  • In total there are 6 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests

Motor Boat Forum

latest update on this story

by betty boop » 04 Jul 2018, 08:15

not sure if this is picked up locally but we've discussed before. I'm still at odds with the law and police doing nothing to prevent the accident on the night but charging the owner with manslaughter,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44703019
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by betty boop » 28 Jul 2018, 10:22

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-44978593/charlotte-brown-first-date-speedboat-owner-describes-crash

May be you are following this story but the last update I guess. Very sad indeed. not decrying the incident or the seriousness of the situation but the reporting of this incident and others such as the RAF airman missing in Suffolk makes me think Sir Cliff deserves all he will get from the BBC. there are plenty of men my kids included that would buy a speed boat to 'pull a bird' but this guy is ripped apart for for it like he is some kind of animal. The speed and stupidity aside we have all done yet he is turned on by the pack of wolves called the media, in this case the BBC. The stupidest comment from the witness - 'he only called help me, not her' is ridiculous, he could be the most caring person in the world or the most selfish I dont know but that reaction I would expect as self preservation in a shock situation - unless given time to think or in a safe situation I'd probably say the same thing.

If you havent followed the airman story I found out this week that the 'papers' and TV had been through his 'sexual' habits and it that part of the story on why he went missing. What the hell has that got to do with being a missing serviceman? dont find him cos he may be gay, bi or otherwise? again ridiculous. Those that judge us all have an unfair and ironic ability to preach on how we should act and live but do the same themselves, whilst preaching how they need freedom of the press to say what they want. - Im working with an ex journalist at the moment who covered the war in Bosnia may have a word with him on Monday.

Personally Im really confused by this one, every 20 something Ive ever met has done something wrong, stupid and un thinking, I'd hate to see my kids suffer from something or someones actions like that. But Im not sure his sentence of manslaughter will reflect the affect the act. May be the boating law and every other law needs to be changed and wrap everyone up on cotton wool until they are 50? but then again even at 50 Ive seen idilts in boats and heard about them killing their family's in accidents.

Anyway Rant over, poor family and poor girl and a sad story.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Bigplumbs » 31 Jul 2018, 17:23

betty boop wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-44978593/charlotte-brown-first-date-speedboat-owner-describes-crash

[...]

I rather agree with all that you have said there Ian
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Ianfs » 01 Aug 2018, 09:00

I think a lot of journalists/newspapers/TV news programmes have become so addicted to ratings/approvals/readership lately that they add their opinion (whether its right or wrong) to a story and dig out any piece of dirt they can , which in turn is influential to the readers/watchers.

by ColinR » 01 Aug 2018, 13:44

It's a difficult one and I'm trying to agree with myself as to what I think.

Firstly he was an idiot taking out the boat at night whilst drunk.

Secondly he should not have handed control over to an inexperienced, and drunk? passenger.

Both of which deserve a reprimand but manslaughter? Not so sure.

I think where he has done himself no favours is skipping bail and going on the run. He's just set himself up for the baying press.
User avatar
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

Location: Hampshire, England

by betty boop » 03 Aug 2018, 08:59

ColinR wrote:It's a difficult one and I'm trying to agree with myself as to what I think.

Firstly he was an idiot taking out the boat at night whilst drunk.

Secondly he should not have handed control over to an inexperienced, and drunk? passenger.

Both of which deserve a reprimand but manslaughter? Not so sure.

I think where he has done himself no favours is skipping bail and going on the run. He's just set himself up for the baying press.

totally agree, another thing that gets me boiling these days (may be it is getting old and experienced more) is the role of the press and police. Sir Cliff - guilty or not he shouldn't have been subject to police and press simultaneous joint investigation, likewise the 'idiots' video statement to police on buying a boat for pulling birds shouldn't have been released to make news. Knowing a fair few coppers I know the tricks they use to get a confession and the like, 'tell us what happened son' whilst you are under caution etc.

RE boating - I don't see a law change coming anytime with Gvt too busy arguing over Brexit but one day it will come by stealth and the raggies will have anything with a petrol tank BANNED OR RESTRICTED. Dennis and Geoff will be able to start a museum with their respected collections of petrol engine vessels to show kids what it used to be like having fun without the nanny state banning all forms of non taxable enjoyment :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by lewlew100 » 03 Aug 2018, 16:25

Sadly Ian (BB) Nobodies boat engines are giving lower emissions than mine!!! - BUT - just wait till I get that fast fisher finished with its 125HP 2 smoke. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02