  • In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Short winter run to Dartmouth...

by TorbayRob » 18 Feb 2018, 13:23

We finally got to do a proper 'trip' in the Portofino yesterday. The weekend weather was for once kind - mostly dry and winds light enough so I'd be able to get back into berth without destroying anything! (Lots of practice needed on this bit as new to me!)

A friend was down for the weekend from Stoke on Trent with his Fletcher and Nick Burnham accepted our offer of a few hours out on the boat. We have had a few fantastic trips out with Nick, so returning the favour whilst Smugglers Blues 2 is ashore for winter.

Nick turned up armed with GoPro and Video camera, so we unexpectedly got some absolutely awesome footage too! We didn't go too far, just around Torbay and down to Dartmouth then venturing as far up the Dart as Galmpton. A nice contrast of fast lively coastal running and slow tranquil river cruising.

I've shared the video below - it will hopefully helps to ease the winter blues... Enjoy. 8-)

TorbayRob
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Location: Torbay (or pub if it's raining)

by Ianfs » 18 Feb 2018, 15:15

You just beat me to it Rob. I've literally just watched this on the TV and popped upstairs to the office to do a write up and share the amazing video Nick Burnham (YouTube name AQUAHOLIC ) took.

For those of you who don't know, Rob has always wanted a Classic Sunseeker and I think it was last year (please correct me if I'm wrong Rob) he managed to find a little gem and bought it. Now she needed a little tender care with one or two things, what boat doesn't eh? But she came with a newish Steyr diesel engine and a good inventory.

Now look at her, she is amazing and what a great hull (Don Shead an amazing designer).

Thanks for posting my friend. :)

by TorbayRob » 18 Feb 2018, 16:11

Hi Ian,

Yes indeed we did the deal on her last spring. Got her lifted onto transport from Poole and back home complete with tired trailer and spent much of last summer juggling work and boat clean up. Coppercoat re-applied (20 years old), really good clean and polish, first full service in a few years (unused since 2015, last serviced 2014) and a few upgrades. I've added a HDS9 plotter, shore power, TV and and stereo - plus new VHF, tank clean, new seacock and a few minor repairs. Lots of things were just in need of TLC - like teak swim deck and cockpit fittings, tap washer etc, etc. Some jobs still to do, covers and carpets included plus fit a diesel heater over summer for next winter, but good solid boat and handles like a dream - smooth, agile and very dry ride. To say we're chuffed is an understatement... ;) Come and have a run next time you are down this way.

Cheers,

Robin
TorbayRob
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Location: Torbay (or pub if it's raining)

by Ianfs » 18 Feb 2018, 19:49

Magnificent Rob, you're a legend and yes absolutely we'll pop down and have a meet up. :)

by ian h » 18 Feb 2018, 20:58

Great bit of Video.

I was down at boat on Saturday, Southampton water was flat clam like glass. No other boats out at 09:00

Was so tempted to go for a run, But spent but instead spend 5.5 hour laying in the engine bay removing coolers that have not been touched since the boat was built 18 years ago,

They did not look in bad condition to be honest, The only coolers that showed signs of blockage were the oil coolers,

Engineer now has them to clean out . Then prob another 8 - 9 hours to put them back in the boat.
I wish there was another foot of room to make working on engines easier
ian h

by TorbayRob » 18 Feb 2018, 21:27

ian h wrote:Great bit of Video.

I was down at boat on Saturday, Southampton water was flat clam like glass. No other boats out at 09:00

Was so tempted to go for a run, But spent but instead spend 5.5 hour laying in the engine bay removing coolers that have not been touched since the boat was built 18 years ago,

They did not look in bad condition to be honest, The only coolers that showed signs of blockage were the oil coolers,

Engineer now has them to clean out . Then prob another 8 - 9 hours to put them back in the boat.
I wish there was another foot of room to make working on engines easier

Thankfully we have a spacious engine bay - something I did factor in when looking at the boat. I need to do most servicing myself on an affordability basis and not being as agile as I once was had to be a consideration! :lol:
TorbayRob
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Location: Torbay (or pub if it's raining)

by Bigplumbs » 23 Feb 2018, 08:06

That is a lovely video. Both that and how Keen John and his Dad are is quite inspiring to be honest.

Me and here indoors are coming down for the Rally in May and are going to stay on for the week so might be able to join you on the water if you can get the time off

Cheered me up on a miserable winters day

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by TorbayRob » 24 Feb 2018, 10:58

Bigplumbs wrote:That is a lovely video. Both that and how Keen John and his Dad are is quite inspiring to be honest.

Me and here indoors are coming down for the Rally in May and are going to stay on for the week so might be able to join you on the water if you can get the time off

Cheered me up on a miserable winters day

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Jon is always keen - 100% petrol head where boats are concerned! Freezing cold and he's in his t-shirt heading up the Dart! He says Torbay is his Caribbean... :lol:

I find winter boating really inspiring myself - Not being a Sun worshipper, I don't mind the cold and love all the wildlife and tranquillity. Nick did a great job with the video and we were absolutely chuffed with it!

Yes, we'll be at the rally and probably get a few days off during the week too. Hoping the weather will be good for the Torbay Airshow the following weekend too!

See you in May...

Regards.