an impeller to fail and bits block up the cooling system.

I do all this because I Can NOT afford for a major engine failure. It would write off the boat.

As others have said. Each to their own and I for 1 would not tell others how to look after their boats.

When I sold my Fletcher after 6 years of ownership from brand new I had a stack of invoices for EVERY job ever carried out on the boat , These were detailed down to the last nut bolt and grease used, I received a lovely letter from the new owner saying how much he was enjoying the boat and could see that it had been very well looked after.
He went boating with confidence knowing that nothing had been left to chance and filled him with confidence that he was going to use the boat and enjoy. NOT having to worry if it was going to break down due to neglect.

YES things do break down when not expected but I try and reduce the chances by following the guide lines laid down for service ETC.
ian h

by ChrisH » 20 Nov 2018, 23:05

Like others have said. I like preventative maintenance to reduce the chances if a breakdown when I do get out in the water. I really do not want to lose a good day because of some silly failure due to neglect. Same with my cars. When we took the boat to Spain every summer I was putting a lot of strain on the car over the 2000 mile round trip. Why would I want to risk a breakdown that would ruin my holiday that I had worked hard for all year. No thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by Bigplumbs » 21 Nov 2018, 07:29

shibbs wrote:
Bigplumbs wrote:
Does not follow at all. Just because you own a £50k boat does not mean you are flush........... Think about it.... Also you rather missed the point

I can’t help but think that you just enjoy an argument..?
That said, no more from me on this.

No not true Just disagreeing with you
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Bigplumbs » 21 Nov 2018, 07:31

argonaut wrote:I’ll say no more on this thread.

Feeding Trolls is pointless.

Very sad that just because a person does not agree with you, you acuse them of being a troll
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Bigplumbs » 21 Nov 2018, 07:35

ian h wrote:I have a 20 year old boat and at start of this season I had all the Heat exchangers off each engine. They were taken away for cleaning where it was discovered that 1 oil cooler was about to fail - Sea water and oil not good.

[...]

What about the view that pulling things apart and putting them together again can sometimes cause problems and issues

If it aint broke don't break it
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Ianfs » 21 Nov 2018, 12:20

I always thought the term was "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Dennis, just for reference, how many boats, engines, drones and model planes do you own? I hear you are a bit of a pilot as well as a boating man. :)

by ian h » 21 Nov 2018, 21:44

The reason for taking coolers out and checking was 2 fold,

Firstly they had never been inspected, Secondly when running at WOT the temp was higher than I was comfortable with, It was not over heating but in my mind something not quite right.

Both of the oil coolers actually had weed trapped in them restricting water flow. So I was pleased with result.

As said I also discovered that 1 cooler was close to letting go which would have resulted in Salt water mixed with engine oil NOT a good combination.

My approach is prevention is better than cure. Boating times are to enjoy boat not sorting breakdowns,

This is my approach and Have always treated boats the same, As said before we are all different and have methods that we follow they are OUR choice.
ian h

by Bigplumbs » 04 Dec 2018, 07:47

Ianfs wrote:I always thought the term was "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Dennis, just for reference, how many boats, engines, drones and model planes do you own? I hear you are a bit of a pilot as well as a boating man. :)

Ian

The normal quote is indeed if it aint broke dont fix it but I rather liked the variation and suggestion that some people do stuff to things that are fine and end up breaking them.

Regarding boats I have about 10:

Sealine S24, Fletcher Sports Cruiser 19 GTS, 2 Nr Fletcher Arrowstreaks 17, 2 Nr Fletcher 16', 4.5 M Rib, 3.4 m Rib, 2 Sibs, 1 NrJetski.

Model RC Planes I have on the order of 220 nr. It is rather difficult to count them

3 Motorbikes

5 Cars

Drones. I have on the order of 12 or so

As for internal combustion engines I have around about 80 or so. So maintenance and any unessary work can become a problem.

Children I have Zero (Her indoors cant have them so we were not blessed in that way).... This is probably the reason (More time and money to play with) that I have so much of the other stuff.

My moto is never have one of anything and when asked why I have 10 boats My answer is because 11 would be excessive.

I wonder what Santa will bring

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Ianfs » 04 Dec 2018, 13:56

10 boats :shock:
220 Model Radio Controlled Planes :shock:
3 Motorbikes
5 Cars
12 Drones....Did you say 12??? My goodness! :o

I also don't like people with loads of money trying to convince people with very little

So, when you said this you weren't talking about yourself then! :mrgreen:

by lewlew100 » 04 Dec 2018, 18:17

Very nice to hear of another collector!!! I just Have to show this list to MY wife to convince her how frugal I am. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

PreviousNext