  • In total there are 13 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Boatless

by Ianfs » 17 Sep 2018, 13:48

That looks like it's been very well kept Chris. I think the design is everlasting and although maybe not to everyone's taste I really like the double helm seat. She was the first boat at Hardy Marine to be designed by the brilliant Naval Architect Andrew Wolstenholme, who went on to design all the current Hardy range.

You mentioned the headroom, I thought there was a good 6' in the galley and head?

by ChrisH » 17 Sep 2018, 21:20

Ianfs wrote:That looks like it's been very well kept Chris. I think the design is everlasting and although maybe not to everyone's taste I really like the double helm seat. She was the first boat at Hardy Marine to be designed by the brilliant Naval Architect Andrew Wolstenholme, who went on to design all the current Hardy range.

You mentioned the headroom, I thought there was a good 6' in the galley and head?
Ian. No definately not 6ft.. the doorway slides back which allows you to stand up to use the cooking hob. Otherwise I would say it is more like 5ft 8 or something like that. More like an extra large cuddy.

Double helm seat is a little small. 2 adults are pretty cosy. But the stern u shape seating is what I like the most.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by ChrisH » 17 Sep 2018, 21:25

Anyone know how autohelm works. It s has an st5000+. Original spec I think. But keeps saying it can't hold course and goes back to standby.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by ColinR » 18 Sep 2018, 13:44

Shamrock Quay, can't remember the name. We asked in Southampton Water Yacht sales but they didn't know the boat. Liked the layout but not that particular one. Last time I was nosing around down there it was gone.
User avatar
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

Location: Hampshire, England

by Ianfs » 18 Sep 2018, 15:22

Anyone know how autohelm works. It s has an st5000+. Original spec I think. But keeps saying it can't hold course and goes back to standby.

Hi Chris,

You didn't mention if it was working when you trialled the boat?

Nearly all autopilots work very much the same, unless they are high tech and computerised. The Raymarine ST5000 plus was a good unit and slightly above entry level units. They work by using their own compass, usually a Fluxgate type, which very often disagrees with the plotter and/or ships compass. The reason is mainly that they haven't been swung i.e. swung to the boats deviational magnetic fields or the ships compass hasn't been swung. They can also be connected via cabling to other GPS or plotter units.

The control head units of this type usually have a Compass course display with buttons which are +1 - 1 as well as +10 - 10 then Auto and Stand By. As you no doubt know the buttons are course changers of either 1° or 10° plus or minus. It'll probably have a rudder reference transducer and a sterndrive actuator.

This for me sounds like a problem with the compass wiring or calibration or in fact it maybe more than one fault so you may have to take each a step at a time. You could try calibrating it. I think you have to press and hold the stand by button in for a second or two, the screen might read "cal" or something like that. Then turn the boat in a very slow speed circle about 3mins to do a complete circle. Keep turning until you get a reading, I can't remember exactly but I think you get a deviation reading as well as a heading. If this works, press and hold the stand by button for about a second again to save.

See if that works. :D

Edit.. forgot to say to check wiring first, if you're able to, sometimes it's tucked away out of reach. Possible corrosion somewhere, connectors etc.

by ChrisH » 19 Sep 2018, 16:34

Thanks Ian. Will give that a go.
I think we overlooked testing the autopilot on seatrial. Saw it fired up and did not get around to anything else.
To be honest I am not that bothered about it, but if I can get it going I will.

Need to open up the dash anyway, as the trim gauge for the leg fell through the dash. :-(
User avatar
ChrisH

by Ianfs » 19 Sep 2018, 18:09

Need to open up the dash anyway, as the trim gauge for the leg fell through the dash.

Oooops! :lol:

I'm sure it's just a wiring problem, I've had several electronic devices fixed because of a simple fuse/Earth connector, bus connector gone resistant because of an iddy biddy bit of corrosion . See if you can find out where the compass is located, that'll help with any wiring corrosion too. :)

Where are you keeping her?

by ChrisH » 19 Sep 2018, 18:43

Ianfs wrote:
Need to open up the dash anyway, as the trim gauge for the leg fell through the dash.

Oooops!

I'm sure it's just a wiring problem, I've had several electronic devices fixed because of a simple fuse/Earth connector, bus connector gone resistant because of an iddy biddy bit of corrosion . See if you can find out where the compass is located, that'll help with any wiring corrosion too. :)

Where are you keeping her?
Thanks. Will have a dig around.
Same place I kept the Mariah. Kemps quay.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by Ianfs » 21 Sep 2018, 05:31

I'd be happy to pop over and have a route around with you but not this coming week unfortunately.

by ChrisH » 21 Sep 2018, 15:42

Ianfs wrote:I'd be happy to pop over and have a route around with you but not this coming week unfortunately.

Thanks Ian, appreciate the offer, may well take you up on that.
I am useless when it comes to this sort of thing. My brother got all of the practical genes. :-)

I'm away this weekend too, will keep you posted.
User avatar
ChrisH

PreviousNext