  • In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Merc Verado 200

by NickT » 13 Dec 2017, 21:32

Hello All,

Does anyone have experience/views on Mercury Verado 200 HP engines please? They are supercharged and therefore only need a small capacity (1.7 litres) to obtain the HP.

They shouldn't be more fuel hungry than a naturally aspirated engine of the same HP but I have heard rumors that they may be...

Any info would be useful as I am looking at a boat with one attached - it has quite a good service history as well which is nice/reassuring!

Thanks
NickT
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Joined: 04 Dec 2014, 19:56
Location: Southampton, Hamble River

by Ianfs » 14 Dec 2017, 12:15

Hi Nick

I have no experience of this model but to my knowledge the Verado range is very well respected. They claim to be the most economical in class and also that the supercharger gives great hole shot.

I don't know a great deal about superchargers fitted to petrol outboard engines, but on a big inboard diesels there is a band where the supercharger cuts in and then switches off (mainly because its there to get the boat over the hump because its been added to a reliable older designed engine to give extra oomph) consequently once running revs are achieved the clutch cuts out. This means that running a couple of diesels with superchargers at around 1600 for displacement speeds just at the point its due to cut in and not achieving cut out revs, the supercharger is likely to cut in and out and puts extra strain on the clutches .

Not knowing much about the Mercury set up on the Verado but without researching, I'm guessing there must be a rev range in which the supercharger kicks in and out. On the other hand it may be a bit more sophisticated and have electronic adjustment.

The reason I mention it is, if you are planning to own a boat that you want to be able to drive at differing speeds, it might be worth checking the system and how its set up. If not and all you want it is tick over or full chat, no problem. :D

by MikeDavies » 15 Dec 2017, 19:06

NickT wrote:Hello All,

Does anyone have experience/views on Mercury Verado 200 HP engines please? They are supercharged and therefore only need a small capacity (1.7 litres) to obtain the HP.

They shouldn't be more fuel hungry than a naturally aspirated engine of the same HP but I have heard rumors that they may be...

Any info would be useful as I am looking at a boat with one attached - it has quite a good service history as well which is nice/reassuring!

Thanks

We’ve got one on a Quicksilver 755 Pilot House, about 50 hrs now, does everything easily, smooth, quiet, loads of low down power, acceleration is impressive. Gets used at all speeds/revs and haven’t noticed a cut-in point for the supercharger, feels more like the boost is controlled by a wastegate. Also, the electronic controls and smart craft gauges are lovely, so smooth!

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MikeDavies
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 15 Dec 2017, 18:57

by NickT » 17 Dec 2017, 14:01

Hi Mike and Ian,

Thanks for your replies.

The boat I am in the process of buying hasn't been used much since new - just 176 hrs I understand on the engine.

Servicing has been regular and therefore I will just have to ease the engine into higher speeds as it has been on the Thames for a few years.

It has the smartcraft gauges and I will be keeping an eye on the water temperatures like a hawk for the first few hours....

When I take ownership this week I will post some photos.

Thanks
NickT
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Joined: 04 Dec 2014, 19:56
Location: Southampton, Hamble River

by NickT » 18 Dec 2017, 18:56

I completed on the purchase of a Saver 690 today - photos attached.

The verado engine sounds great.

I can't wait to try her out on the Solent...
Attachments
IMG_6777.JPG
IMG_6777.JPG (108.82 KiB) Viewed 7546 times
IMG_6799.JPG
IMG_6799.JPG (157.32 KiB) Viewed 7546 times
IMG_6793.JPG
IMG_6793.JPG (92.99 KiB) Viewed 7546 times
NickT
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Joined: 04 Dec 2014, 19:56
Location: Southampton, Hamble River

by betty boop » 22 Dec 2017, 17:34

looks good Nick, plenty of aft room for G& T's over the May B/hol Weekend 2019 :-)
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero