  • In total there are 9 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Just a thought but....

by Ianfs » 30 Oct 2017, 14:08

.......how many of you carry two or more lanyards for the emergency kill switch? Mind you I've not seen a kill switch on a cruiser, they are mainly for Ribs, Jet Ski's and Sportsboats.

The only reason I ask is because I renewed our kill switch the other day and whilst we were out having some fun Laura dropped a fender in the river, so we did some impromptu MOB training without the Mayday call of course. Then I thought afterwards supposing that had been me instead of a fender and we were out in the Solent and I had the safety lanyard around my leg, she wouldn't be able to easily start the boat to come and get me, albeit there were lots of other boats around and the RNLI don't hang around. I'm sure she would have improvised, she's pretty clever and quick witted it would have taken a few minutes or so and I would be getting a bit cold.

I therefore bought a couple of extra ones to keep in the locker. I suspect most of you already have a few onboard though already. :)

by betty boop » 30 Oct 2017, 19:20

good idea Ian - I used to have it on my leg years ago and a similar thing happened, albeit I walked off with it not floated off. But the fact remains if I fell over board little Miss B wouldnt have clue how to restart the engine. I could only hope she has seen me flick the switch up a few times and would figure it out before its too late. Mind you that is after she had changed her cloths because she would have wet herself laughing so much at my expense of course. :oops:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by ChrisH » 30 Oct 2017, 23:16

Previous boat I had a spare on board for exactly the reason you highlight.
The Mariah has a toggle kill switch. If the lanyard pulls away if flicks the switch down. But you can just flick it up again to restart without the lanyard if needed. Quite a nice solution really.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by mlines » 31 Oct 2017, 10:31

Yep - just flick the toggle up which you would have to do to clip in a new lanyard anyway
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Ianfs » 31 Oct 2017, 15:03

I bought one like this, it was all they had in the local shop and it looked like the old one.
744328_3.jpg
744328_3.jpg (72.66 KiB) Viewed 14905 times

However I am liking the knock out ones, they look wizzy. Thanks guys. :)

by ColinR » 01 Nov 2017, 08:27

Does nobody else think that throwing Laura out of the boat for dropping a fender is a bit harsh? Blimey Ian, you're a real tyrant when playing captain. I suppose she should be grateful that you then stopped to pick her up. Hate to think of the punishment for serving up a cold coffee! 50 lashes or a keel hauling?

We always carried 2 by the way. One attached and one easily available . The Larson had an override flip switch that could be used if the cord went missing.
User avatar
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

Location: Hampshire, England

by betty boop » 04 Nov 2017, 18:21

ColinR wrote:Does nobody else think that throwing Laura out of the boat for dropping a fender is a bit harsh? Blimey Ian, you're a real tyrant when playing captain. I suppose she should be grateful that you then stopped to pick her up. Hate to think of the punishment for serving up a cold coffee! 50 lashes or a keel hauling?

We always carried 2 by the way. One attached and one easily available . The Larson had an override flip switch that could be used if the cord went missing.

Oh Im sure if he was that bad the lovely Laura would have given him a slap back into place by now :lol: but if he is that horrible as Cap'n. then she is more than welcome on our boat. ;)
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 05 Nov 2017, 10:49

Does nobody else think that throwing Laura out of the boat for dropping a fender is a bit harsh? Blimey Ian, you're a real tyrant when playing captain. I suppose she should be grateful that you then stopped to pick her up. Hate to think of the punishment for serving up a cold coffee! 50 lashes or a keel hauling?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh Im sure if he was that bad the lovely Laura would have given him a slap back into place by now but if he is that horrible as Cap'n. then she is more than welcome on our boat.

Yep and more, hung drawn and quartered more like! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

by argonaut » 24 Dec 2017, 21:12

ChrisH wrote:Previous boat I had a spare on board for exactly the reason you highlight.
The Mariah has a toggle kill switch. If the lanyard pulls away if flicks the switch down. But you can just flick it up again to restart without the lanyard if needed. Quite a nice solution really.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Standard on Mercruiser controls.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut