• Boat Banter

It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:48
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 70 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 70 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 70 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Next years London Boat Show cancelled!

by Ianfs » 21 May 2018, 11:08

http://exhibitionnews.uk/london-boat-show-2019-cancelled/

Lack of interest from exhibitors it would seem.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by ColinR » 21 May 2018, 11:13

Must admit the last couple of times I've been it was very quiet and lacking in content so I'm not surprised.
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

by ChrisH » 21 May 2018, 18:56

Don't know what James' view is but a few brokers I've spoken with the last few months they say stock wise things are quiet. Perhaps due to a lack if new boat sales?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by ChrisH » 21 May 2018, 18:58

I would have gone last year but the only weekend it was on I couldn't make it. So they lost my business by cutting down the length of the show.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by Xboatboyx » 21 May 2018, 20:37

We stopped exhibiting at London a few years back as we just weren't getting anything out of it and exhibiting costs just don't make it viable. Instead i think brokers would rather throw money towards Southampton or concentrate on making their own boat shows, most marinas now put on their own show. As a visitor I will miss London as it was always a nice day out in a cold January and it starts to get you in the mood for the season ahead but i can't see who wants to buy boats then.
Regal 2250 - 350mag Mercruiser
Xboatboyx
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

by Bigplumbs » 22 May 2018, 05:03

I will miss it also for the joy of attending in cold January and as others have said it starts you thinking about the season ahead
Bigplumbs
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by Ianfs » 22 May 2018, 07:16

I completely agree James I think you are right.

I can remember when it was at Olympia then it almost doubled in size and moved to Earls Court, which was still much smaller than Excel. In fact in the very early days my family and I used to visit regularly and I can remember as a lad, dad wanted to buy a bigger boat something around 35' and the biggest yacht there was about 38'. :? It was more of a average peoples show with lots of dinghy's and small cruisers, with loads of chandlers. Back then it was the only way to look for anything boat related under the one roof.
Nobody except dinghy or launch builders seem to make small affordable boats any more, so I feel the Excel show is more for millionaires rather then the common man.

Also today with the internet it is so easy to look for anything you want and because camera's, pictures and screens have improved immensly, it is so easy to find boats and parts.

We still like to touch and look at the real thing and as James said it can be easily done at Southampton and independantly as well.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by MartynG » 03 Jun 2018, 08:40

I think exhibitors should not be disappointed if they don't sell much at the show.
A couple of years ago I went to view a dinghy but ordered it later online as it would have been delivered anyway and the price was no different.
I did the same with booking a sailing holiday this year , as we could not have committed to dates at the show.

It's a great shame the London Boat Show has gone.

I don't know anyone personally who has bought a brand new boat. However I am thankful to those who do so and keep them in near new condition for about 10 years until they become more affordable.
MartynG
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

by lewlew100 » 03 Jun 2018, 20:46

I agree with the captain!!! Back in the sixties/seventies and even the eighties boat shows had far more of the smaller, less expensive boats and most of the UK manufacturers did not even build the really expensive models. Companies like Fairline, Sealine and Sunseeker for example - and look what has happened to those companies in the meantime - I am referring to closures, receivership, management buyouts and bailout takeovers. As with the motor industry, brand loyalty has disappeared and the idea of "trading up" to the next model just seems not to happen anymore. During my boating life, I have been able to buy several brand new boats, some ordered at the boat show (the first was a 19' Loftus Bennet hull and superstructure for self fit out then a Beaves Marine Europa 4, a Shetland 570 and then my first Fairline, a Weekend, followed by my beloved Carrera. Any hope of ever buying a new Fairline today would just be a pipe dream and in any case being a devout "trailer sailor""I would not even want one, even if I won the lottery (most unlikely as I never buy a ticket). It at does seem to me that the "new" boat market is no longer very interested in encouraging average working/middleclass customers. Hence the fact that I do seem to be gathering up the old Carreras - as Ian (BB) said - sad isn't it!!! Geoff.
lewlew100
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

by betty boop » 09 Jun 2018, 17:19

lewlew100 wrote:I agree with the captain!!! Back in the sixties/seventies and even the eighties boat shows had far more of the smaller, less expensive boats and most of the UK manufacturers did not even build the really expensive models. Companies like Fairline, Sealine and Sunseeker for example - and look what has happened to those companies in the meantime - I am referring to closures, receivership, management buyouts and bailout takeovers. As with the motor industry, brand loyalty has disappeared and the idea of "trading up" to the next model just seems not to happen anymore. During my boating life, I have been able to buy several brand new boats, some ordered at the boat show (the first was a 19' Loftus Bennet hull and superstructure for self fit out then a Beaves Marine Europa 4, a Shetland 570 and then my first Fairline, a Weekend, followed by my beloved Carrera. Any hope of ever buying a new Fairline today would just be a pipe dream and in any case being a devout "trailer sailor""I would not even want one, even if I won the lottery (most unlikely as I never buy a ticket). It at does seem to me that the "new" boat market is no longer very interested in encouraging average working/middleclass customers. Hence the fact that I do seem to be gathering up the old Carreras - as Ian (BB) said - sad isn't it!!! Geoff.

Ah Geoff I would have thought if you stopped buying 2nd hand Carrera's you could afford a new boat :-) You have a point on the show, Ive been saying for years its glory days have gone, worth a trip for a day out but thats it. Excel is a great venue but as with most things from the Arab world bigger is not necessary better, after 2005 the show shrunk and shrunk again as it became repetitive and mundane. Which is a shame as I really liked it but in the end theres only so many plastic white boats you can look at. they even stopped visitor boats coming and Docklands in Winter can be the most in hospitable place going - 2nd only to the fens lands in lincolnshire
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

Return to Motor Boat Forum

User Menu