Motor Boat Forum

Hardy boats

by ChrisH » 29 Oct 2017, 18:05

Anyone know much about Hardy boats. In particular the Seawings 254?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH
 
Posts: 322
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 17:13

by Ianfs » 30 Oct 2017, 10:02

The only hands on experience I have was being on a motor sailor back in the late 70's which was built when they first started building boats, the sea was a tad rough but it handled well.

Apart from that I know the Seawings was designed by the renowned naval architect Andrew Wolstenholme and I think they are based in Norfolk somewhere. I remember reading an article a few years ago that they were taken over by another Norfolk boat builder who was famous for making the fabulous and very well made Oyster Yachts.

They have a reputation for building very tough well made boats which can handle difficult seas. The larger versions like the 277 or the 314 seem to vary in price quite a lot.
Ianfs
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: 24 Nov 2014, 18:40
Location: Hampshire, by the Sea

by ChrisH » 30 Oct 2017, 23:21

Thanks Ian that's helpful. Yep the pricing is somewhat interesting.
Seems when you come down to the 254 the price drops a lot for some reason which I can't fathom.
I really like the style and the semi hard top cockpit idea with a sunroof. Thinking I might be more tempted to head out if the weather is not perfect.
Not seen one in the flesh yet.
Here is an example. https://m.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=537147


Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH
 
Posts: 322
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 17:13

by ColinR » 01 Nov 2017, 08:28

I've looked at a few, always seem very solid and seaworthy. Not exactly sporty but nice looking boats IMO.
User avatar
ColinR
 
Posts: 744
Joined: 25 Nov 2014, 17:32
Location: Hampshire, England

by ChrisH » 01 Nov 2017, 23:24

ColinR wrote:I've looked at a few, always seem very solid and seaworthy. Not exactly sporty but nice looking boats IMO.
Thanks Colin.. not too bothered about sporty.. we only ever cruise around in the bowrider anyway. What opinions are there on the kad32. I'm worried it will be underpowered but Tompa marine (those in South coast will know him ) thinks it would do 34kts. I don't want to take forever to get anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH
 
Posts: 322
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 17:13

by Ianfs » 02 Nov 2017, 11:48

Hi Chris.

Tom should know, he's very knowledgeable, however IMHO a little optimistic at 34knts, more like 24 methinks, but still very commendable and I would be more than happy to be corrected.

Think about this though, if it were flat calm your boat would do what flat out, 40kts something like that? Just guessing.

It's flat calm today in the West Solent so that would be possible. Bring on a sea breeze and a bit of a swell with some chop and you would struggle to get 20kts and possibly get a bit wet and we all know what the Solent chop can be like. :D

The Seawings hull looks very like a Failine 28/29/30 hull (basically the 28/29/30 are the same hull) therefore I would guess it would do all you want it to do with that engine. The KAD32 at 170HP superceded the AD31 producing 150 HP and produced the extra power because it had a compressor fitted.

I've done a quick Google search to find the 254 in Poole has a confusing advert, they dont seem to know which engine it has. It starts with a 4.5 V6 and ends up with a reconditioned 4.3 V6, but then doesn't say what the power is, could be 190 or 220 and the 4.5 is 250, but unlikely to be a 4.5. So at £22k for a '93 petrol they are being cheeky!

The one in Plymouth which is a '98 with the KAD32 looks a much better bet at £20k and with a nice blue hull too.
Ianfs
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: 24 Nov 2014, 18:40
Location: Hampshire, by the Sea

by ChrisH » 02 Nov 2017, 19:08

Ianfs wrote:Hi Chris.

Tom should know, he's very knowledgeable, however IMHO a little optimistic at 34knts, more like 24 methinks, but still very commendable and I would be more than happy to be corrected.

Think about this though, if it were flat calm your boat would do what flat out, 40kts something like that? Just guessing.

It's flat calm today in the West Solent so that would be possible. Bring on a sea breeze and a bit of a swell with some chop and you would struggle to get 20kts and possibly get a bit wet and we all know what the Solent chop can be like. :D

The Seawings hull looks very like a Failine 28/29/30 hull (basically the 28/29/30 are the same hull) therefore I would guess it would do all you want it to do with that engine. The KAD32 at 170HP superceded the AD31 producing 150 HP and produced the extra power because it had a compressor fitted.

I've done a quick Google search to find the 254 in Poole has a confusing advert, they dont seem to know which engine it has. It starts with a 4.5 V6 and ends up with a reconditioned 4.3 V6, but then doesn't say what the power is, could be 190 or 220 and the 4.5 is 250, but unlikely to be a 4.5. So at £22k for a '93 petrol they are being cheeky!

The one in Plymouth which is a '98 with the KAD32 looks a much better bet at £20k and with a nice blue hull too.
Thanks Ian. Really insightful. Wot currently is about 45mph on a very good day. Usually cruise between 30 and 35mph.. can hold high 20's in a low F2 but like you say it does not take much to make an uncomfortable ride and to get wet.
From photos the Plymouth one looksnin good nick. The Weymouth one I don't like the advert either. Feels over priced. One recently sold that was advertised for 15k with a petrol engine. This is nearer really where I want my budget to be.

Any other suggestions on what has a good seaworthy planing hull for the solent with a cuddy or cabin and not crazy expensive to run. Bearing in mind I am progressing from a 4.3mercuiser.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH
 
Posts: 322
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 17:13

by Ianfs » 02 Nov 2017, 20:23

Any other suggestions on what has a good seaworthy planing hull for the solent with a cuddy or cabin and not crazy expensive to run. Bearing in mind I am progressing from a 4.3mercuiser.


Gosh that is the real million dollar question. If you can enlarge the forum header photo take a look at James and Martins boat, the Regal 2250, it's handling the chop as if it wasn't there. For a cuddy it is superb, but I'm not sure about the economy.

What about a Sealine S24 or similar. Of course a lot depends upon finances.
Ianfs
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: 24 Nov 2014, 18:40
Location: Hampshire, by the Sea

by ian h » 02 Nov 2017, 21:51

ChrisH wrote:
Ianfs wrote:Hi Chris.

Any other suggestions on what has a good seaworthy planing hull for the solent with a cuddy or cabin and not crazy expensive to run. Bearing in mind I am progressing from a 4.3mercuiser.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


A good planning hull there has to be only 1 boat ............. :D Go for a Hunton.

I went from a Fletcher 17gts to a Hunton 36 It handles everything the Solent can throw at it :P
ian h
 
Posts: 215
Joined: 26 Nov 2014, 22:25

by ChrisH » 03 Nov 2017, 19:10

ian h wrote:
ChrisH wrote:
Ianfs wrote:Hi Chris.

Any other suggestions on what has a good seaworthy planing hull for the solent with a cuddy or cabin and not crazy expensive to run. Bearing in mind I am progressing from a 4.3mercuiser.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


A good planning hull there has to be only 1 boat ............. :D Go for a Hunton.

I went from a Fletcher 17gts to a Hunton 36 It handles everything the Solent can throw at it :P
Ha ha .. i will keep saving

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH
 
Posts: 322
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 17:13

Next

Return to Motor Boat Forum

cron