  • In total there are 45 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Pre-season work

by argonaut » 06 Apr 2018, 22:36

Last week - Usual pre-season jobs ... remove wheel bearings , wash out, repack with grease, clean hubs, reassemble, adjust brakes (difficult with Al-Ko brakes on Super Roller Coaster trailers)
De-winterise engine this weekend, refit Tower, refit polished prop & battery.. wash & polish hull... ready to go for end of April.

My driver & fellow water sports buddy wont get wet any earlier.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Bigplumbs » 07 Apr 2018, 06:38

You are making me feel guilty as I haven't done a thing yet. Weather has been so bad and I am still a little worried about kicking the antifreeze out of here till I see the sun proper. I am of course looking forward (not) to laying underneath her and putting on the Anti foul.

I have 6 to get ready but 4 are 2 stroke outboards on trailers and they don't need much doing

Off to the new purchase (The S24) to rig up the TV ariel today

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by argonaut » 07 Apr 2018, 09:32

No anti-freeze in mine :-)
Run it in Anti-freeze, as part of winterising .. but then fully drain down.

I tow mine, so no need for anti- foul, not a job I’d like .... also having a fully polished gel coat, never liked the rough finish seen on some anti-fouling, must cause a lot of drag.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by shibbs » 07 Apr 2018, 13:59

argonaut wrote:No anti-freeze in mine :-)
Run it in Anti-freeze, as part of winterising .. but then fully drain down.

I tow mine, so no need for anti- foul, not a job I’d like .... also having a fully polished gel coat, never liked the rough finish seen on some anti-fouling, must cause a lot of drag.

It certainly makes a difference and given the choice I wouldn’t but needs must. Much envy for those who don’t have to bother.
Short of trying to reach that nut or bolt you drop into the furthest most unreachable corner of the engine bay, anti fouling is the worst part of owning a boat!!! :lol:
I’m busy doing pre season preps now. Running up engine, deep clean, polish, few odd jobs that the winter prevented and of course painting!

by shibbs » 07 Apr 2018, 14:00

argonaut wrote:No anti-freeze in mine :-)
Run it in Anti-freeze, as part of winterising .. but then fully drain down.

I tow mine, so no need for anti- foul, not a job I’d like .... also having a fully polished gel coat, never liked the rough finish seen on some anti-fouling, must cause a lot of drag.

It certainly makes a difference and given the choice I wouldn’t but needs must. Much envy for those who don’t have to bother.
Short of trying to reach that nut or bolt you drop into the furthest most unreachable corner of the engine bay, anti fouling is the worst part of owning a boat!!! :lol:
I’m busy doing pre season preps now. Running up engine, deep clean, polish, few odd jobs that the winter prevented and of course painting!

by argonaut » 07 Apr 2018, 17:06

Mate of mine had a couple of towed boats ... went up a size, marina berth ... found the costs escalated .... paying to lift boat out for anti-fouling, time & cost to anti-foul.
Annual berthing charge, boat becoming damp & mouldy due to having to put covers on before fully dry. So much so after 3 yrs gave up all together.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by argonaut » 07 Apr 2018, 17:17

Just an observation from personal use.

I changed my polish a couple of years ago .. was using Collinite fleetwax, now that is a good product .. but needs prep first with Gelcoat cleaner, and physically hard work to buff off the wax.

I found via a US forum a review on Maguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax. .. if your boat is in good condition, this gives incredible shine, and months on protection ... and is simple to apply and wipe off.

If your boat is not in showroom condition, you would probably need to use a polish first to restore gloss to Gellcoat.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by ChrisH » 07 Apr 2018, 19:04

argonaut wrote:Just an observation from personal use.

I changed my polish a couple of years ago .. was using Collinite fleetwax, now that is a good product .. but needs prep first with Gelcoat cleaner, and physically hard work to buff off the wax.

I found via a US forum a review on Maguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax. .. if your boat is in good condition, this gives incredible shine, and months on protection ... and is simple to apply and wipe off.

If your boat is not in showroom condition, you would probably need to use a polish first to restore gloss to Gellcoat.
I used the flagship premium wax. Amazing shine.. also this season I washed the Mariah and put the wax on with electric buffer without polishing first.. It had a very light polishing effect too and took out any black marks still left after the winter.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by betty boop » 07 Apr 2018, 19:34

Ive used magure auto wax for years and it was excellent - looks like i'll get some of this marine stuff now Ive run out. the spray on stuff im not keen on though only the pad waxy wax if that makes sense .

Yuk to anti foul - we trailer but the last owner/ selling agent re antifouled and its now flacking off badly, so I need to scrap of :x and repaint with a 2 coat epoxy or figure out what else to do other than re anti foul #nightmare

other than that Im with Dennis , havent done anything other than shop for bits and rub down the leg AGAIN to paint AGAIN :twisted:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by argonaut » 07 Apr 2018, 20:16

Meguiars product is a thick cream, goes on really easy .... and polishes off in seconds ... just wipes off.

Impressed on hull where it picks black scuff marks off trailer rollers ... they are hard to remove.
They just wipe off with Maguiars.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

Next