  • In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Boatless

by ChrisH » 05 Jun 2018, 23:13

Well boat 1 my engineer said walk away.
Boat 2 I squeezed very hard on the price. But it needed a lot if tarting up and the buyer pulled out before I could inspect it.
Boat 3 I was not prepared to spend enough money and offered too little. Same boat as Shibbs.
Boat 4 current one. Like the boat and if they sort everything out I am asking within the offer price then I will be happy. Is it a good deal? ... not sure.... But don't think it is a bad deal..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by Bigplumbs » 06 Jun 2018, 10:30

If you like boat 4 and all is almost to your liking go for it. Don't let small things put you off. Once you have bought it believe me you will find several things. Some good and some not so good

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by mlines » 16 Jun 2018, 19:20

Normally when it comes to Squeakers you will hear me shouting to run a mile. If you want to spend years on the hard with your head in the engine bay then a Squeaker is for you but if you actually want to go boating then buy something else.

However, in a idle walk around a boatyard we saw this for sale at just over £14k

Regal_2250IMG_20180616_154110.jpg
Regal_2250IMG_20180616_154110.jpg (225.63 KiB) Viewed 11877 times

Regal_2250IMG_20180616_154121.jpg
Regal_2250IMG_20180616_154121.jpg (238.58 KiB) Viewed 11877 times

It is probably the finest example I have ever seen, apparently it has been dry (i.e. indoor) stored for a significant part of its life and has 500 hours on the engine.

Squeaker fans enjoy!

http://www.tingdeneboatsales.net/boat-s ... ID=6745617
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by ChrisH » 16 Jun 2018, 22:55

What the he'll is a squeaker?
That is an amazing boat for the age. Incredible.

Update for me... things are still progressing on the Maxum. Owner is sorting out the engine not running properly, bildge pump and fresh water pump. If all goes well and weather is favorable will try to collect from Brighton on Friday.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by ChrisH » 16 Jun 2018, 22:58

Anyone made the trip from Brighton to Southampton?

I'm estimating approx 3 hours? Is that about right?

Navigation.. What to look out for. Looe channel at Selsey is the thing I can see I need to watch out for. Do I need to go through at slack ride or does it not matter if I don't mind a bit of a discomfort? Anything else?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by Ianfs » 17 Jun 2018, 13:23

Hey Chris

Yes, I've done that a few times. Do you have charts and an almanac? I've got the Channel Pilot and Reeds, if you let me know roughly when you're thinking about making it, I'll put some plans together. :)

There is a tidal gate at the bill and at first thoughts it makes sense to do the trip on the Ebb as the flow will be East to West. However winds are predominantly SW, in a mobo wind against tide can be a bit uncomfortable and although its against the tide, a flood may be better. 1 - 2 knts is pretty insignificant when its more comfortable. :D

by ChrisH » 17 Jun 2018, 19:49

Thanks Ian.. no neither. Always used the Garmin on the old boat for navigation. And never went out if the solent. This one has no nav. Will download navionics I think on my iPad for now. Any help much appreciated Ian thanks.
Planning to go on Friday weather permitting.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by Ianfs » 17 Jun 2018, 20:06

Ok Chris I'll put a plan together. Pm me your email.

Edit. Martin calls Sunseekers, Squeakers. :mrgreen:
Not my cup of tea, but that boat looks immaculate.

by Ianfs » 19 Jun 2018, 10:07

If anyone has any comments or I have forgotten anything would you please add to it, I and I'm sure Chris will be more than interested. :)

He wants to get from Brighton Marina to Kemps Quay for approx. mid afternoon on Friday. First he has to catch a train to Brighton, sort out the final sea trial so he is happy with the work then sort the paperwork out and hopefully own a new boat. :D

Weather forecast- Wednesday afternoon into Thursday night a cold front is moving across the South coast towards France, followed by a large High Pressure. Spread isobars on Friday 13.00hrs should indicate light winds and settled weather, what do you all think?

Fuel- Tank holds 250l

Tides - Start of Neap tides and tidal flow should be between 1-2.5knts inshore all the way. At midday tidal flow should still be Eastwards and with light WNW to NW winds it should keep any chop to slight.

Safe havens - Shoreham although back to Brighton depending upon conditions and distance. Then Littlehampton though at low tide I'm not sure about the bar at the mouth, has anyone got experience of this?

Tide times. Dover HW 07.15hrs - LW 14.17hrs - HW 19.33hrs - Portsmouth HW 07.28hrs - LW 12.54hrs - HW 20.08hrs

Distance - Brighton Marina to Kemps 54nm - Brighton M to Selsey (Boulder and Street buoys) 27nm

Time - Brighton to Selsey @ 15knts 1hr 50mins - Selsey to Itchen mouth @ 15knts 1hr 50min - Itchen mouth to Kemps @6knts 20mins.

Tidal gate - Selsey inshore passage Looe - Imray chart tidal flow at 12.50hrs 0.8 knts 093° . According to Reeds, this is not the optimum time to take this passage but with Neap tides and slight winds I think this should be fine.

EDT- 11.00hrs
ETA Kemps - 14.00hrs

I've suggested keeping seaward of Brackelesham Bay and the Witterings. I don't know the waters around The Witterings into Portsmouth approaches so any information you guys have would be useful. What to avoid etc. Shipping channels, Crossing Portsmouth Fairway that sort of thing. :)

by ChrisH » 19 Jun 2018, 18:17

Thanks for all the help Ian.
Looks like fuel tank is 265l. So my estimation was about right.
I think realistically it's gonna be 12.00 earliest before we get away. I don't mind arriving at kemps early evening.

I've downloaded navionics onto my iPad. So plan to use this with gps for navigation.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

PreviousNext