It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 04:40

Motor Boat Forum

Red Funnel Crash again

by ian h » 21 Oct 2018, 20:08

What are Red Funnel doing again,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... e-45932147

rather worrying as this is not the first time this year.

And we are going to the Isle of Wight on Red Funnel in November too :D
ian h
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

by ChrisH » 21 Oct 2018, 22:06

ian h wrote:What are Red Funnel doing again,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... e-45932147

rather worrying as this is not the first time this year.

And we are going to the Isle of Wight on Red Funnel in November too :D
Saw the sunk boat today when out.
The ferry was way off course. It must have gone through all of the swinging moorings to the east as you enter the harbour. The sunken boat was the last of the swinging moorings to the east. Also the big red post with the speed limit on it was at a precarious angle. Not sure if that was hit too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by ColinR » 22 Oct 2018, 10:05

Once might be a bit unfortunate but twice over a relatively short timescale is a bit worrying.
User avatar
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

Location: Hampshire, England

by MartynG » 22 Oct 2018, 18:10

Surely the ferry skippers make the same trip several times a day.
Is this the fault of the an individual or some other factor. Is the space available for the ferry inadequate to cater for adverse conditions such as poor visibility? Or perhaps people are expected to work unreasonably long hours ?
User avatar
MartynG
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: Farndon

by betty boop » 24 Oct 2018, 10:20

didn't they also kill a night sailor a few years ago or was that another ferry?

either way loved the yacht owners claim for £200000 for a like for like replacement - you kidding me - looked like a project from ebay for £5k tops. I really hope he gets his money but I doubt the insurance company will think the same way.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by MartynG » 24 Oct 2018, 22:01

betty boop wrote:didn't they also kill a night sailor a few years ago or was that another ferry?

either way loved the yacht owners claim for £200000 for a like for like replacement - you kidding me - looked like a project from ebay for £5k tops. I really hope he gets his money but I doubt the insurance company will think the same way.

I imagine the boat that was sunk is insured ?
If not that says something about its lack of value
If it is insured there will be an agreed sum insured . The insurers for the ferry may well be involved although I expect , as a business, their excess will be quite high.
User avatar
MartynG
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer