• Boat Banter

It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:46
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 70 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 70 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 70 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Is it true about Size

by Bigplumbs » 30 Sep 2018, 14:26

Many people have told me that the amount of fun you have in a boat is inversely proportional to the boats size.

I actually wonder if this is true. At the boat show I bought a Honwave T38ie and plonked my 9.8 hp 2 stroke Tohatsu to it (Many said that would not be enough engine), I had the first opportunity to try it yesterday so I talked her indoors to coming along and lugging about engines etc and with the help of a yaughty friend of mine flying his Mavic Pro he got this video

I think this is a testament to both the little Honwave, The Tohatsu and John flying his Mavic as well as confirmation of the fun to be had in a little boat. I was just a fat git trying to move the tiller.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.ph ... ost6562321

Dennis
Last edited by Ianfs on 01 Oct 2018, 09:59, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Embedded the video for Dennis
Bigplumbs
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by ChrisH » 30 Sep 2018, 16:15

My view Dennis is that different size boats bring different types if fun.
My first boat was a 3.8m sib with 15hp 2 stoke. Oodles of fun . Like driving a gocart. My 15ft center console raniery with 50hp was fun in a different way. Especially launching off wake and waves. So light and so much buoyancy the bow seemed impossible to bury. And the 20ft Maria and now my pocket cruiser all bring different fun experiences.. I guess this is why you have more than one boat.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by Bigplumbs » 30 Sep 2018, 16:44

ChrisH wrote:My view Dennis is that different size boats bring different types if fun.
My first boat was a 3.8m sib with 15hp 2 stoke. Oodles of fun . Like driving a gocart. My 15ft center console raniery with 50hp was fun in a different way. Especially launching off wake and waves. So light and so much buoyancy the bow seemed impossible to bury. And the 20ft Maria and now my pocket cruiser all bring different fun experiences.. I guess this is why you have more than one boat.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That is precisely why I have more than one boat :)
Bigplumbs
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by Ianfs » 01 Oct 2018, 10:16

Thanks for posting that Dennis, I hope you don't mind but because we have an embedding tool for YouTube I popped it in so it would be easier for us all to just click on it.

Thats a great Rib you've got there and she is fairly swift. I'm in complete agreement with you both about size, you can have as much fun on a small rib as a bigger boat, but as Chris says they bring on different types of excitement.

I suspect that as you have a yachty mate, you've been on board sailing with him, so you'll know what I mean when I say this. Laura and I had a trip out on our friends yacht on Friday out of Lymington. It was in the afternoon, spring tides with a F4 fairly steady NW breeze and at that time the tide would have been pushing 3-4knts through Hurst for the time we were out and was running 2-3knts in the rest of the Solent, so we decided to head East to Newtown Creek. Well we pushed against the tide for an hour then put a tack in North then another back to Newtown. Well after a couple of hours sailing we had hardly moved and Lymington was still off our port beam. :lol: :lol: Consequently although we had some great fun sailing, it renewed my feelings that it's not a yacht I want but some nice oily carbon fuel burners. We would have been in Cowes sipping a nice pint and back in the Marina for supper in the same time we went nowhere sailing. :lol: :mrgreen:
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by shibbs » 07 Oct 2018, 18:50

That looks great fun Dennis, so many uses for it also. I bet that will come into its own in the winter when a nice sunny warm day comes about and all the others are wrapped up. :mrgreen:
Stu

Princess 286 Riviera
Twin Volvo Penta AD41’s
shibbs
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Return to Motor Boat Forum

User Menu