• Boat Banter

It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:52
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 53 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 52 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 52 guests

Motor Boat Forum

trailer AGAIN

by betty boop » 11 Jul 2018, 08:17

the there was me worrying about roller bunks - as if I have a problem :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
_102464356_d2848af2-5420-4169-8a7d-ae07b24c4278.jpg
_102464356_d2848af2-5420-4169-8a7d-ae07b24c4278.jpg (138.75 KiB) Viewed 10267 times
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by betty boop » 11 Jul 2018, 08:46

Ianfs wrote:Thanks Ian.

So here's the bit which has been puzzling me. I've just spent a while searching your posts for when you bought Equinox to see if there is a better picture of your set up, (a good reason to post in Members Boats Forum... ahem :D ) and found this....
136065_-_photo_2_1467110878_big.jpg.png

From your photos in the first post (now call me stupid) it looks as if there is only one set/group of rollers at the rear. In the photo above there appear to be two sets of rollers both fix supporting 2 thirds of the hull (basically most of the weight).

So from experience, with this amount of rollers, she should slide on and off nicely. Here's what I think.

The other day a local chap at Bucklers launched his Rib, it was at least 19ft and was on a nearly new roller trailer and the Rib only looked a couple of years old. He got to almost submersion, with the Rib and rollers out of the water, he unclipped the bow eye and expected it to just roll off nicely. He spent the next 10mins bouncing it off and with my help and another guy we managed to bounce it off. his rollers were well stuck. Now a couple of years ago mine were the same and it became harder and harder to recover the boat. I refirb'd all my rollers, including new Stainless Steel washers, split pins, bolts, lock nuts and roller sleeves etc. so they all roll easily and the roller arms pivot as the should.

Although we have launched and recovered many times since then and I have to say with absolute ease, when the boat went in the other day at a very shallow angle because the tide was high (long story at Bucklers), as soon as I released the winch strap she rolled back onto the safety line without resistance. Once started even at a shallow angle she rolled back without issue. On return she was no issue to recover.

So with the resistance of the lower front bow roller and maybe the main sets of rollers, could this be a contributing facture to your problems?

2 sets of bunks either side - I think it must be the picture angle - camera never lies apparently :roll: good to find the picture though - thanks gives me a reference Id forgotten about as Ive been changing things and forget what was, blinded by what is. 2 set should be enough I agree but - and its a medium sized but she is a heavy bow'ed boat, carries a lot of weight up front and has quite an over hang too. I could be talking b'llks though- wouldn't be the first time.

Rusty rollers (as I call them) were an issue in month 1 - not so much the spindle to roller but spindle to frame angle. they all had to be loosened and oiled etc. All of the rollers turn freely, although in this picture she was only supported on one roller bunk (rear) . the other bunk wasn't doing much with rollers spinning with boat loaded. I've adjusted that now and it needs a new adjustment again as only 5 of 8 are each side are holding weight. (Remember this was used a yard trailer, never dipped in 8 years until we got her). another problem for me and the RIB guy I suspect, is the stepped hull. yes she rolls off about 1m but then drops onto the step and sticks as the step catches one of the middle keel rollers, very common on step hulls so I'm told and read. to get over that I've raised the back bunk to take the load off keel rollers with clearance but currently it is just not enough and still catches (but you can rock /bounce / drive it free, relatively easily) at some point I'll add some fancy wheels as per sportsboat.org.uk and the wonderful chap who posted his upgrade (who also does a great deal in cheap fenders :lol: :lol: )

Yesterday I ordered 2 sets of 4 rollers on stems from Degraff, via flee bay. £140 wasn't bad, SBS wanted a lot more plus fixings but in fairness they are a lot sturdier to look at so I hope mine will be up to the job. The plan is to either shift the middle bunk forward and fill the gap, but not sure that will work with the angles involved, or to add to the front each side and raise both new and middle bunks to create an inch of lift to the bow taking her off any keel rollers. stage 3 will be to add polyurethane rollers instead of crushed rubber or add a one piece carpet/UPVC keel support in place of keel rollers if they still give me grief. Oh and keep Geoff happy by pulling back the front lower snub roller - ( just kidding G ;) )

not sure any of that will work but watch this space for boat falling off trailers or crush owners in the news :oops: :o ;)
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by betty boop » 11 Jul 2018, 08:50

Bigplumbs wrote:I know very little but what about roller bunks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLLER-BUNK- ... xycD9TViz9

Various sizes and I have seen them in action and they are good

Dennis

thanks Dennis - I got something very similar just smaller from a similar place, fingers crossed the are OK as with most things Ebay I seem to find its a gamble they look the same as the picutes
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 11 Jul 2018, 12:30

another problem for me and the RIB guy I suspect, is the stepped hull.

The guy I mentioned with the rib who had a problem launching, the hull wasn't stepped. The problem he had was the rollers were not revolving freely with the rib on the trailer. They did turn when the rib was off but it looked like the nylon bushes inside the rollers which run against the metal shafts were not lubricated enough so the when weight was on them they were very stiff. I greased all mine with Quicksilver 2-4-C so the grease didn't get washed away.

Now I'm sure there must be a step there somewhere but I can't see it in this picture so it must be underneath.

BB Boat.png
BB Boat.png (1.25 MiB) Viewed 10264 times

This Regal has almost the same set up as yours even down to the new winch post. :)

Regal 2250.jpg
Regal 2250.jpg (176.59 KiB) Viewed 10264 times

not so much the spindle to roller but spindle to frame angle. they all had to be loosened and oiled etc. All of the rollers turn freely, although in this picture she was only supported on one roller bunk (rear) . the other bunk wasn't doing much with rollers spinning with boat loaded. I've adjusted that now and it needs a new adjustment again as only 5 of 8 are each side are holding weight. (Remember this was used a yard trailer, never dipped in 8 years until we got her). another problem for me and the RIB guy I suspect, is the stepped hull. yes she rolls off about 1m but then drops onto the step and sticks as the step catches one of the middle keel rollers, very common on step hulls so I'm told and read. to get over that I've raised the back bunk to take the load off keel rollers with clearance but currently it is just not enough and still catches (but you can rock /bounce / drive it free, relatively easily) at some point I'll add some fancy wheels as per sportsboat.org.uk and the wonderful chap who posted his upgrade (who also does a great deal in cheap fenders

I think from what you have said that because you don't have swinging arms, the rollers wont naturally balance themselves and as you've said that some of the rollers were not engaged properly this I think is the problem. Coupled perhaps with maybe a little stiffness in the rollers themselves and then that the main roller sets are not lifting the keel with the right amount of height so it sits only just on the keel rollers, the amount of drag you have might be the issue.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by betty boop » 12 Jul 2018, 11:42

rollers are due to arrive today which is great over night service from Degraff, not that I'm in a rush particularly. A few of you have said about moving the winch arm. so I've had another brain wave idea (yes 2 in a week) - Some big US trailers on google have the winch located on the post itself and a few have it vertical. I wont have the right sized u bolts for this but I'm thinking for mounting the winch at the top of that new A frame post, then I can lower the snub roller/arm a little. the effect being to pull up not down as she approached the 'on trailer' position. _ I also need to weigh the hitch possibly push her back to achieve a better hitch/ball weight ratio.

Given the winch has no guides etc to take the strain or feed this way markings do you think it would work to have the winch wind up/in/out etc. from the top (as it sits now)? just a bit concerned on the pulling up on the spindle than down may weaken the workings of the winch etc. If that worked it would give another 6/8 inches at least of height or move if I make it a left handed handle.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 13 Jul 2018, 15:43

Given the winch has no guides etc to take the strain or feed this way markings do you think it would work to have the winch wind up/in/out etc. from the top (as it sits now)? just a bit concerned on the pulling up on the spindle than down may weaken the workings of the winch etc. If that worked it would give another 6/8 inches at least of height or move if I make it a left handed handle.

That seems like a lot of faf Ian. I still maintain the main blocks of rollers are not high enough and are dropping the keel to low causing too much friction on the keel rollers.

However taking the winch off the roller stem I think might be a good idea, but instead of turning it around and mounting it differently why not get a plate welded to the top of the post (OK there may be some cutting to square off the posts for the weld) then just bolt the winch to it.
Equinox Trailer.jpg
Equinox Trailer.jpg (62.28 KiB) Viewed 10256 times

Oh and I took some photos yesterday of a stepped hull boat on its trailer with larger wheels like James and Martin have. But these seem to be bolted the groups of rollers, easy fix! :)

Stepped Hull Trailer.JPG
Stepped Hull Trailer.JPG (594.7 KiB) Viewed 10256 times

Stepped Hull Trailer2.JPG
Stepped Hull Trailer2.JPG (368.63 KiB) Viewed 10256 times

Stepped Hull Trailer3.JPG
Stepped Hull Trailer3.JPG (664.67 KiB) Viewed 10256 times
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by betty boop » 17 Jul 2018, 13:13

Welding is a good idea Ian, I was close to (home) welding a plate (the left trailer step) onto the winch post on Saturday, but being shiney and new I didn't want to mess that up with my poor welding. strength is foremost a concern and I'm not sure it would have held. Bolting was an option but in 32 deg heat I didn't fancy drilling through 15mm of steel - twice for each bolt so gave that up for another day.

Luckily I had 2 u bolt of the correct width so now have a left step going spare if I need a winch plate to make up as required to take it to a welder but I'm happy with these result so far. a plate would be higher but only just and to be fair I'm not sure the cost is worth the benefit - but proof will be in the launching.

New rollers fitted, - recommended as the quality was definitely worth the price £140 the set inc. del. I had trouble lifting the boat off the trailer without lifting the trailer as well so rolled her back slightly jacked up as much as possible and secured rollers. the then raised the set of 4 rollers in the middle. Winch arm lowered to clear the eye fixing, and post forward to meet the hull. The snub roller is now redundant just hand pressure tight against the keel to stop any forward motion on the road etc. that meant the spare wheel was homeless so 2 U bolts later is now mounted on the side frame. Rolling her back up was a lot easier but still a struggle, with her clearing the front keel rollers, some readjustment is still needed on the next launch to raise the 4 set rollers about an inch for added clearance and due to bad fitting I will probably need some of the ebay barrow wheels as some rollers do not touch the hull due to curves and what not.

Next job will be for 2 steps to be u bolted to the upright of the winch post so I can climb on the front easily. they seem popular in the US but ot seen any over here but it shouldn't be to hard to pick up a steel bar and plate drilled to simply fix it on as and when.
Attachments
IMG_2762.JPG
IMG_2762.JPG (141.84 KiB) Viewed 10235 times
IMG_2761.JPG
IMG_2761.JPG (104.46 KiB) Viewed 10235 times
IMG_2760.JPG
IMG_2760.JPG (117.48 KiB) Viewed 10235 times
IMG_2759.JPG
IMG_2759.JPG (140.69 KiB) Viewed 10235 times
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero