  • In total there are 32 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests

Motor Boat Forum

swim platform

by betty boop » 03 Mar 2018, 13:19

Anyone ever removed a swim platform? Im considering taking mine off before the season starts. Reason being it is so large I have a feeling it affects handling esp on rough water. with only 5cm clearance on the water line Im sure it catches the wake and causes handling issues. it certainly does when stationary, with a constant slap at the back as she rocks in the water which causes a constant bang bang bang rocking motion. the new style on the same model is 1/2 the size so I guess they found an issue. Also the added length and trailer weight causes a ball ache trying to swing and park up etc.

So my issue is what will I find IF i take it off? will the gelcoat come off with it or just leave a mess to clean up, other than the 4 bolt hols and 1/2 dozen screw holes to temp fill obviously.
Attachments
Karnic 2260 Exterior_2260_20.jpg
Karnic 2260 Exterior_2260_20.jpg (72.74 KiB) Viewed 20860 times
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 03 Mar 2018, 17:11

For me at high speed, I don't think it will make much difference, its at anchor or moored you'll find it quieter. I would question whether you find it useful and if not remove it. But, can you put it back, it would make a great selling aid.

I've seen a lot of these added over a my time and a lot of platforms bolted and sealed with 3m or Sikaflex. Consequently, it's the bolts, as you've mentioned, which will have to have the holes properly sealed, which may cause some work. Also you will have to remove the glue/sealant in order to bring the transom back.

by shibbs » 03 Mar 2018, 20:08

I can see why it would slap when stationary, I suppose it really does come down to whether you would miss the benefits of having it there or not. For me, whilst on mine it is built in, I love having the platform at the back just for assisting getting on / off, especially at the beach with kids and a constantly excited spaniel!, it keeps some of the muck out of the boat.
With regard to removing it, unless it is moulded as part of the hull, I can’t see it being a huge job. Like Ian says, I would imagine it would be a case of having to remove a fair amount of sealant of some sort and then filling in bolt holes. I would be very surprised if it takes gel coat off with it. All achievable I would say. Am I right I’m thinking you use the boat mostly at slow ( as in sub planing) speeds? If so I get that it can be a pain..
Good luck with whatever choice you go with. Keep us updated, will be interesting to see the difference.

by betty boop » 04 Mar 2018, 09:49

Yes used mostly at slow speeds on rivers, that is part of the internal argument sorry discussion at home :lol: Ms BB arguing that it is easier to get on or off pre launch/post recovery. and those feet in the water moments on hot summer days. My view is that whilst that is right I manoeuvre the thing in tight locks and pontoons, when the rear end swings out it has caused quite a few 'hold your breath' moments. But it is the at anchor slapping that annoys me most.

Any thought on how much would it weigh?

So we have a good and bad list going- good to see it in writing for my own benefit

Good
more deck space(not sure how the new over sized Labrador will like boats and he may have to 'walk the plank (swim platform)' as punishment
Ladder access
feet in the water
no need for a ladder to get on board trailering.
protection from rain when your working on the leg (on the driveway)
protects the drive when hitting the pontoon/side of lock etc.

Bad
Weight - both for trailering and planning - I assume it weighs a good 200kg?
handling in rough water, not sure I will ever answer that question
Crack on the head when your working on the leg and forget its there (ouch)
close quarters manoeuvring, (adds about 500mm extra length) past the pivot point of the drive
SLAP SLAP SLAP constantly, when it slaps the water spout through the ladder 'vent' can reach 2m high, getting it in the face is not funny :lol:
no swim ladder if removed.
putting it back on for sale (and storage)
adds a lot of material to the winter and summer covers.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by betty boop » 04 Mar 2018, 13:11

never thought of looking at you tube

Last edited by Ianfs on 04 Mar 2018, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: You Tube's overly complicated share perameters correction.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 04 Mar 2018, 15:48

Weight - both for trailering and planning - I assume it weighs a good 200kg?

See now I would have said at first glance it was about 80kgs if it was a single skin and about 125kgs if double skin. If its 200kgs then that's a lot of wasted area to be dragging around.

I was thinking you could always replace the bolts after removal and add large stainless washers and loads of sealant like Sika or 3m, that would work, then just put I back to resell.

by ian h » 04 Mar 2018, 18:07

For me it looks a hideous carbuncle on the stern, too much of an afterthought .
A bit like. Hang on chaps we have forgotten a bathing platform , Oh we have this laying around I am sure we can make it fit.

I guess you could remove it and then take boat out a couple of times to see if you really miss it or actually find its no different. You can then either put it back on or fill in the holes and store the platform somewhere for when you sell
ian h

by betty boop » 06 Mar 2018, 18:57

ian h wrote:For me it looks a hideous carbuncle on the stern, too much of an afterthought .
A bit like. Hang on chaps we have forgotten a bathing platform , Oh we have this laying around I am sure we can make it fit.

I guess you could remove it and then take boat out a couple of times to see if you really miss it or actually find its no different. You can then either put it back on or fill in the holes and store the platform somewhere for when you sell

made me laugh as thats almost exactly what I thought. Karnic boats I like but I cant help but be slightly negative over the quality and design. there are loads of positives but somethings stand out like OMG why did they do that? the platform being one, its shape being based around the 2 piece platform on the outboard version that they thought would fit if the just joined it in the middle.

Dont get me wrong its a nice boat and I like it and I know there are loads of design issues with all boats big and small but it makes me laugh and wonder why they went to market with plan A but didnt think of researching what worked or didnt. Now the build quality is another matter altogether, it looks good quality as new in places but with some very suspect decisions in the materials that clearly wouldn't last 5 years. DIY shop ply as backing on fixed exterior seat and back rests for one with non marine vinyl coverings. that just stinks of short cut £ saving to far gone. But I digress - Yes I may remove it for a laugh- refit the bolts and screws with rubber seals and see how it goes for the early summer season. If it sinks or falls apart I'll be looking for compensation from the Forum Chair man :lol: :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 08 Mar 2018, 18:09

Actually better quality than you think. :)

by betty boop » 11 Mar 2018, 21:43

Ianfs wrote:Actually better quality than you think. :)

only thing there Ian is if the TV camera came into my office I would look official and competent at my job, but the reality could be something quite different behind the scenes. :lol: all a bit of an illusion, or is it? ........................... :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero