• Boat Banter

It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:02
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

Motor Boat Forum

trailer AGAIN

by ChrisH » 06 Jul 2018, 22:06

Zoom in as neededImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by lewlew100 » 06 Jul 2018, 22:14

That looks exactly right to me - thanks for showing. The winch height is slightly higher than the bow eye, an extended snubber stops any fouling at the towing eye connection and the foremost keel/bow roller is supporting, but not lifting the hull. I presume that the rollers out of site are all doing their bit to support. Geoff.
lewlew100
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

by Ianfs » 08 Jul 2018, 19:40

I think I'm a bit confused.

On my Roller Coaster the two arms which hold the main rollers swing and the winch has two bow rollers which adjust automatically when the bow is in situ, the winch strap feeds between the two rollers. When the boat rolls off the trailer the towing eye lowers as the boat rolls off.
DSC_0555a.jpg
DSC_0555a.jpg (293.45 KiB) Viewed 11924 times

With your new winch set up, you only have one winch roller which the winch strap goes over for recovery, so the fact that the winch is lower than this must be irellevant or are you saying the weight of the boat and the fact that the winch is lower have bent the winch roller brackets?
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by betty boop » 09 Jul 2018, 12:34

The winch was lower but now higher. Hence it pulled into the roller and ‘it’tried to lift the bow up - if I take that roller away boat hit trailer- badly ie no other up front support

New winch can’t go higher only lower defeating the change of post - but a minor adjustment is needed to clear the bow eye vs roller

First trial this weekend was no difference from before so not quite a wasted exercise but only half the problem fixed- she still pulls down into the roller it’s just easier to do it -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 09 Jul 2018, 14:14

When you roll your boat off the trailer, does the towing eye remain at the same height as the winch roller, go higher or go lower and same question when you're winching back on, is the towing eye higher or the same level as the winch roller or lower?

The winch height is slightly higher than the bow eye, an extended snubber stops any fouling at the towing eye connection and the foremost keel/bow roller is supporting, but not lifting the hull. I presume that the rollers out of site are all doing their bit to support. Geoff.

The reason I've asked, is because I think Geoff has explained what I was thinking but way better and much more straight forward than I.

So here's a thought, it may be stupid so forgive me and be gentle with me but would it be possible to find a welder first then cut the post which supports the winch in between the winch and the roller and angle it downwards. This would hopefully allow you to lift the winch yet again to maybe a height which will do what Geoff has suggested. Shall I get my hat now. :roll: :lol:
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by betty boop » 09 Jul 2018, 14:54

Ianfs wrote:When you roll your boat off the trailer, does the towing eye remain at the same height as the winch roller, go higher or go lower and same question when you're winching back on, is the towing eye higher or the same level as the winch roller or lower?

The winch height is slightly higher than the bow eye, an extended snubber stops any fouling at the towing eye connection and the foremost keel/bow roller is supporting, but not lifting the hull. I presume that the rollers out of site are all doing their bit to support. Geoff.

The reason I've asked, is because I think Geoff has explained what I was thinking but way better and much more straight forward than I.

So here's a thought, it may be stupid so forgive me and be gentle with me but would it be possible to find a welder first then cut the post which supports the winch in between the winch and the roller and angle it downwards. This would hopefully allow you to lift the winch yet again to maybe a height which will do what Geoff has suggested. Shall I get my hat now. :roll: :lol:

oh dear - get your hat young man...... a worthy suggestion if had it not been just purchased and with no g'teed results - sorry but keep the ideas coming. I'm fixed (not rolling ) on the idea of front supports. my attention is drawn to eBay and the rollers for sale but having seen this picture of Degraff trailers 2600kg model I'm thinking of the idea of moving the forward bunk set - forward. I cant quite see from my pictures at work but the deGraff trailer has its rollers far more forward than the SBS. My thinking being bring it forward (if I can) and the add if req. a set of single or double rollers into the space left over. Degraff sell those 4x roller units for £140.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (296.39 KiB) Viewed 11907 times
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 09 Jul 2018, 15:21

I've got my hat. :lol:

Degraff copy the Indespension design of the Super Roller Coaster. The thing is because they are swinging arms and yours is fixed, if you put a set of rollers in front, you would have to set them just right. Great idea but not sure if you mean one set of four along the keel. If so surely the V of the hull further forward rolling onto the rollers through the middle would interfere with the bar of the rollers?

Shall I get my hat again? :lol:
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by betty boop » 10 Jul 2018, 10:42

Ianfs wrote:I've got my hat. :lol:

Degraff copy the Indespension design of the Super Roller Coaster. The thing is because they are swinging arms and yours is fixed, if you put a set of rollers in front, you would have to set them just right. Great idea but not sure if you mean one set of four along the keel. If so surely the V of the hull further forward rolling onto the rollers through the middle would interfere with the bar of the rollers?

Shall I get my hat again? :lol:

no you're welcome to stay Ian - we'd miss you .

not quite - I mean adding a set of 4 rollers (per stem) on either side forward of midships so they line up either side of the chine rails, think I've said that right. Had a look at Google again searching twin axle roller trailers looking for Karnic or boston whalers shapes on rollers. What I seem to find in 70% of cases is the rollers are forward of the front axle more so than mine. If you recall my moaning of SBS quality a while ago it seems some of that should of been aimed at the set up of the trailer/dealer/package not necessarily SBS themselves and I'm wondering IF this shape of boat/hull should have been set up differently, with so many mistakes being made may be this is just another? Some examples on google have 3 sets of 8 rollers, some 2 sets front and back, some bunks go the full length of the hull- my rollers only support the rear 2/3 of the hull, leaving the front to be unsupported or very little support from crushed rubber/bent spindle V keel rollers.

Geoff will read with a smile that moving the front bent snub roller back is on the cards also but my biggest concern is support and damage I risk causing to myself or the boat by the lack of it upfront. decision time dawns :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 10 Jul 2018, 15:12

Thanks Ian.

So here's the bit which has been puzzling me. I've just spent a while searching your posts for when you bought Equinox to see if there is a better picture of your set up, (a good reason to post in Members Boats Forum... ahem :D ) and found this....
136065_-_photo_2_1467110878_big.jpg.png
136065_-_photo_2_1467110878_big.jpg.png (573.69 KiB) Viewed 11897 times

From your photos in the first post (now call me stupid) it looks as if there is only one set/group of rollers at the rear. In the photo above there appear to be two sets of rollers both fix supporting 2 thirds of the hull (basically most of the weight).

So from experience, with this amount of rollers, she should slide on and off nicely. Here's what I think.

The other day a local chap at Bucklers launched his Rib, it was at least 19ft and was on a nearly new roller trailer and the Rib only looked a couple of years old. He got to almost submersion, with the Rib and rollers out of the water, he unclipped the bow eye and expected it to just roll off nicely. He spent the next 10mins bouncing it off and with my help and another guy we managed to bounce it off. his rollers were well stuck. Now a couple of years ago mine were the same and it became harder and harder to recover the boat. I refirb'd all my rollers, including new Stainless Steel washers, split pins, bolts, lock nuts and roller sleeves etc. so they all roll easily and the roller arms pivot as the should.

Although we have launched and recovered many times since then and I have to say with absolute ease, when the boat went in the other day at a very shallow angle because the tide was high (long story at Bucklers), as soon as I released the winch strap she rolled back onto the safety line without resistance. Once started even at a shallow angle she rolled back without issue. On return she was no issue to recover.

So with the resisntance of the lower front bow roller and maybe the main sets of rollers, could this be a contributing facture to your problems?
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by Bigplumbs » 10 Jul 2018, 17:33

I know very little but what about roller bunks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLLER-BUNK- ... xycD9TViz9

Various sizes and I have seen them in action and they are good

Dennis
Bigplumbs
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

PreviousNext