• Boat Banter

It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:54
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 61 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 60 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 60 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Boatless

by shibbs » 19 Jun 2018, 21:59

Sounds like Ian has it all covered to be honest. My memory of the bar at Littlehampton is that with care you can still get in at low tide carefully but it has been long time since i have been there so certainly don't quote me on that.
I've not been round the bill at Portland but understand that with wind over tide it can get quite confused. Sounds like with the neaps and wind strength you should be ok.
Worth checking the chart when approaching Witterings as the sand bank does extend further out than you would think if no experience of it... ( you've probably guessed why i've highlighted this :oops: ), likewise again at the entrance to Langstone if your hugging the coast.
With regard to entrance into Solent, either follow the main channel in through the forts, obviously keeping clear of any larger vessels on transit or again, hug the coast by Hayling, eastney and up towards southsea. Be aware of the submarine barrier that runs out from the beach. A small boat channel is clearly marked.
At low tide, many of the concrete blocks are visible, shortly after they aren't but will quite easily take a drive leg off or do some serious damage if unaware.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j ... 1811647783

Not much else to add i'm afraid other than i hope the sea trial goes well and you have an enjoyable calm transit back to its new home!! :D

Keep us updated.
Stu

Princess 286 Riviera
Twin Volvo Penta AD41’s
shibbs
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by ChrisH » 19 Jun 2018, 23:18

shibbs wrote:Sounds like Ian has it all covered to be honest. My memory of the bar at Littlehampton is that with care you can still get in at low tide carefully but it has been long time since i have been there so certainly don't quote me on that.
I've not been round the bill at Portland but understand that with wind over tide it can get quite confused. Sounds like with the neaps and wind strength you should be ok.
Worth checking the chart when approaching Witterings as the sand bank does extend further out than you would think if no experience of it... ( you've probably guessed why i've highlighted this :oops: ), likewise again at the entrance to Langstone if your hugging the coast.
With regard to entrance into Solent, either follow the main channel in through the forts, obviously keeping clear of any larger vessels on transit or again, hug the coast by Hayling, eastney and up towards southsea. Be aware of the submarine barrier that runs out from the beach. A small boat channel is clearly marked.
At low tide, many of the concrete blocks are visible, shortly after they aren't but will quite easily take a drive leg off or do some serious damage if unaware.

Not much else to add i'm afraid other than i hope the sea trial goes well and you have an enjoyable calm transit back to its new home!! :D

Keep us updated.
Thanks Stu

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by mlines » 20 Jun 2018, 05:31

shibbs wrote:I've not been round the bill at Portland

I assume you mean Selsey, if it's Portland then he is seriously lost :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
mlines
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by shibbs » 20 Jun 2018, 06:42

mlines wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes. Your absolutely right.

Make sure you turn right long before you end up in Portland!! :lol:
Stu

Princess 286 Riviera
Twin Volvo Penta AD41’s
shibbs
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

by sprocker » 20 Jun 2018, 07:17

I don't know that area at all so can't add anything constructive to your passage planning, but I would like to say...... I hope your sea trial goes well, and very best wishes for your maiden voyage. Exciting times !!!
sprocker
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by ChrisH » 20 Jun 2018, 17:54

mlines wrote:

Lol

ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by ChrisH » 20 Jun 2018, 17:56

sprocker wrote:I don't know that area at all so can't add anything constructive to your passage planning, but I would like to say...... I hope your sea trial goes well, and very best wishes for your maiden voyage. Exciting times !!!
Many thanks. Broker did not come back to me today with any news. So no idea if all is well with the work they were doing or not.

ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by Ianfs » 20 Jun 2018, 18:26

Many thanks. Broker did not come back to me today with any news. So no idea if all is well with the work they were doing or not.

Not very professional!

Oh and one more thing about Selsey. Lobster/Crab pots. Nearly all the professional fishermen have them clearly marked but there are a few recreational pots around and they dont have a licence to worry about.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by ChrisH » 20 Jun 2018, 19:54

Feeling a bit stupid here. But what am I missing. I see clearly why I need to navigate the 2 markers. But is that the Looe channel. Surely that's just a few meters in distance through the gap. Is that the Looe Channel or am I missing something else on the chart. Image

ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by ChrisH » 20 Jun 2018, 22:10

Think I figured it. Did not find the right level if zoom before. Assume the channel is east of boulder and street north of boulders bank and beyondImage

ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Motor Boat Forum

User Menu