  • In total there are 53 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 52 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 52 guests

Motor Boat Forum

CO detectors

by betty boop » 21 Sep 2018, 08:55

just a small post and end of season but Carbon monoxide detectors on boats - they do work.

A recent trip to Poole we ran the engine with the covers up but unzipped- cant remember why probably just a quick battery charge, anyway - after 5 mins the cabin CO detector went nuts. wall mounted half way up the bulkhead wall just inside the door way.

No harm to us as we were outside drinking tea and I'm fully aware of not running the engines, covers up and being below decks so no big issue but it proves there is a need and they should be fitted. Hopefully you all have one. :?: or will have next season.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 21 Sep 2018, 12:40

That's a great post.

A while ago Martin Lines gave a really good explanation to why this happens. Something to do with air vortex and exhaust gases being sucked into the covered areas but can't remember it accurately. :)

by ChrisH » 21 Sep 2018, 15:45

Good reminder thanks. Mine does not have one.
We ran the other day with just the back of the canopy open and I was surprised now wet the back of the backseat was. Shows how the air does loop back around with all of the spray.
User avatar
ChrisH

by ian h » 21 Sep 2018, 19:28

now that is scary as to how easy problems can arise.

Good post and reminder to us all to have CO2 detectors
ian h

by shibbs » 21 Sep 2018, 20:45

Agree,
I have one in the cabin, just for peace of mind really as very very rarely is there anyone in there when the engine is running.
Has made me think about fitting another into the cockpit area though just for the odd occasion that the cover is up with the engine running.
Will add that to the winter jobs list.
Thanks for posting.

by Bigplumbs » 22 Sep 2018, 14:29

ian h wrote:now that is scary as to how easy problems can arise.

Good post and reminder to us all to have CO2 detectors

CO Loose the 2 :)
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Bigplumbs » 22 Sep 2018, 14:36

Just ordered one from Amazon. I did not have one

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by mlines » 24 Sep 2018, 09:03

"Station Wagon" effect

Image
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by betty boop » 24 Sep 2018, 15:25

glad to help, personally I thought having one was a bit OTT for a cuddy never run with the cover up but being a bit a worrier I borrowed the one from above our solid fuel boiler as its never burning over summer, now I have one regardless as I forgot it a few times. Very easy to see that someone could be reading below decks and would pass out and the rescuer also be put at risk.

Fire Alarms is another - terrifies me going anywhere without one. We did plan an escape route through the hatch if the door was on fire but wonder A, how much time one would have from alarm to burning feet covered in molten plastic? or more specifically - B - would our combined fat ass's fit through the window hatch ? needless to say that was the end of that conversation :o :lol: :lol:

Did you also know that rescuing someone below desks could be fatal, RNLI had a water filled yacht crew went down to rescue the owner and were over come - passed out - 3rd crew similar, 4th crew had to drag out all 3 - turned out the salt water on lead acid batteries causes sulphuric or chlorine gas (if I recall correctly) which is as deadly as CO - not that you are likely to go down into a sinking yacht or remember but interesting none the less.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 24 Sep 2018, 17:31

One of the most dangerous problems in WW11 submarines...Chlorine gas produced from sea water mixing with battery acid (sulfuric). :shock: