  • In total there are 14 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Motor Boat Forum

go pro

by betty boop » 16 Mar 2018, 11:06

I was thinking of buying one of those Go Pro things, £ wouldn't stretch to a new/real one but I was thinking one of the knock off Ebay ones- Does anyone have any experience or something similar? they seem to be selling at less than £20 all in. After all if I'm making a movie #1 son is a location TV Cameraman so I can get £40k worth relatively easily but that's a bit over kill :roll: :lol:

Reason I thought a knock off is better is that my plan is to mount on the hand rail right upfront on the little over hang where the anchor comes up. Obviously if its £££ then it will go missing etc. Either that or a 2nd hand Go Pro my suffice?
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Bigplumbs » 16 Mar 2018, 16:51

Ian

I have 4 of the knock off ones and a genunine Go Pro. I have to say that I actually like the images and video better on the Knock off ones and for £40 you cant go wrong. Make sure you get the one with WiFi. Amazon have an excellent one. I bought one just the other day to use on my motorbike

It is every bit as good as a GP and if you loose it in the drink no real loss of dosh

Here is the Amazon one I bought

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06 ... UTF8&psc=1

Spare Batteries and little charger. Not necessary but nice to have

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by shibbs » 16 Mar 2018, 21:33

I have to say I disagree there, in my opinion, the quality of the cheap copies are nowhere near that of the genuine, I have one of each and simply don’t use the cheap one unless it is in a risky environment, ie chance of losing it.
That said, the cheap one is sufficient if there is a chance of losing it, £30 odd lost compared to the real one makes the lack in quality worth while.
I notice the difference in colour, it’s ability to take vibration and sound quality.
Worth giving the cheaper one a go, if I hadn’t have seen the difference first hand I probably would have stuck with the cheaper one.

by Ianfs » 17 Mar 2018, 15:55

I agree with Shibbs.

What I would add is which Go Pro? They vary in price and what they offer.

But at £200 And £20 It makes sense to buy a cheap one first. £20 will not stop you buying a £2-400 camera later.

One more consideration is that the GP 6 which I have and wanted because of 4k and 240 fps, is actually a waste. 4k uses bundles of storage and cannot be viewed on my pc. Happy to explain if you would like.
Most people shoot video in 1080p and 24 fps.
It's also had issues with stabilisation at these levels and mine won't connect to my phone in 5ghz WiFi only 2.4.
These are known issues and are being corrected but in my opinion if you do buy a Go Pro make sure the one you choose has all its bugs knocked out and your editing equipment can handle it, bearing in mind you may only want to shoot average video.

by betty boop » 21 Mar 2018, 15:20

gone are the days of anything being simple I guess. I've stayed away from DSLR for that reason. I hit the dizzy heights of almost Semi Pro in the early 90's (B4 kids) and haven't bothered yet trying to figure out what goes where again although Very tempted. the only thing that still applies is the desire to throw money at toys with a fashionable brand name instead of making calculated decisions on quality and affordability. eBay here I come :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by ChrisH » 22 Mar 2018, 20:19

Why not buy a used GP from someone who has upgraded.. I have one about 4 years old. Takes amazing footage. And does everything I need. Make sure you teather it so you can't loose it in the drink.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH