• Boat Banter

It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:51
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 119 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 119 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 119 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Boatless

by ChrisH » 12 May 2018, 18:24

mlines wrote:
I don't know what they mean by re-manufactured though, is that a term for used but refurbished in some way?

That's always an issue. In the car club I run there was a "supplier" that sold refurbished engines and gearboxes. His refurb toolset was a brush and tin of black paint. As he never stated what refurb meant he was not really breaking any laws. And in the boat world there was a supplier who had a tin of Volvo green paint as his primary tool.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Now that is scary

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by ChrisH » 30 May 2018, 15:50

thought i would post an update for those interested.

Went a long for the inspection with Tompa as planned.
Long block is definitely new. The compression tests were inline with a new engine.
Does also have a new transom shield.
recent alternator and trim pump.
Hull seemed good on lift out, and outdrive and props ok.
Will need new manifolds and risers as a precaution though, as these are an unkown age.

Whats annoying is that the owner either did not know, or did not bother to mention the things that don't work, and the broker clearly has not checked either.
Midships bilge pump dead
Fresh water pump dead, therefore could not test calorifier
Nav lights dead
Leaking trim tab ram

Worst of all was the sea trial. Given I just paid to have the boat pulled out and jetwashed off to inspect her, she had no power and would not get above 3000 rpm and 20 mph. Barely on the plane. Pointless seal trial.

Engine ran lovely in the harbour, so Tom thinks it was tuned and setup by ear when the new engine went in and not using a timing gun. Also running rich.
Owner says he was told to not go above 3000rpm while he ran the engine in, so had not noticed, so he must have just pottered around outside the harbour I think, cod it was clear there was no guts to haul her up on the plane.

So went home pretty miffed...
Now its with them to rectify the list of faults to my satisfaction. Which seems to be taking an eternity to move forward and get a decision.
Guess I am resigned to missing the good weather this year :-)
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by shibbs » 30 May 2018, 16:12

That’s frustrating. It sounds like it has potential but certainly needs those bits sorting. Also sounds similar to the issue I had of which timing did come into it but far from the only issue so may be an easy fix...
I’ve got to say, things not working and not declared when trying to sell something really annoys me. Either be honest and transparent about defects or get them fixed.
Keep us updated.
Stu

Princess 286 Riviera
Twin Volvo Penta AD41’s
shibbs
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by Ianfs » 30 May 2018, 19:25

So went home pretty miffed...

Yep, not surprised, did you tell them you were not happy?

Confirmed it has a brand new block, manifolds ,gimbal bearing and transom shield. Sounds like one if the manifolds failed and somehow caused the block to crack.

Will need new manifolds and risers as a precaution though, as these are an unkown age.

They confirmed it had new manifolds. But then couldn't tell you their age, that's odd, some information left out.

Midships bilge pump dead
Fresh water pump dead, therefore could not test calorifier
Nav lights dead
Leaking trim tab ram

Fresh water pump, bilge pump and nav lights could be something simple like bad connections, maybe in the fuse area. Leaking trim tab ram is a simple new ram, if available. But the clarifier is interesting, did Tom say it was a compatible unit for raw water?

Have you given them a time limit to fix the problems?
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by ChrisH » 30 May 2018, 21:30

Seems the owner thought he had new manifolds. But I spoke to the engineer who replaced the engine a few days before I went there and he said they were not new.

Water pump is actually burned out. It was boiling hot to touch. Probably calorifier is ok but I want them to prove it is and not take the £500 risk.
Water pump and calorifier Ian is fresh water though not raw or am I misunderstanding something.. quite possibly. I think the other things are probably simple.
Gimbal is new so Tom thinks it should just be not aligned right but best they check it and take the hit.

ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by ChrisH » 30 May 2018, 21:33

And yes Ian I did make it clear I was unhappy. And at my expense too.

I'm giving them a bit of time due to the bank holiday. Currently they are getting costs for the work. So let's see. If this falls through I might just give up for now . Running out of enthusiasm and days to spend of work.

ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by Ianfs » 31 May 2018, 20:15

I'm giving them a bit of time due to the bank holiday. Currently they are getting costs for the work. So let's see. If this falls through I might just give up for now . Running out of enthusiasm and days to spend of work.

I and hundreds of others understand your thoughts at this point. I was just thinking how a few of my friends and contacts have managed to buy a boat quickly and yet I have turned down dozens of them. The only answer I can come up with is that they have found their boat at the right price and condition in double quick time or they have made massive compromises. I know I didn't allow enough in the budget in the first place.
To be fair I had found 3 boats which would have suited, one was doubtful as it was having a KAD32 rebuilt and they couldn't answer all the questions from my engineer, another couldn't come up with the history or VAT receipt and the last one was 2 yrs younger than the owner first thought so price went up.

Good luck Chris, keep your chin up, I'm sure this one is a goodun. :)
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by Bigplumbs » 05 Jun 2018, 05:32

Ianfs wrote:

I and hundreds of others understand your thoughts at this point. I was just thinking how a few of my friends and contacts have managed to buy a boat quickly and yet I have turned down dozens of them. The only answer I can come up with is that they have found their boat at the right price and condition in double quick time or they have made massive compromises. I know I didn't allow enough in the budget in the first place.
To be fair I had found 3 boats which would have suited, one was doubtful as it was having a KAD32 rebuilt and they couldn't answer all the questions from my engineer, another couldn't come up with the history or VAT receipt and the last one was 2 yrs younger than the owner first thought so price went up.

Could it be perhaps that you are looking at a second hand boat several years old and expecting them to be in nearly new condition
Bigplumbs
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by shibbs » 05 Jun 2018, 18:48

Bigplumbs wrote:
Ianfs wrote:

Could it be perhaps that you are looking at a second hand boat several years old and expecting them to be in nearly new condition

Or, maybe more like there are good ones out there so why rush into it and wait for a good one to come up?
I’d be doing the same, taking things slow and waiting for the one that is in nearly new condition.
Why would you not?
Stu

Princess 286 Riviera
Twin Volvo Penta AD41’s
shibbs
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by Bigplumbs » 05 Jun 2018, 20:18

To answer why would you not:

Because life is short.................... A boating friend of mine who felt he was old once wrote a book the title was ....... 'Just a Few More Tides'...............

Sadly he is no longer with us
Bigplumbs
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Motor Boat Forum

User Menu