  • In total there are 38 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Mercury 115

by Jonrob26 » 27 Oct 2018, 16:05

Hi guys, I'm a new member so please excuse my ignorance.

At present I'm on the hunt for my families 1st boat, living by the coast I'm hoping to enable my 2 boys to learn to wakeboard etc and have some fun on the sea.

I "think" I've found a decent suitable boat but my 1 reservation is the engine.

It has a 1991 Mercury 115 on the back, it seems to be in reasonable shape and the owner assures me it has been looked after and hasn't missed a beat.

My biggest concern is that a friend informed me he had heard these engines can be expensive to maintain and spare parts are becoming hard to find.

I was informed they can also be heavy on fuel, although it is attached to a 16ft speedboat so this would have an effect.

Appreciate any guidance any of you may have.

Regards
Jon
Jonrob26
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 27 Oct 2018, 15:52

by ColinR » 29 Oct 2018, 09:41

I used to have one of those on a 18ft bowrider. I have to say it was the worst motor I've ever tried to run although that might have been just mine!

I will say, though, that is was very very thirsty but very quick.

Problems I had were mostly fuel related. It was OK cold but once it was warmed up it would not idle so getting into a mooring or marina was hell on water. I spent ages and a fortune trying to get it right before giving up and selling the boat and moving to an inboard.

Old outboards are OK if you have the shills to maintain them, personally I'd bin it and look for a more modern 4 stroke.
User avatar
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

Location: Hampshire, England

by Bigplumbs » 19 Nov 2018, 18:56

ColinR wrote:I used to have one of those on a 18ft bowrider. I have to say it was the worst motor I've ever tried to run although that might have been just mine!

I will say, though, that is was very very thirsty but very quick.

Problems I had were mostly fuel related. It was OK cold but once it was warmed up it would not idle so getting into a mooring or marina was hell on water. I spent ages and a fortune trying to get it right before giving up and selling the boat and moving to an inboard.

Old outboards are OK if you have the shills to maintain them, personally I'd bin it and look for a more modern 4 stroke.

Well I have 6 outboards 5 Two stroke and one 4 stroke. I also have a Mercury 115 and in my view it is a brilliant engine. I would go 2 stroke every time.

Far more simple, easy to maintain and nothing to do to them in the winter.

Never bin an outboard they have significant value.

As for fuel consumption just ingor it. The number of times most people use a boat in a season the extra you use makes very little real difference.

I also have a 60 hp 2 stroke mariner again an excellent engine.

Modern 4 strokes are like modern cars stuffed full of unecessary stuff just waiting to let you down. Its the sad old save the planet brigade that have caused it

My 115 is the 4 cylinder 2 +2 ELEPTO Is yours the earlier clam shell
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by ColinR » 20 Nov 2018, 15:38

Just goes to show, opinions are all about personal experience. Not that this helps Jon of course :roll:
User avatar
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

Location: Hampshire, England

by Ianfs » 21 Nov 2018, 12:43

Weren't the import of two stroke outboards banned just over ten years ago, something to do with them not meeting emission standards. Gosh, I can remember (aheemm :shock: ) when I was selling cars back in the '70's when manufacturers had to make them with fuel injection because they couldn't produce a carburettor to meet emission standards and there was a massive hoo ha at the extra cost, until the Japanese stepped in.

by ian h » 21 Nov 2018, 21:59

Ianfs wrote:Weren't the import of two stroke outboards banned just over ten years ago, something to do with them not meeting emission standards. Gosh, I can remember (aheemm :shock: ) when I was selling cars back in the '70's when manufacturers had to make them with fuel injection because they couldn't produce a carburettor to meet emission standards and there was a massive hoo ha at the extra cost, until the Japanese stepped in.

And now look what all new cars in the EU have to meet on emissions - a real night mare
ian h

by Ianfs » 28 Nov 2018, 14:42

And now look what all new cars in the EU have to meet on emissions - a real night mare

Can't agree more dear boy. :)