  • In total there are 70 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 70 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 70 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Glastron

by argonaut » 13 Jul 2018, 08:22

Problem for me is I want to change ... options are limited.

Bringing in a new Monterey is not an option ... the 25% tariff on US goods is now going to kill US boat imports .......
Boat dealer will ... change US $ sign to £ add 20% VAT and 25% duty .....

I have been looking for a boat for a while - GIBBS do not even respond.

Had I thought a nice option on a Chaparral 216 SSI but on a trailer that is 98" high to top of windscreen ..... 18" higher than entrance to my boat shed .......!!!
Chaparral have a high freeboard, but must also be trailer it is on.

Also was negotiating on a Regal 2000 esx .... dealer went unresponsive for 48 Hrs .. then advised sold.
Seen a new Regal 2000 esx, problem is dealer wants full list price for boat and offering very poor trade-in value on mine ..... he cites import tariff makes this stock boat desirable (as no new ones coming in) ... which means used prices should be better - but rejects that point saying used prices are lower.

I know a private sale is better - but then can end up with months without a boat ... and season is too short for that.

As an FYI boats I would consider are (ignoring crazily priced tournament boats - Mastercraft/Malibu/Tige/Axis etc.)
Cobalt - SeaRay - Crownline - Chaparral - Monterey - Regal - Larson
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Xboatboyx » 13 Jul 2018, 08:44

It does amaze me that these high end dealers cannot be bothered to help or respond to customers. Its no wonder they go bust and I see Gibbs have changed their name again :roll:

I think most dealers offer a low trade value as they just can't risk having the boat sit around for months. Might be worth asking Idealboats as they seem to get a lot of stock through so people must trading in boats to buy the big chapparals?

If buying from a dealer doesn't work then maybe its worth wandering round marinas seeing if anyone wants to sell direct to you? Although this still leaves you with the Monterey to sell on.
Regal 2250 - 350mag Mercruiser
User avatar
Xboatboyx
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Location: Thames, Poole, Southampton, wherever

by mlines » 13 Jul 2018, 08:56

Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Xboatboyx » 13 Jul 2018, 09:01

Driver looks dodgy :)
Regal 2250 - 350mag Mercruiser
User avatar
Xboatboyx
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Location: Thames, Poole, Southampton, wherever

by argonaut » 13 Jul 2018, 12:31

Xboatboyx wrote:It does amaze me that these high end dealers cannot be bothered to help or respond to customers. Its no wonder they go bust and I see Gibbs have changed their name again :roll:

I think most dealers offer a low trade value as they just can't risk having the boat sit around for months. Might be worth asking Idealboats as they seem to get a lot of stock through so people must trading in boats to buy the big chapparals?

If buying from a dealer doesn't work then maybe its worth wandering round marinas seeing if anyone wants to sell direct to you? Although this still leaves you with the Monterey to sell on.

I had been talking to Ideal Boats ... though the rate Chaparral dealers go bust in Pwhelli is worrying ... yet same sales guy arrives in each new company.
The 216 ssi was nice - ticked the boxes ... but just too high .. won't fit in boat shed.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by argonaut » 22 Jul 2018, 16:44

Went and had a good look at Glastron .... pretty enough.
Nice 4.5L 250. Motor.
Helm position & seat OK. .... but some things are odd ..
Port side hatch alongside engine has what seems a vey nice mesh basket liner to allow wet items to be stored to drain .... unfortunately directly beneath is the battery & relays ... do you really want salt water draining over these .?

Seats in bow are loose fitted, i.e, not hinged (Cost saving?)
Dash is very plasticky looking , looks like all bits are stuck on not fitted in. (But personal taste I guess)
Tower folds ... but when it folds it stays 18” above top rail of screen ..... too high.

Cockpit seating looks pretty, but did not seem to be substantial vinyl or foam.
Compared to what I have now, limited storage around Transom.

Another piece of silliness ... nice wide floor hatch, but when you open it, width tapers dramatically inside .... current boat can take skis & 2 kneeboards in hatch ... this won’t even take 1 kneeboard.

So I’ll pass on Glastron.

Now looking at a Regal 2000 ESX. 4.5L 250hp
Though trade-in being offered is abysmally low.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by ChrisH » 24 Jul 2018, 20:14

argonaut wrote:Went and had a good look at Glastron .... pretty enough.
[...]

Good luck in the search

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by argonaut » 24 Jul 2018, 22:19

Dealers seem to have little stock.
Been looking at
Marine Sales Scotland
Gibbs
Birchell
Shepherds
Bates Wharf
Ideal Boat
Hannah
Anybody got a dealer to add to list?
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

Previous