  • In total there are 51 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 51 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests

Motor Boat Forum

RYA to cease as UK National Authority for Powerboat Racing

by ian h » 17 Aug 2018, 16:04

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/news/ ... acing.aspx

To be honest not a bad thing as they appear to have been very much against powerboat racing for a long time
ian h

by Ianfs » 18 Aug 2018, 07:43

I have to agree whole heartedly Ian and the sooner they stop paying lip service to being the UK governing body to motor boats in general, the better.

by MartynG » 30 Aug 2018, 20:25

Ianfs wrote: the sooner they stop paying lip service to being the UK governing body to motor boats in general, the better.

Why do you say that?
What is the alternative for motor boats?
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by Ianfs » 01 Sep 2018, 15:31

Hi Martyn
Sorry for not replying sooner.
Why do you say that?

I used the words Lip Service because, in my view, over the last 30-40yrs this was the best way I could describe my feelings about them as an association which should be whole heartedly throwing everything they have at helping motor boating in the UK. For me, the dictionary definition of Lip Service is "to say that you agree with something but do nothing to support it”. To be fair it’s not strictly true to the letter i.e. the word “nothing” in there, but “not do a lot to support it” or in fact even Govern it, pretty well sums it up.
Furthermore, to make matters worse, they call themselves the UK Governing Body of Boating or National Governing Body and again a definition is …. "the group of officials who draw up the rules that govern the actions and conduct of a body such as a school, university, or sport, and who ensure that these rules are followed” Yes, they have established rules for racing in both sailing and powerboating, but I have not seen any evidence that they have tried to establish licencing for boats in the UK or at least try to formalise boat ownership with some sort of compulsory training and / or insurance. I fully understand that a law would have to be passed in order for this to happen but they have had since 1953 to lobby Governments. A group of people who want to be a Governing Body, should try to achieve this as a minimum. I appreciate there will be some in the boating world who will not want to pay for a licence or have compulsory insurance but nearly everyone I know has had some sort of training and gets their boat insured. Rules of the road on the water are Governed by the MCA, so they can’t Govern this, therefore what do they actually Govern? And if we argue that the MCA should be establishing licences and compulsory boat insurance then the RYA cannot be the Governing Body of Boating
Arguably they have established a good set of training standards, but from what I have seen and heard from trainers over the years, they take their pound of flesh as a business but rarely give it back in other forms as well as other things dictatorial. In addition, a lot of the training idea’s come directly from the trainers themselves.
I can’t remember when Belgium put a ban on boats entering their waters with red diesel but I know they have fined people for it. The RYA did publish that boaters should be aware of this but it was the Cruising Association (I’m pretty certain I did read this in MBY magazine) who met with the Belgium Ambassador and who used their influence with their agents over there to get them to relax the rules and fines.

What is the alternative for motor boats?

Well yes, this is the problem, there are plenty of boating associations, like the CA I mentioned but none seem to want to take on the RYA.
Going back to why I said “the sooner they stop paying lip service to being the UK governing body to motor boats in general, the better.” is not to get rid of them but to somehow get them to step up to the mark and actually become what they say they are.
I hope this all makes sense, probably not and it is only an opinion.

by MartynG » 06 Sep 2018, 22:26

Must admit apart from paying my subs i don't get anything much in return.
There are , however , RYA instructors in our area who are exclusively motorboat orientated .
I do think sailing is given most of the focus

I am going to spend week on a yacht - with sails- and will let you know if I feel more in tune with the RYA after that,
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by Ianfs » 10 Sep 2018, 15:00

There are , however , RYA instructors in our area who are exclusively motorboat orientated .
I do think sailing is given most of the focus

I am going to spend week on a yacht - with sails- and will let you know if I feel more in tune with the RYA after that,

Quite a few of my boating friends call instructors, who are either self employed or who belong to a training centre, RYA instructors, when in fact they are not actually employed by the RYA. They teach the syllabus's and provide a certificate, the revenue of which goes to the RYA, but thats about it. A lot of the trainers I know also go above and beyond the syllabus and are excellent trainers in their own right. This is one of the things I have a problem with.

You haven't mentioned if you know how to sail, but I'm guessing you do have some experience. If not, I think some invaluable advice is, always coil sheets and halyards clockwise onto a winch using two hands, never with one unless there is no power on the sheet and secondly, get to grips as quickly as possible with how the clutches work and which rope does what.

I hope you have a great deal of fun Martyn.

by MartynG » 18 Sep 2018, 19:10

The RYA instructors near us are not employees of RYA but they have taken RYA training. I am fairly sure none of them make a living out of it.

I have never controlled a sailing boat. But the chap who is going with us will be in charge of all that.
We are taking gloves for rope handling.
I do know what a clutch is as I have one on my motorboat .

On the sailing boat I will be the engine man - and helm when motoring... especially when coming into port.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by Ianfs » 18 Sep 2018, 20:04

[quote] I do know what a clutch is as I have one on my motorboat ./quote]

These......
clutches32.jpg
clutches32.jpg (21.65 KiB) Viewed 14195 times

Not seen them on a motor boat.

Hope you have a great time Martyn.