  • In total there are 50 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 50 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Mooring line to cleat with no tunnel

by ChrisH » 21 Sep 2018, 15:50

So my Hardy has some nice large cleats on her, 3 each side, but they do not have a tunnel.
I'm used to pushing the loop end of my line through the tunnel and then over the horns of the cleat.
Is there a clever way to use the mooring line loop on a cleat with no tunnel?

The only option I found so far was to put the loop over the horns, and then add a twist and push over each horn again. But it's a tight squeeze and they are tricky to get back off again, especially if I tie off a fender to the same cleat.
User avatar
ChrisH

by Xboatboyx » 21 Sep 2018, 16:20

ChrisH wrote: The only option I found so far was to put the loop over the horns, and then add a twist and push over each horn again. But it's a tight squeeze and they are tricky to get back off again, especially if I tie off a fender to the same cleat.

Our marina tug boat is the same so we either twist and loop over again as you said or we cable tie to make the loop smaller so it can't come off easily but then the ropes stay permanently out. To save space on your cleats you could buy some fender eyes to tie the fenders around or like us get some fast fender clips which allows you to adjust the fenders quickly and a stainless clip so all you have to do is clip the fenders on ( this is handy if your single handed as its quicker).
Regal 2250 - 350mag Mercruiser
User avatar
Xboatboyx
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Location: Thames, Poole, Southampton, wherever

by Ianfs » 21 Sep 2018, 16:23

Sounds like you have ready made mooring lines with spliced loops.

The Hardy's were probably made to take a standard line once round, two figure eights, then a single cleat hitch. If you needed to slip lines in a hurry its the preferred method. Like this....

Cleat hitch.jpg
Cleat hitch.jpg (231.23 KiB) Viewed 14155 times

By passing the line once round it won't lock under pressure then the two figure eights will hold pretty well and can be left but the last hitch is a safety method for heavy weather.

I'm sure there are other methods though. :)

by ChrisH » 21 Sep 2018, 16:30

yep, this is what I do on the dockside, but I do like the spliced loop. :-(
User avatar
ChrisH

by ChrisH » 21 Sep 2018, 16:31

Xboatboyx wrote:
ChrisH wrote: The only option I found so far was to put the loop over the horns, and then add a twist and push over each horn again. But it's a tight squeeze and they are tricky to get back off again, especially if I tie off a fender to the same cleat.

Our marina tug boat is the same so we either twist and loop over again as you said or we cable tie to make the loop smaller so it can't come off easily but then the ropes stay permanently out. To save space on your cleats you could buy some fender eyes to tie the fenders around or like us get some fast fender clips which allows you to adjust the fenders quickly and a stainless clip so all you have to do is clip the fenders on ( this is handy if your single handed as its quicker).

Thanks. Have looked at some online, was thinking about some too as I will likely be single handed much more now Dan has gone to Uni
User avatar
ChrisH

by ChrisH » 21 Sep 2018, 16:34

ChrisH wrote:
Xboatboyx wrote:
ChrisH wrote:

Thanks. Have looked at some online, was thinking about some too as I will likely be single handed much more now Dan has gone to Uni

But I might just tie a thin line to the bottom of all the fenders so I can pull them up in one go and let them down again when single handed :-)
User avatar
ChrisH

by Ianfs » 27 Sep 2018, 07:27

Genius idea. :D