  • In total there are 52 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 52 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Keeping the boat interior dry over winter - preventing mould

by betty boop » 01 Nov 2018, 21:18

MartynG wrote:Setting a petrol engined boat on fire to keep warm is not a good plan! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C1UffraQn0

funny I recognised it as Burton waters - but yes know all about that -

you see Equinox pulling out of the smoke at 3.44 into the video

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zyYCzZ9N74[/youtube]
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by argonaut » 12 Jan 2019, 22:45

I have used a demumidifier for many years.
Set to auto ... I put a drain pipe out through the transom drain hole.
I run it to a 5 Lit container .. and it must take out at least 40 L over the winter covers on time.

When it does come time to open her up .... all fully dry, absolutely zero mould or damp - ever.

A dehumidifier running on auto only switches on when it detect air moisture above set level, efficient and good at what it does.

Far better than heaters, as the goal is not to warm things up but to control based on relative humidity.

Prior to having powered unit ... I used to use the ‘rechargeable’ crystal ones .... type you plug into the mains for a few Hrs until crystals turn blue.

They are better than nothing but much less capable than a rotating disc dehumidifier.

BTW ... don’t get a compresser based dehumidifier, these drop efficiency with temp ... so useless when you need them most.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by MartynG » 14 Jan 2019, 23:09

Once again the Meaco is earning its keep. The boat interior feels comfortably dry - this is with the dehumidifier on a medium setting.
The dehumidifier does cut out if the temperature falls below 5 degrees but I don't think that has been too often so far this winter. So even the desiccant type dehumidifiers dont work if it is too cold.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by MartynG » 17 Nov 2022, 21:09

An older thread but still relevant at this time of year.
Last winter I used the minimum 60% rh setting and it was fine
So same again this time
Image
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by argonaut » 17 Nov 2022, 23:21

Agree mine is in and working fine, piped out through transom drain hole - it extracted about 8L of water in first month, now just a small amount weekly.
The dehumidifier was a great investment.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by MartynG » 18 Nov 2022, 19:06

Yes I also think the dehumidifier was a good investment.
Ultimately it helps keep the boat healthy and free of mould and ready to go in the spring. Potentially pays for itself by avoiding damage from mould. Keeps the chief officer happy.
I used moisture traps on a smaller(25ft) boat but they were not up to the job on my present 33ft boat.

Only just over a month to go to the shortest day , then we will be looking forwards to spring.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by ian h » 20 Nov 2022, 21:16

Have to agree the dehumidifier was 1 of the best investments I purchased for the boat,

Used to boat all year round , but was always dry and no damp issues at all,

The key is to have it draining to the outside, If you have mains power to the boat its something that you should invest in, Along side a conditioner charger.
ian h

by argonaut » 21 Nov 2022, 09:16

It is always incredible how much water it sucks out in first month ... I have pipe out through the transom into a 5L container, it fills quickly in first month.
Assume its water absorbed into seats etc.
Each Easter always dry and clean when I open up, no mould or damp.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by MartynG » 22 Nov 2022, 08:05

At the moment I am starting the dehumidifier on a Sunday and letting it fill its own tank at which point it cuts out. From monitoring electricity use, which I can do via ana app, this takes about 2 days or so .
This is effective in keeping the interior adequately dry.
I am able to get to the boat easily as its less than a mile from home.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by argonaut » 22 Nov 2022, 09:00

It is amazing how much water it pulls out.
I run mine that way initially, then added a drain hose which I route out through transom bung hole.
Leave mine on Auto mode at 60%
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

PreviousNext