  • In total there are 47 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 46 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 46 guests

Motor Boat Forum

URGENT - BUYING SOON. NEED ADVICE

by josh1 » 28 Jun 2018, 23:41

lewlew100 wrote:I know that your budget is tight, but if you do manage to get afloat please make the effort to beg, borrow or steal lifejackets and an anchor with sufficient chain/rope. That is not meant to be a list of minimum equipment - I realize that you will not have radio, but at 17 you will already be far more conversant with a mobile phone than I am!!! Good luck and enjoy your first foray into boating. Geoff.

Don't worry. i already have pfd's that i was using on my little 10 ft dinghy with a 5hp air cooled 2 stroke 51cc that brakes down every 20 seconds and drinks 4l of fuel an hour hahaha, im considering installing an i/o engine as i have a qualification in light vehicle maintinance and repair, if i go this route, any suggestions on an engine to choose. i know its a big job but may beworth it. trandsom is solid but when cleaning it one patch of gellcoat came off where they clearly hadnt used hardner and revealed a large repair, about 12'' by 18'' on the starboard side of the bow. the trailer is made worryingly unsecurely so will be needing reinforcing as it bends with the weight and is a homemade made from a robin reliant axel and some thin angle iron :/ luckily i have a welder and some spare tube steel. could you suggest a type and/or wight of anchor for use around tamar river and plymouth sound, unsure of the botom type.
josh1
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 22:50
Location: plymouth, devon, england

by josh1 » 28 Jun 2018, 23:48

lewlew100 wrote:17 years old and on min wage. welcome to the path to stay poor (boat ownership). Your project will be a lot of fun and hard work, but with lots of elbow grease I am sure you will get there. The comments about ensuring that the transom is solid is very important and if you want the boat to perform well as has already been said 20HP is not enough. I would guess that you are close to the Plymouth area (Princess yachts) and with 20hp you could have some nice days out in the sound using the boat as a runabout, but to get the boat to plane well with 2 people and gear on board you will need at least 40 hp (an old ex RNLI Evinrude 2t may fit the bill and your limited budget). Good luck with whatever you decide and don't let anyone dampen your enthusiasm. Geoff.

thanks for the reply. budget may be even more limited soon due to ''job complictions'' haha. lets hope i dont have to use the bilge pump i got for free...
josh1
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 22:50
Location: plymouth, devon, england

by Ianfs » 02 Jul 2018, 09:21

im considering installing an i/o engine as i have a qualification in light vehicle maintenance and repair,

Don't even think about installing a stern drive engine, to start with the weight in a small boat like that would probably sink her, let alone the cost to a young lad on minimum wage. :D

You could always make a Youtube video of your progress in re-vitalising the boat and trailer. You may even be able to raise some money through crowd funding, you know like have a Patreon account.
A 17yr old with his first boat and the renovation process, might catch on with a few people and provide enough cash for a nice 50-60hp outboard. :)

by josh1 » 06 Jul 2018, 09:13

just an update - bought a drain plug that actually fits, hooked up the steering pulleys, resprayed the accelerator, got my 5.hp working just to get it up to the mooring and have sanded it ready for the gellcoat which im gonna do on Monday. really don't like the baby blue that is on the bow and along the waterline so any suggestions on what colour to do it? also, i need a name for her, once again, any suggestions?
josh1
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 22:50
Location: plymouth, devon, england

by Ianfs » 06 Jul 2018, 13:38

No ideas for a name Josh, but is your mooring in salt water?

by josh1 » 08 Jul 2018, 23:26

Ianfs wrote:No ideas for a name Josh, but is your mooring in salt water?

yeah, its in tidal so kinda salt and brackish. will this affect anything except the usual flush out the engine etc?
josh1
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 22:50
Location: plymouth, devon, england

by Ianfs » 09 Jul 2018, 11:53

Seems a shame but you'll have to anti foul the hull.

by josh1 » 09 Jul 2018, 22:10

Ianfs wrote:Seems a shame but you'll have to anti foul the hull.

how would I go about that?
josh1
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 22:50
Location: plymouth, devon, england

by Ianfs » 10 Jul 2018, 05:29

You would probably be able to tip that boat on its side, then ready the gel coat I.e. toughen it, then paint with anti foul. :)

Previous