  • In total there are 62 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 62 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests

Motor Boat Forum

worst marina 2018 award goes to.....

by betty boop » 26 Jun 2018, 09:36

the Fish and Duck in Stretham Cambridgeshire.

Although a small marina so this isn't a stay away note I'm to the point of angry just because I hate peoples attitudes.

this particular marina had a major refit some 5 years ago after a dock crane collapsed so instead they built a really nice slipway. Nice fancy signage and PR so you'd expect a welcoming? - HA. First off the charges - usually up here £6 to launch - some charge for parking other don't. (remember this isn't the south coast) - £20 to launch - OK I'll suck that one up. £10 a night to 3 night so Mrs BB can enjoy time on board alone with the dog whilst I go back to work. - reasonable.

to set the scene - this marina is 5 miles at least as the crow files from anything, the access road being 1- 2 mile at least, space is abundant being an old gravel quarry adjourning the River Gt Ouse with a empty camp site and boat store as well as parking for 60 cars+ So when they stuffed me £25 for 3 days parking I was gob smacked to say the least. But Mrs BB chose the marina and the time away from busy work so one stucks it up as one does - usually our boat weekends get expensive at £20 for incidentals such as the above. :lol:

But the final straw was I got a call saying the owner and manager has refused to allow her to shower unless she coughed up 3 times the usual rate for a shower token for being - 'a visitor' The shower is a 2 room mini portacabin 1 loo and 1 shower each m/f. no heating, usual flies spiders etc.. To say I'm fuming is an understatement luckily for him he's going to be off duty by the time I get there on weds night to recover the boat. 50p a shower is a laugh at best but £1.50 for cold shower in a field is taking the P's - when questioned as the website clear states - charges 50p for the shower token - she was told - quote' your a visitor so why shouldn't you pay more than the residents'.

Needless to say she is far from happy at the thought of being held to ransom to wash and told him to g stuff it where the sun wont shine :lol: - luckily a sympathetic cruiser owner bought tokens at 50p and sold them on at cost to get over the argument.

moral of the story is its not the price that p'sses people off its the attitude? we wont be going back and their facebook site will be plastered with bad reviews after I called the owners wife after I've recovered the boat tomorrow to drop him in the sh;t :lol: :lol: :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by MartynG » 26 Jun 2018, 20:13

Seems a bit pointless making individual charges for everything. They may as well charge you £20 a night and throw in the parking and use of showers .
On the other hand perhaps not everyone arrives or leaves by car..........or washes.
On the whole the charges you mention do not seem excessive - but if charged 50p for a shower would expect the water to be hot and the facilities clean. Don't really see the logic in charging visitors more - unless they don't really want any visitors in which case their tactics seem to have worked.

I googled maps and can't imagine it can hold enough boats to make a living .
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by ian h » 26 Jun 2018, 20:55

Clearly says on their website 50p for shower token.
Seems ok from photo's and as you say large parking area,

Says you can store Additional Vehicles: £12 / month / vehicle (no SORN permitted)
take it they not want visitors by how you describe

http://fishandduck.co.uk/services-facilities/
ian h

by Ianfs » 28 Jun 2018, 15:50

Reading this Ian I was thinking that the prices seem reasonable, compared to around here.

Bucklers Hard where we are is very very beautiful and has access to the Solent and Isle of Wight, so I checked the prices. An example visitors mooring fee for a 7m (not sure how big yours is but it must fit into 7m :mrgreen: )boat is about £73 for 3 nights but that is for a walk ashore berth, electric is £9, parking is £15 and the slip is £14. So at £111 it initially sound dear. Adding up your prices though I've got to about £80, so Bucklers Hard is £30 odd more than yours. On the other hand river pontoon mooring can be had for only £11.50 more than yours and they have electric as well if required. In addition they have the most amazing showers and toilet facilities now as they have just rebuilt the block with about 14 showers with toilets all individual, plus they have washing machines albeit they are a couple of pounds a time.

So if this marina is 5 miles from anywhere and on the river Cam, then it is very expensive, especially with cold showers etc.

by betty boop » 02 Jul 2018, 21:19

Ianfs wrote:Reading this Ian I was thinking that the prices seem reasonable, compared to around here.

[...]

yes Ian your quite right it wasn't the actual amount it was the attitude. even a tight a's like me will pay £1.50 shower once a month if i need it or not. BUT this isnt S'ton its far from it, prices are reasonable in places to reflect the demand and that not all of us are over paid or from Cambridge,

The comment re making a living is right too , it explains from the history why its had 'multiple owners since 2000 all struggling to make it work. Speaking to some locals they avoid it too through the attitude of the owners. In comparison to MDL Windsor there was no comparison. Those guys were super helpful, cheap and well worth recommending. £14 slipway inc 4 days parking in Windsor - cracking :-)
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Bigplumbs » 03 Jul 2018, 05:15

I agree that attitude makes a big difference. MDL at Brixham for example and not cheap but the people there are lovely in my opinion
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35