• Boat Banter

It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:25
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 66 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 66 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 66 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Boatless

by ChrisH » 10 May 2018, 06:27

mlines wrote:The Aircon could mean it's a personal import from the USA, check it has a CE plate and documentation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I did see the CE plate. Massive ugly thing.
Dan seems to think the aircon is a retrofit. But will check that out carefully too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by ChrisH » 11 May 2018, 15:38

ChrisH wrote:
Ianfs wrote:Hey Chris,

Great news, Maxum 2400 a great boat.

If its the 2000 just sold in Brighton with a new 2017 engine block, I suppose the question is, is it a brand new block (maybe because of freeze damage) or is it a reconditioned block?
Then the question arises, was it a short block and were all the other components re-used?
Yep. The one with the beige canopy.
I'm waiting to see the paperwork for the new block and also the new outdrive. Looks like all previous ancillary stuff was reattached. Tompa will give her a good going over. If it is a brand new block and out drive then could be a big plus. But let's see.

Confirmed it has a brand new block, manifolds ,gimbal bearing and transom shield. Sounds like one if the manifolds failed and somehow caused the block to crack.

ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by Ianfs » 11 May 2018, 15:55

Hi Chris

Confirmed it has a brand new block, manifolds ,gimbal bearing and transom shield. Sounds like one if the manifolds failed and somehow caused the block to crack.

So what do you get in a new block? Do you get all the pistons, crankshaft, valves, top end etc? If so, in the raw water cooled world, that's immense. Plus manifolds and transom shield too, its like having a repower, wow! :)
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by ChrisH » 11 May 2018, 20:42

Ianfs wrote:Hi Chris

So what do you get in a new block? Do you get all the pistons, crankshaft, valves, top end etc? If so, in the raw water cooled world, that's immense. Plus manifolds and transom shield too, its like having a repower, wow! :)
Would it come with pistons etc? I assume it would but is it physically possible it wouldn't?

ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by mlines » 12 May 2018, 06:09

I guess it's possible it uses the old pistons etc providing the contact parts (piston rings, shell bearings etc) are changed. However I would think it is new or refurbished everything within the block, just minus the head and bolt on components.

Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
mlines
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by Ianfs » 12 May 2018, 10:46

However I would think it is new or refurbished everything within the block, just minus the head and bolt on components.

I was curious to see if anyone sold just a block but on the face of it Martin's thoughts are right. These guys in the US sell what they call re-manufactured engines both short and long block. They say that a short block has no cylinder heads and a long block has heads. I don't know what they mean by re-manufactured though, is that a term for used but refurbished in some way? But it does seem that a block would come with crankshaft and pistons etc.

http://www.rapidomarine.com/default.aspx?p=/engines/default.aspx

Repower marine UK on the other hand sell a long block engine which they claim is brand new, its all very confusing. :)

https://repowermarine.com/index.php/repower-mercruiser-engine/repower-v8/new-5-0l-vortec-long-block.html

No doubt Tom will check all the documentation/invoices etc. It's good to have someone with expertise on board eh?
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by shibbs » 12 May 2018, 13:13

Another odd one is why is the 5.7 cheaper than the 5.0? Only by a couple of hundred £ but still cheaper.
:?:
Stu

Princess 286 Riviera
Twin Volvo Penta AD41’s
shibbs
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by ChrisH » 12 May 2018, 14:28

Ianfs wrote:
However I would think it is new or refurbished everything within the block, just minus the head and bolt on components.

I was curious to see if anyone sold just a block but on the face of it Martin's thoughts are right. These guys in the US sell what they call re-manufactured engines both short and long block. They say that a short block has no cylinder heads and a long block has heads. I don't know what they mean by re-manufactured though, is that a term for used but refurbished in some way? But it does seem that a block would come with crankshaft and pistons etc.

http://www.rapidomarine.com/default.aspx?p=/engines/default.aspx

Repower marine UK on the other hand sell a long block engine which they claim is brand new, its all very confusing. :)

https://repowermarine.com/index.php/repower-mercruiser-engine/repower-v8/new-5-0l-vortec-long-block.html

No doubt Tom will check all the documentation/invoices etc. It's good to have someone with expertise on board eh?
Yep. He has a borascope too to have a look inside. And he can get the oil analysed to see if there are any hidden nasties in the oil that would imply immanent failure.

ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by ChrisH » 12 May 2018, 14:29

shibbs wrote:Another odd one is why is the 5.7 cheaper than the 5.0? Only by a couple of hundred £ but still cheaper.
:?:
Aren't they the same block?

ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by mlines » 12 May 2018, 17:08

I don't know what they mean by re-manufactured though, is that a term for used but refurbished in some way?

That's always an issue. In the car club I run there was a "supplier" that sold refurbished engines and gearboxes. His refurb toolset was a brush and tin of black paint. As he never stated what refurb meant he was not really breaking any laws. And in the boat world there was a supplier who had a tin of Volvo green paint as his primary tool.

Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
mlines
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Motor Boat Forum

User Menu