  • In total there are 69 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 69 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 69 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Auto reverse brakes issue

by Bigplumbs » 05 Jun 2018, 05:25

It is time you did something positive that you know will work as the amount of time you are spending is getting silly. I would either make and fit a device to stop the compression at the front end (like we all had in the old days) and just use this for your drive or convert the hubs to knott brakes, failing this buy a new axle that has knott brakes.

I just towed mine 700 miles round trip and all work as designed

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by argonaut » 05 Jun 2018, 18:38

The issue with new axle approach is I need 2

At £843 each that is a lot of money .... £1686. Then a whole load of bolts, u-clamps etc.
Would be a consideration to buy a new trailer instead.

Have booked it into Indespension next week ...
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by argonaut » 10 Jun 2018, 18:56

Observation
Today when putting boat away .... the boat is on my drive handbrake applied - brakes hold fine it does not roll fwd.

Then hook up winch to pull it into boat shed ..... inadvertently I left hand brake on .... winch puled in fine, no extra load .... so from that point of view - with handbrake applying brakes it 'appears' auto reverse does work.

Now handbrake is in 90 degree position/ 12 o'clock when applied (as it should be) .... but it did not move backwards to 2 o'clock as it is supposed to ... but that could just be the ES spring unit is weakening.

This may reinforce the 'thinking' the coupling being at fault and over-driving the brakes.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 11 Jun 2018, 09:59

Now handbrake is in 90 degree position/ 12 o'clock when applied (as it should be) .... but it did not move backwards to 2 o'clock as it is supposed to .

Interesting.

.. but that could just be the ES spring unit is weakening.

Could be, but when you tighten or release the handbrake does it feel weak?

I would still try to pull the draw shaft backwards with something attached to the tow hitch to see how far it travels before engaging the brakes. This would give you a fair indication of the situation.

Having said that, isn't it going into Indespension this week anyway, so they'll check it anyway.

Best of luck sir. :)

by argonaut » 11 Jun 2018, 17:05

It is going in Friday.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by argonaut » 15 Jun 2018, 19:54

OK ... trailer booked in, 100 mile round trip.

It was with them all day .... you asked for update on what the cause was.
They checked damper & coupling - no fault.
Checked my set up of brake shoes - all fine.
Checked set up of rods & Bowden cables all fine.
Then stripped all 4 hubs, all assembled as should be ...

Final result - they have no idea what is causing this, and unable to resolve.
They did involve Indespension HQ .. nothing new suggested.

They are going to ask other Indespension outlets see if anyone else has had similar issue.
Good that my mechanical skills were not the cause ... but annoying no resolution.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by shibbs » 15 Jun 2018, 21:28

I feel for you with this one! Nothing more frustrating that not being able to find the solution, more so when the ‘proffesionals’ can’t either.
Had no input so far as I simply have no more to add than what you clearly already know!
What’s your next plan of attack.. live with it and carry on enjoying the summer?
Shame it didn’t get resolved though, at least it wasn’t user error on the bright side.. :?

by argonaut » 15 Jun 2018, 21:48

Still using boat ... lucky some may remember I posted details of my winch project .... so at least I have winch to pull boat up the drive.
I’ll give Indespension a week to see if they come up with anything, if not then I will look to add a drop in ‘ clip’ to prevent brakes applying when reversing ( as in older hitches)
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 16 Jun 2018, 00:19

Oh my flipping goodness, I'm with Shibbs on this one, I'm feeling for you right now, it's kind of, if the professionals can't sort it, who can? However as you say Rick, at least your engineering skills remain unscathed.

I wonder if later Indespension boat trailers are so finely tuned that their new trailers are such that the shoes maybe slightly worn and therefore systems wear down,

by argonaut » 16 Jun 2018, 09:25

It could be drum wear ... there is about 3mm wear ... so 6mm off diameter on the wear area.
I did turn off the front lip to make sure shoes don’t t catch ... but did not machine off any of wear area. This was a season ago ... and brakes worked fine all last year.

Now that wear in itself should not be an issue ... as long as adjuster allows shoes to adjust to correct setting, which it does.

It ‘could’ be that this makes shoes work at a different angle on auto-reverse cams, maybe (just a thought) this is causing them to not disengage when partly worn shoes.
There is plenty of material left on shoes, so they wouldn’t be a considered change choice.
‘But’ coupled with wear on drums ... ‘maybe’
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

PreviousNext