  • In total there are 33 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 33 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Where to Launch a 9M Rib on the Thames

by ian h » 28 Oct 2018, 21:24

As per title

Friend of mine is looking to launch his 9 m rib on the Thames for a winter cruise .

Does anyone have any recommendations and prices please.
ian h

by mlines » 29 Oct 2018, 11:12

Some I know of

Val Wyatt , Wargrave, for Henley on Thames (circa £80) - in middle of winter boat lift so may not be keen on winter visitors. High quality slipway
Windsor MDL, for Windsor, (circa £25) - dog-leg reverse to slipway. Good parking and trailer storage
Windsor Public - carparking rates (circa £12) - Good slipway but short so drop off the end for the unwary. Trailer and car parking at car park rates.
Marlow - free but no trailer or car parking. You are suppose to use a car park about 0.5 miles away which is pretty impractical
Flowerpot , Medmenham for Henley on Thames - free but "Ebay slip" - Eastern europeans launching their latest ebay purchase and then abandoning their white vans across the road. Parking ad-hoc.
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Ianfs » 29 Oct 2018, 16:23

Flowerpot , Medmenham for Henley on Thames - free but "Ebay slip" - Eastern europeans launching their latest ebay purchase and then abandoning their white vans across the road. Parking ad-hoc.

I nearly fell off my chair reading that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I suppose it depnds upon where your friend would like to cruise, i.e. upper or lower Thames.

I used the Marlow slip loads, its a great slip but the access road is narrow so you would have to turn the boat by hand in order to reverse in the trailer, the road is too long to reverse all the way down. Martins right though, the car park at Court Gardens is small and at weekends even in Winter is usually full. However if you can get in the way to do it is to drive the boat up under the bridge to the tow path about 200m and wait whilst the other parked the car, its only a short walk then across the green to the river. We used to leave the car and trailer in a friends drive round the corner so it was much easier.
Marlow Slip.jpg
Marlow Slip.jpg (251.83 KiB) Viewed 11536 times

It's got a great pub there too...
Two Brewers pub.jpg
Two Brewers pub.jpg (214.17 KiB) Viewed 11536 times

I remembered there were a couple of slip near you, Caversham Bridge although it looks a bit narrow

Caversham bridge slip.jpg
Caversham bridge slip.jpg (176.07 KiB) Viewed 11536 times

And Thames valley park, which I think used to be run Marsport

Thames Valley park slip.jpg
Thames Valley park slip.jpg (232.11 KiB) Viewed 11536 times

Marsport Early Slip.jpg
Marsport Early Slip.jpg (161.54 KiB) Viewed 11536 times

by ian h » 29 Oct 2018, 21:09

Many thanks all for the reply's I will let him know.

Think the 9 meters is going to rule out those that are not that easy / accessible. Or have only a short slip. From conversations I believe he needs approx 21 foot of slip before the rib will float off the trailer

Thames valley park looks like a possibility.
ian h

by mlines » 30 Oct 2018, 06:21

Thames valley park is run by Wokingham council from their watersports centre. It is free but the gate is locked and you have to get the key from the centre which is a bit of a pain as opening hours can be limited. Also it it really a dinghy/canoe slip, the surfacing only goes a metre or two into the river. The same goes for reading slip, small boats only.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by ChrisH » 30 Oct 2018, 15:45

mlines wrote:Thames valley park is run by Wokingham council from their watersports centre. It is free but the gate is locked and you have to get the key from the centre which is a bit of a pain as opening hours can be limited. Also it it really a dinghy/canoe slip, the surfacing only goes a metre or two into the river. The same goes for reading slip, small boats only.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I tried several years ago to get access to launch from here. Water sports sent me to security and security sent me back to water sports center. They seemed clueless

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by mlines » 30 Oct 2018, 16:02

A friend launched from there earlier this year (2018) but he did phone up in advance and check that the keyholder would be there