• Boat Banter

It is currently 18 May 2024, 13:04
  • In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Motor Boat Forum

URGENT - BUYING SOON. NEED ADVICE

by josh1 » 25 Jun 2018, 22:56

hi all, relatively new to boating. im buying a project boat tomorrow as long as the add was honest and was wondering if anyone could please try to identify it? (pic is attached as JPG file, click on it to view it) it is up for £100 with steering hooked up ready to put an outboard on and comes with throttle and cables as well as a trailer with one new tyre. this seems almost too good to be true thanks in advance,
josh
Attachments
boat.jpg
boat.jpg (32.18 KiB) Viewed 13271 times
josh1
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 22:50
Location: plymouth, devon, england

by Ianfs » 26 Jun 2018, 07:29

Hi Josh

It looks like an old Shakespeare. There used to be a website with the history of Shakespeare boats but I can't seem to find it sorry, must have gone off the air.

It must be worth £100 regardless, unless of course the hull is totally shot to pieces.

Good luck.

by shibbs » 26 Jun 2018, 15:16

I would imagine if it has sat there without a cover on it will be rotten inside personally in which case it then becomes one hell of a project and probably not financially viable? Obviously dependant on how long sat there etc..
Saying that, if the trailer is in useable condition that would probably be worth the £100.

by josh1 » 26 Jun 2018, 21:23

thanks for the replies, i did buy the boat and the trailer is a home made with the axel presumably from an ole robbin relliant with the diff still attached as well as no brakes and no jockey wheel. it weight A TON to lift onto tow bar haha but finally got it home and have given it a good scrub. not bad hull condition at all. the guy who sold it gave me all the gell coat etc needed as he gets it for free from his work (princess yachts). do you think a 20 hp would be enough to get it up to about 20 knots with two passengers?
cant be to bad for a first proper boat being 17 y/o on minimum wage............
josh1
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 22:50
Location: plymouth, devon, england

by argonaut » 26 Jun 2018, 21:51

20hp is too small .
Min would be a 50 on that.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by mlines » 27 Jun 2018, 06:21

Check the transom, two reasons:

1. There might be a plate on it stating the maximum rated power that the transom will take.

2. It could be rotten and need repairing

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Ianfs » 27 Jun 2018, 11:21

20hp is too small .Min would be a 50 on that.

+1

Check the transom, two reasons:

1. There might be a plate on it stating the maximum rated power that the transom will take.

2. It could be rotten and need repairing

+1

by lewlew100 » 27 Jun 2018, 17:23

17 years old and on min wage. welcome to the path to stay poor (boat ownership). Your project will be a lot of fun and hard work, but with lots of elbow grease I am sure you will get there. The comments about ensuring that the transom is solid is very important and if you want the boat to perform well as has already been said 20HP is not enough. I would guess that you are close to the Plymouth area (Princess yachts) and with 20hp you could have some nice days out in the sound using the boat as a runabout, but to get the boat to plane well with 2 people and gear on board you will need at least 40 hp (an old ex RNLI Evinrude 2t may fit the bill and your limited budget). Good luck with whatever you decide and don't let anyone dampen your enthusiasm. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by lewlew100 » 27 Jun 2018, 18:08

I know that your budget is tight, but if you do manage to get afloat please make the effort to beg, borrow or steal lifejackets and an anchor with sufficient chain/rope. That is not meant to be a list of minimum equipment - I realize that you will not have radio, but at 17 you will already be far more conversant with a mobile phone than I am!!! Good luck and enjoy your first foray into boating. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by argonaut » 27 Jun 2018, 20:35

Maybe I missed it ... but also do not forget insurance - you need cover ... not worried about you losing your boat ... boat 3rd party damage & injury to persons.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

Next