  • In total there are 48 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 48 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Even Grimsby looks okay in the sun

by MartynG » 26 Jul 2018, 18:24

A little video from my recent holiday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXwwOPBrMT8&t=59s
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by lewlew100 » 26 Jul 2018, 20:58

That looks like you have had a great time. I was impressed by the smooth stern to docking. was that just engine/helm controls or were thrusters involved? Our recent weather has allowed some fantastic boating opportunities and I am so glad that you (and others) were able to take advantage of it. It certainly beats campervanning!!! Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by MartynG » 27 Jul 2018, 18:03

I don't recall if I used the bow thruster or not.
I would certainly have switched on the bow thruster and had it ready for action . May even have give the bow a nudge or two and helped it to make the turn.

The boat steers quite well using the engines and going backwards

The manoeuvre is very similar to our home mooring. It does help the skipper look good if the chief officer knows what she is doing. I had to hold it out on pause while she sorted the fenders out off camera . We make a good team.

Such relaxing hobby yet at the same time making a sea trip is always challenging . We love it.

Our up-coming adventure at the end of September will be a sailing trip in a Bavaria 40 on the Ionian Sea . We seem to be somewhat addicted to boating.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by MartynG » 27 Jul 2018, 18:17

This one back on the River Trent - with added speed from youtube to relieve the boredom.
Being there is much more interesting than watching a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6b1XVTLPL8&t=366s
.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by lewlew100 » 27 Jul 2018, 22:41

Another nice video - thanks for posting. Back in the mid seventies we had a mooring in the Brayford pool, Lincoln. We would often go up to Torksey and turn left, but in our small boat (18' Europa 4) bottled out of using the tidal Trent. We would moor alongside Newark castle and usually visited a Chinese restaurant opposite. I seem to remember that we visited a pub called the Navigation at trentlock and followed the river Soar to Mountsorrel. This return voyage took us nearly two weeks (plenty of stops on route) - a journey that takes about 75 mins each way by car. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by Ianfs » 28 Jul 2018, 18:35

Great videos Martyn thanks for posting. Very clear video.

by MartynG » 29 Jul 2018, 10:37

Ianfs wrote:Great videos Martyn thanks for posting. Very clear video.

I am new to trying video recordings and trying to find ways to mount the camera to get a decent view while at the same time not having a risk of losing the camera over the side .
My camera mount for these videos includes an aluminium broom handle and a cable tie. A better arrangement is under consideration.

I am pleased the videos have been enjoyed although I think they don't really capture the experience.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by Ianfs » 29 Jul 2018, 11:53

I am pleased the videos have been enjoyed although I think they don't really capture the experience

You mean you want to produce something like this...………….

by MartynG » 30 Jul 2018, 19:30

Ianfs wrote:
I am pleased the videos have been enjoyed although I think they don't really capture the experience

You mean you want to produce something like this...………….

That's very good.
I don't think I will be buying a drone and not really intending to buy an expensive camera. However that video provides a few ideas . Thanks.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by Ianfs » 31 Jul 2018, 06:42

I think the drone adds to any experience but since my son and I have been filming we've found that you don't need to spend loads to get some great footage, so the drone shots are great but not essential.

On that video he used a cheap second-hand Sony with a 55mm lens for the general video. I would say that the camera you shot with was excellent and you wouldn't want any more.

What he has taught me is movement and short frames. Then some careful editing.

Hope that helps in some small way. :)

Next