  • In total there are 72 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 72 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 72 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Solas V Reg 19 & 34

by Ianfs » 19 Jan 2018, 17:29

To the best of my knowledge I don't remember this ever being discussed here, please anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I may be right in saying, but any input will be more than welcome, that any vessel regardless of size, proceeding to sea in "categorised waters" (that is not inland rivers or small lakes) has to now have by law a written passage plan and where practical a radar reflector. The plan for small vessels and short passages as I understand it does not have to be comprehensive i.e. unlike one for a tanker or cruise ship, but does have to take into account tides, weather, traffic and any dangers. :?

Any comments anyone?

by shibbs » 19 Jan 2018, 18:51

From your post Ian, am I right In thinking categorised waters is everywhere except lakes and rivers?

Is this a new law? I’ve done plenty of training on various courses, some to a decent standard of navigation and I’ve never heard that it’s mandatory.

If it is, it’s clearly un-enforceable and an unrealistic requirement.

The reason I say that, half the time we go out and just see where we end up! :D

by Ianfs » 19 Jan 2018, 21:20

From your post Ian, am I right In thinking categorised waters is everywhere except lakes and rivers?

I tried to simplify it, apparently there are several categories, like tidal rivers with a low wave height etc. However having re-read my post which read ......

[ proceeding to sea in "categorised waters"] ...specifically the "in" should have read "outside" , sorry!

But thats not really the point of the post.

I dont know if its new as in the last year, thats really what I'm trying to find out and I agree with you Stu, we go out and generally see what happens. Although I have to say that I do, probably like you, check tidal flow, tide times, weather, whether there is any racing, general stuff in the Solent, but I only ever make notes and not a true passage plan except if I am on a bigger boat and making a passage, then its a bit different. But even on our, round the island trips, we dont write it down, it's more kept in our heads and on our phones with our radios set to the relevant channels and is pre planned.

The rader refletor thing is also a puzzle.

PS I've been googling it and one training centre say its the law but reading the actual documentation its not clear to me whether it is meant for small craft.

I just wondered what everyone else thinks