  • In total there are 46 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 45 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Stiff Throttle

by GrahamM » 18 Jul 2018, 15:08

As part of my refurb of my Bayliner Capri, the lower shift cable on the OMC Cobra sterndrive requires changing. It looks an ok job to do on U Tube but the description on how to set up the new cable is not very clear. Any tips gratefully received or any ideas on how much it would cost for the professionals to do it. :o
GrahamM
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 06 Jul 2018, 07:29

by shibbs » 19 Jul 2018, 09:59

I’ve not done the job myself however have changed cables on other types of engines.
I personally would just crack on after doing lots of reading / watching.
At least if you get the cable changed yourself and don’t manage the adjustment then you’ll only be paying for part of the job, not all.
Should be achievable with some research though. Plenty of info on stuff like that on the US forums.
Good luck.

by Ianfs » 20 Jul 2018, 16:01

Hi Graham

I've done the job on my Alpha One drive but not the Cobra and I agree with Shibbs, crack on.

From the looks of it watching the YouTube videos it seem fairly straightforward, but I have a word of advice first. If you are planning to do work on your engine and drive, if you haven't done so already, invest in some proper marine grease and some sealing compound, not a sealant but a non washout type of greasy substance used for sealing out water but never goes off, great on nuts and bolts and for area's that require a good hold but you may want to undo in a few years after submersion in the briny stuff. My choice over the years has been Quicksilver 2-4-C marine grease with Teflon, it is completely waterproof and does not wash out at all, plus Quicksilver Perfect Seal, its very expensive but you will never use a can and it lasts forever and can be used for a number of different applications too. It's extremely sticky and will make a right mess if you aren't careful but then that's what you want in a marine environment.

This is a good tutorial how too, only thing is they don't give the measurement for the adjustment at the engine end, they suggest you have a gauge tool, but most cables are adjusted by a ruler usually 6" from the middle of the brass barrel anchor.

https://www.nlamarine.com/pages/omc-cobra-shift-cable-removal-installation-adjustment-instructions-guide

Hope this helps :D

PS, This may be teaching your grandmother to suck eggs but remember, the two bellows that can sink your boat are the UJ bellows and the Lower Shift Bellows. So be extra vigilant when sealing off the shift bellows and also careful if you have to remove the UJ bellows, in fact unless you know when these were replaced I would replace them both.