  • In total there are 30 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 30 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Keeping the boat interior dry over winter - preventing mould

by MartynG » 27 Oct 2018, 12:37

I have been using a Meaco dehumidifier over the last couple of winters . It does good job, in part time use ,keeping the boat interior dry enough to prevent mould.
Just thought a I would mention it in case others are looking for a suitable dehumidifier (this is not a sales pitch just satisfied customer)
https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/sear ... eco%20dd8l
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by ChrisH » 27 Oct 2018, 21:26

MartynG wrote:I have been using a Meaco dehumidifier over the last couple of winters . It does good job, in part time use ,keeping the boat interior dry enough to prevent mould.
Just thought a I would mention it in case others are looking for a suitable dehumidifier (this is not a sales pitch just satisfied customer)
https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/sear ... eco%20dd8l
Wish I had power

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by shibbs » 27 Oct 2018, 23:20

Me too!!

by MartynG » 28 Oct 2018, 10:58

No shore power ? How uncivilised :D

I used to use moisture traps in my previous (25ft)boat . However they don't seem to cope with my present boat which is 33ft and we occupy it much more in the winter. Even so if we had no shore power I would be using moisture traps.
.
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/unibond-aer ... lsrc=aw.ds
.
https://www.lakeland.co.uk/24627/Lakela ... vD_BwE:G:s
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by betty boop » 28 Oct 2018, 16:51

power near by but a nagging voice is overwhelming me not to use it. having just opened the covers to take out the bedding etc. shes in a terrible state already - condensation has taken hold really quickly. lots of mould and damp inside and out. going to be a long winter :-(
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by ian h » 28 Oct 2018, 21:22

Heaters went in the boat yesterday,

They are set to come on when temp drops below 6 C . has worked in the past keeping the boat dry and mould free.
ian h

by MartynG » 30 Oct 2018, 08:01

betty boop wrote:power near by but a nagging voice is overwhelming me not to use it. having just opened the covers to take out the bedding etc. shes in a terrible state already - condensation has taken hold really quickly. :-(

If not heating I suggest ventilation.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by betty boop » 01 Nov 2018, 10:54

just ordered a small tube heater to keep the engine warm over winter - but it just occurred to me about petrol fumes etc. is putting the heater in the bilge a good idea? wouldnt be to bad but as I sit here in the lounge the bilge is about 2.5m from my right shoulder, going up in smoke could be a bit of a problem :o
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by ColinR » 01 Nov 2018, 15:24

If you mean greenhouse type tube heater then you should be fine.
User avatar
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

Location: Hampshire, England

by MartynG » 01 Nov 2018, 20:33

Setting a petrol engined boat on fire to keep warm is not a good plan! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C1UffraQn0
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41